U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,355,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A short story. On applying for citizenship I was asked why I had held off for so many yrs.
Just curious who asked you why it took so long for you to seek naturalization? I'm also naturalized after many years of residing in the U.S. as a Resident Alien, and the only thing anyone commented on was my skill level with English. My hearing officer simply stated that my English was very good since I'd already lived in the U.S. for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM

14,850 posts, read 23,657,247 times
I didn't find much truth to TiminCal's post. I have lived most of my life in the Oxnard area. I was born in the old Saint Johns Hospital and grew up in Port Hueneme. Save for a couple years in Iowa and a 6 month stretch living in Taft, CA I have always been in the area. My wife has also grown up in Oxnard and has been here her entire life.

I did notice that Tim mainly posts in the Indiana forum a place he may know something about. As for me I am a resident expert on things Western Ventura County. If you want a more honest appraisal of the Oxnard area let me know.

One thing that I have been impressed with is the amount of redevelopment taking place within the city. Did you know we have a Fresh Choice on the South side of town? Amazing that they would put that there in an area that has traditionally been considered the bad part of town. Lots of great things are happening all over Oxnard. Lots of people need to come out and see what is happening to this great city.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM

6,481 posts, read 16,815,296 times
My time was during the Korea war. President Ike had signed a bill giving a waiver of the 5 yr requirement to aliens with a Green Card that served in Korea. I served in the US Army in North Korea as a Canadian citizen. Later after discharge happened to hear about the exemption bill. I went to the Immigration office in downtown LA Calif and spoke to the woman at the counter. She told me that the time limit given had expired and I would have to STAND IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Her attitude and voice did not set well with me so I held off for a number of yrs.

On my application appointment day I related what this woman had said to me and the man I spoke with said that she was not a repesentation of the American people and probably had a bad day. I was young at the time and took offense to her words.

I had served under the US flag in combat showing my allegiance to the country and this woman tells me that I have to stand in line like everyone else.

Today there are an estimated 55,000 Green card holders serving in the US Military.

Steve

Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
srl

6 posts, read 28,112 times
In looking at the origianl posting date, I can see that it was over a year, however I am truly hoping you decided against Oxnard. NO, NO, NO!!!! My husband and I are both teachers and trying desperately to get out of this city. The schools stink! They are mostly Spanish speaking environments and very low performing. There is a three mile stretch along the beach considered to be "beach community" however other than that you are in a dirty, crime, graffitti infested, uneducated city; and not condusive to raising a family. Anywhere you go outside of this three mile stretch is predominantly Spanish speaking and in some cases do not understand English at all. I have been to stores and asked for help when employees could not understand my question. There are many other "beach areas" to the south and closer to Los Angeles (Manhattan Beach, Newport, Huntington) probably more costly, but you get what you pay for in any area!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,276,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srl View Post
There are many other "beach areas" to the south and closer to Los Angeles (Manhattan Beach, Newport, Huntington) probably more costly, but you get what you pay for in any area!
"probably" and "costly" should be in size 144 Font and bold.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,037,561 times
One time I saw Kevin Spacy at the Ventura Theater doing Bobby Darin songs. At one point, a woman screamed "I want to have your baby!"

"You must be from Oxnard!" he retorted. HAH!

"I can say that because I'm from there," he added.

As for srl's post, I don't know what she's talking about. I lived in Ventura for 4 years. I wasn't wild about it for various reasons, but I never had issues with spanish-speaking only people not understanding me. ????

I think for some people Ventura & Oxnard are wonderful places to live. It just depends on what you want out of life and your interests.

Made me laugh.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,355,003 times
Quote:
In looking at the origianl posting date, I can see that it was over a year, however I am truly hoping you decided against Oxnard. NO, NO, NO!!!!
There is a three mile stretch along the beach considered to be "beach community" however other than that you are in a dirty, crime, graffitti infested, uneducated city; and not condusive to raising a family. Anywhere you go outside of this three mile stretch is predominantly Spanish speaking and in some cases do not understand English at all. I have been to stores and asked for help when employees could not understand my question.
Huh?! Guess sometimes we see only what our prejudices allow us to see.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM

2,497 posts, read 5,964,676 times
Quote:
In looking at the origianl posting date, I can see that it was over a year, however I am truly hoping you decided against Oxnard. NO, NO, NO!!!! My husband and I are both teachers and trying desperately to get out of this city. The schools stink! They are mostly Spanish speaking environments and very low performing. There is a three mile stretch along the beach considered to be "beach community" however other than that you are in a dirty, crime, graffitti infested, uneducated city; and not condusive to raising a family. Anywhere you go outside of this three mile stretch is predominantly Spanish speaking and in some cases do not understand English at all. I have been to stores and asked for help when employees could not understand my question. There are many other "beach areas" to the south and closer to Los Angeles (Manhattan Beach, Newport, Huntington) probably more costly, but you get what you pay for in any area!
I'm sorry, but guess we'll agree to disagree?
I visited a friend out in Oxnard in March and I liked the place. fyi- I am a white English only speaking guy from Indiana. Seems many of you who are rooted in SoCal have lost touch with how much of the U.S. lives. I also fell in love with Ventura downtown. Such a wonderful lively area at night! Before this trip I had only been to L.A. which I liked, but once I went up to Ventura and experienced that, Oxnard and Camarillo I now don't care much to L.A. (proper). Also we drove up a mountain to a lookout point with a giant cross and looked out over the city and ocean as the sun went down. Beautiful. Those things are not offered in the midwest, not like that. Be thankful you live in CA despite the slander the state is getting. All politics aside.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:55 AM

32 posts, read 57,431 times
Oy VEY!!!

(And I'm not even Jewish!)

(Tho I'd love a good NYC bagel!!!!)

Oxnard east of the beach strip is NOT some horror house full of horrors. I am white English-speaking-only, well-read and over-educated nerd--and I think Oxnard is cool! Most of my neighbors are Hispanic, quiet family types, and the few times I've been pleased to see truly artful graffiti on my outer back wall it's lasted only moments before the Graffiti Police came along and spray-painted it.

My back wall has so much paint on it, it dare never smile.

HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County