Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 24,309 times

Advertisements

Ok so just doing a little comparison.. verses these two cities

weather... i hear theres a lot of fog in these ares, which one has less

public transportation/easily walkable or bikable... basically how easy will life be without a car

night life

relaxed atmosphere

living expenses... basicly like things at the grocery store

nice beach(es)

younger community

interesting sites to visit, museums, parks, stores... etc.

anything else you'd like to add thats great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
The fog in Santa Cruz county isn't a constant ... it rolls in and out and there are many days when there is no fog and much of the county has little to no fog at all and often, when inland a bit (like just a few miles) if it is a fog day, the fog will lift by late morning (sometimes earlier) and sometimes it will return in the late afternoon / early evening.
Aptos, if you're close to the coast, can often be foggy when just down the road in Soquel (for example), there will be no fog.
Or the center of Soquel can be foggy but just a mile east, no fog.
It's unpredictable and it's also lovely and a nice relief for those who live in the more inland parts of the county (like Felton, Boulder Creek, etc. ... up in the mountains) where it can get quite hot.

I've already provided a detailed post to you about the bus system, the bike friendliness of the county and the ease with which you can access those things that you said were important.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-22-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Santa Cruz would be my choice. NorCal has a different feel than SoCal. I prefer NorCal, but that is just me.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Kauai is reel nice...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Santa Cruz would be my choice. NorCal has a different feel than SoCal. I prefer NorCal, but that is just me.
me too.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I'm partial to Ventura, but both places have a lot going for them. Almost anywhere on the CA coast, with the exception of the far north, are going to be expensive. No getting around that. The weather will be somewhat better, less rainy down south, but that doesn't mean the weather is bad up the coast. Both places deserve a visit and you'll probably like both.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 PM

And the rains comes in the winter (generally Nov-April) so if you're just planning a stay for the summer (i think you said that in your other thread?) it won't be an issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:56 PM

thanks for the information guys! from this post and the last one i'm really starting to consider santa cruz. i'm planning on flying out with my dad to look at a few pre-researched apartments so i will be able to fly back if i don't like it but i'm doing alot of research so hopefully i will fall in love

Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Any chance you could visit both while out here - take a little drive and enjoy the scenery?

At the very least if you do come to Santa Cruz drive a little bit south to Monterey, visit the aquarium, Point Lobos, etc... The Big Sur coastline is one of the most scenic coastal areas in the state. And it starts with Point Lobos.

You would probably also really like San Luis Obispo (~ 1/2 way between Ventura and SC) which is basically a college town with a lot of young pp along the Central Coast. Its a bit inland from Morro Bay and Los Osos.

I agree with coyoteskye about the fog not always being an issue. I we haved lived in both SoCal and Central Cal. And we prefer it here. But summer is foggy season along the Central Coast which doesn't bother us so much. Its natures A/C which cools things down. And if we ever want some more sun we just drive inland a bit. I usually tell folks that our Summer weather is really in the Spring and Fall when it is warmest/sunniest here. But since you are just coming for summer and will not have a car I'm not sure if this would be your best choice. While not every day is foggy it is common during the summer. Ventura and even San Diego have June Gloom as well. But is is just warmer overall during the summer months there - air, water, less wind. And you can go in the ocean without a wetsuit. The water temp is more pleasant.

San Diego is the warmest overall during the summer months - many young college age people down there too.

But Santa Cruz is still a cool place for a young person to hang out. So it really depends on you and your preferences. If you can handle some summer fog, wind and colder ocean temps then SC should be fine. There will be some sunny days with no wind along the Central Coast in the Summer, just not every day. And every year is a little different. But normally I think there are more cooler days with some fog than not.

I don't want to discourage you but rather give you both sides of the coin so you are not surprised when you encounter the cooler summer weather.

Enjoy your trip,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-23-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM

thanks for the info Mtnsurfer. I would actually be coming down for like mid july till Feburary.. seems like a random time period but i just want an interesting experience while waiting for my americorps departure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County