U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 21,704 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm considering relocating from MA to take a job in Thousand Oaks. I'd like to buy a house but Thousand Oaks is more than I can afford now. I heard the commute, depending where I live, would be long because of the traffic. Can you give me an idea of the driving time between Thousand Oaks and residential communities within 20 miles? My ideal commute time is within 20 minutes. How many miles within Thousand Oaks should I limit my search criterior in this case?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM

4,610 posts, read 9,679,752 times
Hi,
For a 20 minute commute, I would say a 20 miles radius is good. Housing is expensive all around that whole area though. You might find housing a little cheaper in some areas outside of TO, but they will not be cheap just cheaper (if you know what I mean.)

Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM

What are the typical heavy traffic hours in the morning and evening around Thousand Oaks?
Does it matter which direction I'd be going? For example, is the traffic lighter if I live in between LA and TO and driving toward TO in the morning, as opposed to drive from Camirillo toward TO?
I greatly appreciate any insight you can share!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 PM

96 posts, read 332,048 times
Default try north as well

rather than looking solely along the 101 corridor, try looking north as well. There is a highway 23 north that goes into Simi Valley. Being hotter/further from the coast, houses may be cheaper there. This is one of the safest areas in LA, and good schools.

I would guess that Camarillo is much cheaper than east of Thousand Oaks (Calabasas, Woodland Hills are expensive, though both have excellent schools).

There is a lot of new construction at the "bottom of the hill" in Camarillo, and the area is growing rapidly, as is Oxnard just west of there. Some people commute to Ventura, and prices are dropping faster there than elsewhere. The Camarillo-Oxnard area is heavily agricultural in vibe.
There's a large Premium Outlet mall in Camarillo too, and a newish Cinema. And it's faster for day trips to Santa Barbara etc.

However, if it was me, I'd much rather live in the Woodland Hills area, as you have good access to all that LA has to offer. We used to live in Calabasas and found that it was just that much outside of LA, that going to a party, concert or event was a chore, esp. the drive home. There's a traffic "squeeze" going east up the hill in Calabasas town also, esp. at rush hour.

air quality is better along the 101 corridor west of Woodland Hills, as you have the breezes from the coast coming up through the canyons. Just watch out for pesticide spraying in the thick of the agricultural areas.

If you want a really funky place to live, try Topanga Canyon. Known for its hippy/eco/artist feel.

oh, all that probably confused you more than helped. Each city does have its own charms, advantages, and disadvantages. If price is your first concern, go west or north.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:33 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,292,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aixinz2002 View Post
Hi, i'm considering relocating from MA to take a job in Thousand Oaks. I'd like to buy a house but Thousand Oaks is more than I can afford now. I heard the commute, depending where I live, would be long because of the traffic. Can you give me an idea of the driving time between Thousand Oaks and residential communities within 20 miles? My ideal commute time is within 20 minutes. How many miles within Thousand Oaks should I limit my search criterior in this case?
Thanks!
You would be within reasonable commuting distance if you limit your search to Ventura in the west and the west San Fernando Valley in the east. If you find a place in the SFV, you'd have a reverse commute, as most people would be traveling from the TO area towards LA at the time you're commuting to TO. I've worked with people in TO who do this (commute from LA) and it really works out for them.

If you decide to live in Camarillo, Oxnard or Ventura (northwest of TO), your commute could be tougher. Your one-way drive could be as short as 30 minutes or as long as 2 hours, particularly in the afternoon.

As others have pointed out, consider cities to the north, Moorpark and Simi Valley.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM

26,347 posts, read 76,626,913 times
Since your ideal commute time is 20 minutes, I would recommend south Thousand Oaks, North Thousand Oaks, West Thousand Oaks, or East Thousand Oaks.
If you're willing to drive (Google earth radius) 20 miles, then you can commute from the friendly confines of Van Nuys (one hour minimum at 8AM), or splendid Oxnard (45 minutes at 8AM).

Just remember graffiti is art. It adds value to the community.

If you happen to have in your pocket a couple million for a house, then you can easily cut your drive down to 30 minutes and live in decent school districts and purchase a nice 2000 sqft home in Westlake Village, Calabasas, Agoura, or Woodland Hills.

Regardless of your choice of where to live in paradise Southern California, please don't despair, at least you can enjoy the weather from inside your office and inside your car and inside your home.

Charles

Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Very Very Helpful! Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I surely feel better informed now and am ready to get started to find my most ideal place to live!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 AM

111 posts, read 515,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post

If you decide to live in Camarillo, Oxnard or Ventura (northwest of TO), your commute could be tougher. Your one-way drive could be as short as 30 minutes or as long as 2 hours, particularly in the afternoon.
I lived in Camarillo for about 4 years, and now I live in Oxnard. Making a commute to Thousand Oaks from Oxnard, Camarillo or even Ventura will NOT take you 2 hours... I've commuted from Camarillo to Malibu, and the most it ever took me to make it home was about 50 to 55 minutes. And Malibu is much further away from Camarillo, than TO is.

I would say that a 20 minute commute to Thousand Oaks from Camarillo is very realistic. You'd be fine... Also, some areas in Camarillo are just as expensive as Thousand Oaks, but you can find homes in Oxnard in the mid $400's, you just have to work with an agent to do so.

PM if you need info on an real-estate agent. My friend is doing a deal for a couple on a home in Oxnard for about $465K, and believe me that's a great price for this area.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM

9,495 posts, read 2,186,089 times
I live in Thousand Oaks, but do drive on the freeways and I see all the traffic! Commute times INTO Thousand Oaks from the S.F. Valley would be easy, as the majority of traffic is going the other way. You could probably find reasonable housing in the west SF valley.

INTO Thousand Oaks from Simi/Moorpark is not so easy. The 23 freeway is stopped or going very slow during rush hours. There are alternate routes, but they are pretty clogged too. I'd say it would probably take 30-40 minutes depending on how far into Simi or Moorpark you were & what part of TO you want to get to. Now, if there is an accident or something, then it would take a heck of a lot longer! They are expanding the 23 freeway and that 'may' help a bit. Simi & Moorpark are nice, safe towns. You can of course find not-so-nice areas, too. I hope that you plan on spending some time looking around at the various areas before committing to anything.

Coming INTO Thousand Oaks from Camarillo/Oxnard is slow, too. Not as bad as the traffic from Simi/Moorpark, though. Camarillo is about a 10 min drive with NO traffic. Oxnard is further, at some points it's a 30 minute drive even without traffic. Also, Oxnard is a pretty 'iffy' place, there are nicer areas and then some areas that are really bad. Be really careful if you choose to move to Oxnard - make sure you check out the neighbhorhood really carefully. Camarillo is really a nice city. It would be my recommendation if you definitely cannot afford TO/NP.

My 2 cents .. I don't think it is the time to buy a house ANYWHERE in this area right now. Prices are falling, and I dont think they are at the bottom yet (but of course I am not an expert). I would rent first, then figure out where you want to live & then buy later.

I also suggest visiting the local police station and get info on neighborhoods, no matter where you choose to live. They will give you unbiased info.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,292,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
I lived in Camarillo for about 4 years, and now I live in Oxnard. Making a commute to Thousand Oaks from Oxnard, Camarillo or even Ventura will NOT take you 2 hours...
Admittedly, most of the time it'll take less than 2 hrs. between TO and the west county, but the northbound commute from the TO area can take a while on occasion. In my experience, the drive has ranged from around 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Cause? Just traffic. No major accidents, no lane closures, just a lot of northbound traffic. True, it's not the norm everyday, but Friday afternoons or days leading up to holidays, be prepared to wait. Brutal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County