Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 AM

14 posts, read 87,950 times

Advertisements

Another one of our few choices to transfer. I have 2 young kids who are homeschooled so we don't care about schools, just somewhere that is affordable and safe to live, within 30 minutes of here. Does that exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
It depends what you mean by affordable. Probably everything decent within 30 minutes will be in the $400 per square foot price range. The weather on the Oxnard plain is excellent (I worked at Point Mugu for ten years.) As far as safety is concerned: Parts of Ventura, parts of Oxnard, parts of Saticoy, parts of Port Hueneme and most of Camarillo have nice places to live. Newbury Park and Thousand Oaks are outstanding places to live and are probably even more expensive and are probably right at or slightly farther than 30 minutes away depending on where in Oxnard (downtown vs. the 1/101 interchange). Check realtor.com for prices.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
Another one of our few choices to transfer. I have 2 young kids who are homeschooled so we don't care about schools, just somewhere that is affordable and safe to live, within 30 minutes of here. Does that exist?
Just for clarification, where is "here"? Oxnard?

In Ventura, I'd avoid the lower Avenue area, lower Montalvo and parts of Saticoy. Affordable and safe would be mid-town and parts of east Ventura. Hills and beaches are expensive. In Oxnard at the moment you can find some great deals on single-family homes in the inland west-side neighborhoods. These are family-oriented, low-crime, working-class areas. Nothing special, but you'll be left alone, and the prices these days are pretty good considering that you'd be within a couple of miles of the harbor and beach. North Oxnard is nice, but pricey. The old neighborhood of Colonia and South Oxnard have the highest crime potential. The beach, of course, is expensive. There are also some hidden gems in Port Hueneme. Camarillo and Newberry Park/Thousand Oaks are mostly safe, but can be expensive.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 AM

73 posts, read 448,885 times
The scenery is nice just a short drive from Oxnard along the 101N. But be careful where you live in Oxnard. I took a business trip to Point Mugu Naval Air Station, and the surrounding residential neighborhood appears to be a crime ridden area migrant farm workers. I walked into the local 711 and it was an atmosphere of ditry looks for no reason, like someone would like to start a fight just for fun. Try to choose the part of town carefully, probably the northern side is nicer.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:18 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
The scenery is nice just a short drive from Oxnard along the 101N. But be careful where you live in Oxnard. I took a business trip to Point Mugu Naval Air Station, and the surrounding residential neighborhood appears to be a crime ridden area migrant farm workers. I walked into the local 711 and it was an atmosphere of ditry looks for no reason, like someone would like to start a fight just for fun. Try to choose the part of town carefully, probably the northern side is nicer.
Fpbear is correct. Pick wisely. It's a whole different ball game in Oxnard.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 AM
MKW

40 posts, read 160,341 times
I'd avoid Oxnard all together. The price difference between Oxnard and some of the surrounding areas is not that big and you will probably be able to find somewhere with a short enough commute without actually living in Oxnard.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,089 times
Thumbs up Grown in Oxnard

Hi. My first post. I was surprised to see Oxnard as a topic since I spent my first 35 years growing up in Oxnard. My memories take me as far back as lemon orchards all around us and the population of Oxnard then was about 35,000 and it was tough on the streets.

I bet it is close to or has surpassed 200,000? 1998 was the last time I was there to sell the family homestead and root my own family here in the Twin Ports (Superior,WI) for good. We've been here 12 years now.

Some of the geography around the big lake here really lends itself to remind me of Oxnard and the Ventura coastal areas. But it seems much nicer here. More spread out and open. Much closer to nature in the wild. No lines to wait in, no 5 mile per hour 15 mile long traffic jams like on the 101 freeway, no cloudy glasses of water out of the tap here, even though I hear selenium which is in high natural levels in Oxnard water is a plus.

I know I'm starting to ramble, so I'll go, but if anyone wants info about Oxnard or for that matter the Twin Ports, holler at me.

Last edited by D.T.; 05-19-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: didn't mean to, sorry!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:21 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Oxnard has high murder and robbery rates. But some of the other stats in regard to crime are okay compared to the national average:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Oxnard has high murder and robbery rates. But some of the other stats in regard to crime are okay compared to the national average:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/url]
Great site, thanks, RobE, for posting the linkModerator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed. Nice feature the way you can compare cities side by side.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:09 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 PM

27 posts, read 88,262 times
I work in South Oxnard. I would not consider the area I work 'un-safe', but the homes are definitely taking a turn for the worse in their up-keep and the amount of cars parked in front. The north part of Oxnard is pretty nice. Some of my daughter's friends live up there.

Also, if you are talking about being close to a job in Oxnard, consider looking in Camarillo as well. Prices are coming down on some really nice single family homes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County