U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,424 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I currently live in Seattle and want to move to California in the next year. LA is a little out of our reach financially, but we came across the city of Oxnard and found homes within our reach ($400k). The town seemed great to me, near the beach, restaurants, etc. but I've read a lot of posts where people say the city is ghetto and filled with crime.

Can anyone give me a read on the town and let me know if it's worth moving to? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,328,716 times
Some places in Oxnard have a bad reputation. But, you know, we really need to know more about your situation.

Are you retiring? If not, where will you be working?
Kids? Ages? Be careful about schools. Most are not really high performing API in Oxnard.

check it out:

http://www.schoolperformancemaps.com...1%2C13%2C1%2C2

But otherwise, the weather there is great. Never hot, never cold, sometimes foggy but generally perfect. No traffic, unless you are heading towards LA.

One hour to the mountains (or 30 minutes to the Santa Monica Mountains), 30 minutes to Santa Barbara, one hour to LA (in no traffic - which doesn't mean much because there is always traffic).

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 15,424 times
I am 27 and my husband is 32 and currently we don't have any kids but we will want to start a family in a few years. It's funny you mention the education system because I am a teacher and my husband has his own business that he works from at home. We don't really have any predjudices amoung different ethnic groups, but we want to live in a safe, friendly environment.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:41 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,328,716 times
If it were me (and it is, in a way), I'd work that school performace map tool and also use Find All the Homes for Sale & Experienced Real Estate Agents | Redfin for house hunting. Redfin has lots of great info on it.

Also, check out the thread I started for people looking for homes in CA. It is a little weighted towards Orange County but it has lots of good general tools in it:

Useful Househunting tools

Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM

14,620 posts, read 23,120,975 times
I have lived in the area most of my adult life. I grew up in Port Hueneme a city that is surrounded by Oxnard on 2 sides, the Navy base to its west and the Pacific Ocean, south of the city. As an Oxnard resident I would say that the areas of interest would be the North Side, West Side, North East Side near St. Johns Hospital, although that is also near Colonia, an older area with project style apartments. In the North East side of the city between Rose Aveneue and Oxnard Blvd, south of Gonzales Road you will find some newer homes built between 2001 and 2007. Many of those homes are selling in the $300,000 to $400,000 range. A coworker that I know acquired 8 of those homes and would be happy to speak with you. Pacifica High School in that area was built during that same time frame. Riverpark is a townhome community at the North end of the city. They are still building in that community and you can buy new in the mid $200,000 range. Also RiverPark has a new K-5 and a new 6-8 school all part of the Rio School District. Two of our kids attend the middle school and love it. In our neigborhood south of Vineyard on the North end many homes built in the mid 1970's and early 1980's are selling in the high $200,000 range and low $300,000 range. The highest price I have seen currently is $310,000. On the west end just south of the Airport near Patterson and 5th Street is another newer development that has plenty of homes for sale. In 2007 many of those homes were in the $600 and $700,000 range. Today those are in the high $300,000 to mid $400,000 range. They are building a new grade school in the neighborhood, next to a beautifull park. It is just south of the Airport and Oxnard Airport is a feeder airport to LAX. I love to fly so for me it is not a problem. Oxnard is also mostly Hispanic. Not a problem for me as my wife is Mexican. Spanish is spoken in the area. Hope all of this helps.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM

246 posts, read 1,118,690 times
You have to pick the right parts of Oxnard as some are gang infested.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:23 AM

Although zotmeister is correct that Oxnard has a gang problem, the city had taken a hard line against gangs. Many of the gangs have taken their show on the road and do business in other cities now. Oxnard created a gang innitiative that makes it difficult for gangs to congrigate, associate, or do what ever it is that they do. Police have cracked down on the gang problem over the past four or five years. Gang related crime in the city on average is now lower than what you will find in Santa Barbara and probably even better than even Woodland Hills.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,182 times
Oxnard has many wonderful areas. I have taught there for almost 30 years and lived near the beach for about 4 years. If you are looking for a community feel with a lot of personality, I recommend Ventura.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,136,834 times
Sarah, if you are interested in Oxnard, you want Ventura.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM

I live in Oxnard and work in Ventura and for me I prefer to live in Oxnard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County