U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,059 times

Advertisements

I am getting stationed at Port Hueneme soon, I was interested in buying a condo near H st and Gonzales. Also, there a few units open in the complex. They say they are all foreclosures. What does this mean exactly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 AM

104 posts, read 415,982 times
I know this isn't relevant, but I can't even say the word "Oxnard" without cracking up.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:04 AM

103 posts, read 371,989 times
I was interested in buying a condo near H st and Gonzales.
DON'T DO IT!
These are older, run down and in a bad neighborhood!
People were buying like crazy a couple years ago, these were "cheap," people bought in, but they did not appreciate and are losing money now.

If you're looking for a condo, I'd look around Gonzales and Ventura Rd (Oxnard), by St. John's hospital (Gonzales and Rose) or somewhere in Port Hueneme.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:42 AM

11 posts, read 30,059 times
Funny, the real estate agent was talking about how such a good area N. Oxnard is and everything.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM

103 posts, read 371,989 times
Yes, this is North Oxnard, but not the best part. It's right by a busy street and just not that great looking. Have you been over there yet? I was in the Navy in this area too...but stationed in Point Mugu. Camarillo is my recommendation (we rented there for three year, before buying in less expensive Oxnard). It's a tad more expensive, but worth more in the long run.
Do you have children? Camarillo has better schools. I was PTA President at a school close to the area you're looking into and the parent involvement was horrible. The school district was a joke...

I know a lot about that area, so ask away!

By the way I just sold a condo down the street on Gonzales. PM me if you need more info.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,263,410 times
Thumbs up Inland West Oxnard, near beach/harbor without the $million+ price

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTroutman View Post
Funny, the real estate agent was talking about how such a good area N. Oxnard is and everything.
There are some overlooked neighborhoods in west Oxnard. If you're on the Navy Base, I'd recommend the neighborhoods west of Ventura Road along Wooley Road (west to Victoria Ave) -- just around the corner from the base.

Though you'll find condos here, it's mostly single-family homes (built in the 60s, 70s and 80s) and working-class families. The area is very low crime, family oriented, parks, kids on bikes, etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 AM

840 posts, read 1,922,120 times
10 murders a year is a high rate lol you consertives suffer from mass hysteria..so what does that make San,Fransisco,Berkely killing fields ?

To the orginal poster of this thread... dont buy into the high rising crime.. the media just nothing else to report on.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 PM

17 posts, read 115,613 times
I agree, the condos on Gonzales and H just aren't the best. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they're really apartments that have been turned into condos. You can get much better elsewhere. There are low cost condos in Port Hueneme in what's called the Marina Village area, off of Victoria and Hemlock. They're all 2 +1 with a single car shared garage. Not bad for the price. If you're out of state and need a way to look at what's on the market, try www.ziprealty.com....you (broken link) can search by zip code or city. Best of luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM

12 posts, read 33,607 times
Default Buy Condo Elsewhere

Just doing comparisons in my own hunt, I've lived in neighboring Camarillo and Ventura a total of 17 years. In all seriousness, I absolutely can't fathom how City-Data legitimately figures Oxnard to have a crime rate anywhere below the national average, else America would be self-destructing. Unless they're counting all uninhabited lemon orchards along with a chunk of the Pacific Ocean into square mileage.

Oxnard not only has a shooting gallery across from a strip club, but is a shooting gallery in its own right. I don't need newspapers to know that - just to hear it from the folks who've lived there. I had the opportunity three times to consider doing that, and have no regrets turning down the cheaper rent, cheaper for a reason. Particularly when I first came to Ventura Co., the apartments I checked out were dumps, banged up and full of black widows. Sure, I'd walk away a few blocks into what seemed to be pretty nice neighborhoods with cute colorful houses and condos, except that cop cars kept showing up down the block. Recently, I got to work there, as our company had just moved to an industrial park area. They always kept the front door locked with nothing but a lawn and parking lot across the street. In my nine months there, we had one a.m. car burglary, one night where I had to call the cops on a drunkard in the bushes, and another where I perhaps helped a crack girl from being assaulted or worse in our own lot.

Unfortunately, with all the ag fields and Latino city population, Oxnard in particular a natural magnet for illegals living 20+ to an apartment. I certainly wouldn't say there aren't any intelligent, educated hispanics, most of whom are nicer to me than whites. One of those who went to a nearby high school described Oxnard as, "Where the Sewer Meets the Sea." North Oxnard is the "better" area on the freeway side with newer homes and more going up; and seaward, there's the small harbor, and a thin, encroached stretch of expensive beachfront property, where a lot of those nice condos are. But they basically remain the outskirts of a giant central dump, where you'd be a dope to walk alone at night. Don't even think about it.

Hueneme's town "center" looks slightly better, but again, it's not the nice homes and condos - it's what lives right next door. PH isn't a whole lot better.

I would advise commuting from Camarillo or Ventura, whose bad spots are Barry street and the far west side of Ventura Ave. respectfully. But at least they're spots. Neither city is perfect, but in most areas, the night sidewalks are plenty safe.

- CN

Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 AM

12 posts, read 33,607 times
Default City Data Crime Stats

Just to reassure myself and yourself, I did a quick check of this site's crime index, and (with numbers rounded) it's not all that reliable.

Simi Valley, CA (often voted safest city in U.S.) - 140
U.S. Average - 325
Los Angeles - 408
Omaha, NE - 446
Portland, OR - 561
Boston, MA - 597
Camden, NJ - 917
Detroit, MI - 1042

This makes sense only to a limited extent. There is no practical way, other than some creativeness with zip codes, that Los Angeles and South Central end up "safer" than Omaha or Portland. Sorry.

You can read about Oxnardian's opinions on Oxnard in another post.

- CN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County