U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,653 times

Advertisements

I'm from Philadelphia and am considering accepting a job offer with a company in Ventura County. I know the areas are nice: Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, etc. There, however, don't seem to be many African-Americans in Ventura County, and there seems to be from my research a good deal of racial tension in the county. Do any of you have any thoughts or experience on what it would be like to move to this area as an African American?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM

4,610 posts, read 9,728,499 times
Hi julius17,

I never ever heard of any racial tension in the Thousand Oaks/ Westlake area. I lived there for almost 30 years.
There are very few African Americans in the area, that is true. But I know of a few and they are very successful. One is an assistant editor of a newspaper and the other is a doctor just to name a few.
I don't know why there isn't more living in the area but that is their choice.
Donna Summer, Will Smith and Tiger Woods all live or have lived in the area.

Last edited by Roma; 04-08-2007 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: add stuff.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,348,651 times
Default West Ventura County more diverse than east.

There was an ugly hate crime in Simi Valley last year. Four Caucasian teens attacked an African-American young man at a shopping mall in the middle of town during the middle of the day. The man's injuries included a broken leg. It was an aberration. Crime in Ventura County is low.

East Ventura County is predominantly Caucasian and conservative. The west County is liberal and diverse, with Latin and Caucasian majorities, followed by Asians, African-Americans and Native (Chumash) minorities. You wouldn't feel out of place in the west.

If your job is in the east, the cross-county commute is not too bad, from Oxnard/Ventura in the west, Simi is around 40 miles; Westlake/TO, 20 - 30 miles. You do have rail and inter-community express bus commuting options if you don't want to drive. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-08-2007 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM

16 posts, read 86,218 times
I lived in Thousand Oaks for 18 years, I graduated from TOHS in 96. There were probably 5-7 African Americans in my graduating class. They were all in the popular crowd at school. I don't remember EVER having racially related problems at school. In fact, Marion Jones (olympic sprinter) graduated from TOHS in 1993. I never saw a problem, people at our school were just people. Hope that helps!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM

4,610 posts, read 9,728,499 times
Like what cassaka2 said, There is NO racial tension in the Thousand Oaks/Westlake area. Hey cassaka2, I'm class of 84 from T.O. High.

P.S. The area is very expensive to live in and not everyone can afford to live there no matter what your race is.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,194 times
Smile Chiropractor in Ventura?

Hi.. I am a Chiropractor from Pasadena, CA. I am thinking of relocating to Ventura county and open my office there. My concern is that I am Asian and I dont know if there is any discrimination against Asian people or alternative health care providers?

thank you for any input you may have

Dr. Michael

Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelckyang View Post
Hi.. I am a Chiropractor from Pasadena, CA. I am thinking of relocating to Ventura county and open my office there. My concern is that I am Asian and I dont know if there is any discrimination against Asian people or alternative health care providers?

thank you for any input you may have

Dr. Michael
Can't imagine you'd have any problems with either. With the smaller population of Ventura County, you may not have the amount of clients as you would in Pasadena. To repeat an earlier post, west Ventura County is more diverse than the east, but your ethnicity shouldn't cause you problems anywhere in VC.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,370 times
Ventura County is not the ideal place for African Americans. There is probably less tension in the TO ,WLV area, but once you come down the grade (a mountenous area that connects), look out! I have been here for almost 40 years, and I can tell you things havent made an impact in the equality department.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Default How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespeaker View Post
Ventura County is not the ideal place for African Americans. There is probably less tension in the TO ,WLV area, but once you come down the grade (a mountenous area that connects), look out! I have been here for almost 40 years, and I can tell you things havent made an impact in the equality department.
Please share your 40 years of experiences. Got a for-instance or two of how west Ventura County hasn't "made an impact in the equality department" for African Americans?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 37,912 times
Smile i'd say go for it!

iv lived in ventura my whole life -the county seem's to be mostly made of of whites and mexicans but i don't think people would be rude to you,most people here are typical tree hugger california people-i don't think you would be judged-i know their used to be a few "WHITE POWER" gang's "the pierpont rat's" and some more in oakveiw/ojai but they seemed to have died out or gotten locked up-at least you don't see them roaming around.Most people here have learned to get along because their is such a large mexican population-those who don't "get along" seem to turn their hate on the mexicans because it's an easy target.Hate is anywhere you go but here in ventura county i dont think youll get any back wood's bigot's or people looking down on you,of course i can't speak for everyone but going to school here their wasnt much racism-i know my generation has been taught to look right though color and i know i do.Ventura co. is a beautiful place to live but the prices are HIGH so make sure the job is worth it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County