Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM

24 posts, read 42,834 times

Advertisements

We'll be visiting Ventura next month for a job interview. What should we see in the area to help us get the most realistic (good and the bad) idea of what life would be like there? We are a family of 4 with 2 elementary age children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Rent or buying? What is your price range?
What kind of housing (SFR, condo, etc)?
What age of home would be ideal?

Start researching online now where you would consider living based on price range, schools, amenities, traffic, City-Data forum recommendations, distance from "Plan B" job opportunities (in case he loses the Ventura job), and demographics. Go to Google Maps street view and see if it looks like a place you would like to live. You should be able to identify at least one candidate community, maybe two or three.

When you arrive, visit these communities, test drive the commute to work, drive to the store, drive to the schools, try to replicate your real day to day activities. Go inside the schools and look at the kids: do they look cheerful? Is the school clean? Do the parents look like they are proactive? Are there a lot of academic after school clubs like computer, robotics, French, music, technology, etc?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Definitely renting, will still be paying mortgage on an unsellable home we will be moving from. Don't want to visit tourist traps. Want to know where locals go to beach, eat, hike/bike, etc.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Ventura itself is a very nice place to visit, beach, eat, and live. There are neighborhoods for singles, families, and retired people. One negative about it is the "Plan B" thing. Are there backup jobs either on the Oxnard Plain, the Conejo Valley, or the Santa barbara area? If you are renting, then I guess it doesn't make that much difference - you can just pick up and move.
Lots of neat hiking at Point Mugu, the Santa Monica Mountains, and in the mountains north of Ventura, Ojai, Santa Paula, back in there. Lots of excellent cycling from Ventura , Santa Paula, Filmore, Moorpark, and Ojai.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,976,804 times
I know this will pizz off the folks who run this site, but, for a laundry list of places to see, restaurants to try, things to do... tripadvisor and yelp would be your best bets. For in-depth questions that are more interactive with posters, this site is the place. As for in-depth coverage of restaurants, I'd also add chowhound in the mix.
Take a drive up to Santa Barbara, if you've never been to the area and have time to 'vacation'.
....makes me wonder who's hiring these days in Ventura. Don't tell, if you don't want to...just my curiosity getting the best of me. Great area to live, btw!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I know this will pizz off the folks who run this site, but, for a laundry list of places to see, restaurants to try, things to do... tripadvisor and yelp would be your best bets. For in-depth questions that are more interactive with posters, this site is the place. As for in-depth coverage of restaurants, I'd also add chowhound in the mix.
Here's another one I use a lot when on travel for restaurants and hotels:

Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,905,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califbound View Post
We'll be visiting Ventura next month for a job interview. What should we see in the area to help us get the most realistic (good and the bad) idea of what life would be like there?
Drive from Point Mugu down to Zuma Beach and back. Stop at Leo Carrillo State Beach and check it out.

If your family likes to hike, if you have some time, and it's sunny out, stop at Sycamore Canyon (state park) and take a hike there. Check out this trail if you can hike hills (or even better this trail if it's maintained and not overrun with poison oak). Go to the "side trail" that overlooks the ocean from the hill (the picture in the blog is from that location). That sold me on California

It helps if you like the outdoors and take advantage of 75 deg weather in the middle of February. Sycamore canyon is also mountain bike mecca, as well as numerous other biking and hiking locations of all difficulties.

From Ventura, if you have a day, drive to Santa Barbara or Ojai as well to get a feel of what's around the area.

All of these places are day trips from Ventura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by califbound View Post
We are a family of 4 with 2 elementary age children.
Don't forget that Ventura is also a day trip for places like Disneyland. Or for more than a day, Legoland!

Last edited by jkbatca; 02-15-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Take a drive up to Santa Barbara, if you've never been to the area and have time to 'vacation'.
....makes me wonder who's hiring these days in Ventura. Don't tell, if you don't want to...just my curiosity getting the best of me. Great area to live, btw!

Thanks for the info...it's a medical facility in Ventura County.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,247,875 times
Make sure to try the local eateries...I have a food blog that I can send to you if you'd like. I haven't updated it since last year but some of my favorite places are on the list!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,461,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Make sure to try the local eateries...I have a food blog that I can send to you if you'd like. I haven't updated it since last year but some of my favorite places are on the list!
and the best steak in Ventura is found?.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County