U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM

43 posts, read 169,031 times

Advertisements

My child just got accepted to this school for Kindergarten, University Prep Channel Islands CSU in Camarillo California. Parent reviews from another website seem really promising, but I am also concerned because the test scores compared to other schools are very low.

Can anyone answer why the scores are so low?

Also why is it that a huge majority of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it makes me wonder....

Can anyone tell me more about the education they will get compared to a public school. How does your child that does not know any spanish do in the dual language program which is tought only in spanish from the very beginning? Is that why they have low test scores???

Please give opinions on this Charter school, very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,026,349 times
I don't know anything about this particular school, but one thing to be aware of is that public school funding is tied to test score performance and not college prep, so the value of test scores can be difficult to apply to the value of the school in preparing for college(or laying a proper foundation, which test-score friendly elementary school curricula like Everyday Math fail to do).

That said, it's an elementary school, so who knows. If it was a high school or had been around long to have kids graduating to college(and CSUCI hasn't been around long enough I don't think for that to happen) you could check graduation and acceptance rates, but that isn't the case. I'd say your best bet would be to talk to parents of kids that have graduated out of the school in to the local middle schools and ask how they measured up against the kids that didn't attend that specific school

Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,196,111 times
I work in education so I will try to answer your questions. Many of the kids on the free lunch program are English Language Learners. Ventura County (in particular Oxnard and Camarillo) attracts many transient families coming in and out for work due to the seasonal agriculture jobs. This doesn't give students time to really learn English and keep up with the education standards that CA has for EVERY student (regardless of language or situation which is stupid but that's another story). Hence low test scores. The whole thing with testing in CA is ridiculous. Of course the schools with more monolingual speakers or students who can read and write fluently in English test better. They can read the damn test! Oy. Sorry had to vent! Our state is a mess right now.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
The school offers an amazing Spanish Language Immersion program. The problem with the test scores in California is that they test for English Comprehension, not a focus of this school. People send their kids there to be a part of this amazing program. Everyone that I know that sends their kids there wanted the school for the immersion program. By the time the kids hit 6th grade everything adjusts and they are not only on track with their English only counterparts, but they know and speak Spanish as well.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:55 PM

43 posts, read 169,031 times
Thanks everyone! Any parents out there that has kids that went through this school and already graduated. Just curious of how they did and went on to college. I know every kid is different and their situation. Would like to know of any bad or good experiences and any body else's opions please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County