Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5442 View Post
camarillo is a great city. no crime. wealthy. good schools. i'm from santa paula (whick is in vetura county) and it's a ****hole (crime, drugs, gangs), but anyone would love to live in camarillo
Maybe anyone that lives in Santa Paula?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
I've lived a few places in Ventura Co. over the course of my life and Camarillo was my favorite. You may find a nice place to rent in your price range in the Mission Oaks area of Camarillo. Although don't quote me on that. Newbury Park is also a great area. Avoid Santa Paula like the plague. Ok, that's a bit exagerated but really, not that great.

Also, as someone else mentioned, living in NP you could take Potrero to the airport. It dumps you off right at Lewis Rd. and it's a few miles in the farmland to the airport. I drove Potrero from Westlake Village for a while and it was a therapeutic drive. I cleared my head from the work day.

Best of luck to you in your search. You've got tons of great options to choose from.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
What are the most walkable areas of Camarillo?

We would like be within a 1/2 mile walk to a good elementary school, a park, and casual shopping - hoping to spend $500k or so on a modest 3/2 SFR.

Any advice on a neighborhood that fits that criteria?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
I'm sure one of our regular posters will answer this question for you shortly I am more familiar with the areas of Simi Valley, Moorpark & Thousand Oaks.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 15,051 times
New Member, Camarillo resident. First I might have to take offense with the comment concerning Camarillo schools, My wife is a teacher in the district, and my mother in law is a retired teacher in the district. I have 1 son in college, that went all the way through PV school district, a second son that just started at Cam High, and a daughter that has just entered kindergarten, and I have been happy with the experience.
I live in the Old Town section, and have been there for 27 years. Old Town is on the same side of the freeway as the airport, and the Premium Outlet center. I have absolutely no problem with my wife walking anywhere in town, usually at night. We live within a half mile walk of the outlet, and the Old Town shopping strip, as well as the Sat. Farmers Market. My wifes 5 mile walk takes her to most of downtown Camarillo. I feel that Camarillo is a very family friendly town.
If you have any further questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

Lance

Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceA View Post
Old Town is on the same side of the freeway as the airport, and the Premium Outlet center. I have absolutely no problem with my wife walking anywhere in town, usually at night. We live within a half mile walk of the outlet, and the Old Town shopping strip, as well as the Sat. Farmers Market. My wifes 5 mile walk takes her to most of downtown Camarillo. I feel that Camarillo is a very family friendly town.
If you have any further questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.
Thanks Lance. What streets/area would you recommend that offers walkability to schools, parks and shopping?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 15,051 times
As I had said, most of Old Towne (Ventura Blvd.) is easily within walking distance to everything but elementary school. Mission Oaks (Mission Oaks Blvd.) is also within walking to all the same amenities except for High School. Mission Oaks is a newer section (last 30 years) of town, the lots are smaller, and tend towards 2 story to get larger square footage. Village at the Park is a very new development, many homes are still being built in the area of Pleasant Valley Rd and Village Commons Blvd. That is where my daughters elementary school is located, it is a bit of a drive from my home, but it is a new school (2 years). If you map the area on Google, and zoom out a little, right across the 101 fwy is Camarillo High, and if you move a little farther North on the map, you can see the Mission Oaks area. If you follow the 101 to the west approximately 1 mile, you will see Carmen Drive. Travel a little south across the 101, and you will be in the Old Town Section (Ventura Blvd, mostly between Arneill and Carmen). There are few places in town that aren't within short walking distance to almost everything you want. Again don't hesitate to ask, I love living here, most police officers will tell you they are almost bored working here, and I would recommend it to anyone. As others have mentioned, Newbury Park is nice, the traffic back and forth has gotten bad, but it is inland vice Camarillo's coastal weather, so, during the summer Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks can be as much as 15 degrees hotter than here.

Lance

Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Visited Camarillo today and was just not impressed.

There is a lack of a core, just a bunch of homes spread out with the main shopping areas hugging the 101 and homes that stretch deep inland. Old town looks great and is definitely the highlight of the city. It just feels so car-dependent once you settle on a home with a good school.

I am sadly crossing it off the list knowing the drive to SFV for work might be that much more challenged if we end up in Ventura proper. At this point, midtown looks to be the most walkable plus offers great schools. Simi is too hot, TO is hot AND is not walkable and Moorpark is too "blah" for the missus. I can't find a decent school in Oxnard, much less ones that feed solid middle and high schools (at least as parent ratings and scores go). Picky, I know.

We're don't want to end up in a place that requires driving everywhere for the basics (school, groceries and parks). We bike now but are situated on a hill, so the ride home is a grind.

Incidentally, estately seems to be the only home search engine that incorporates walkscores into search results (as a filter only). Not too shabby but the interface lags behind some of the others (redfin, zip, even realtor).

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Visited Camarillo today and was just not impressed.

There is a lack of a core, just a bunch of homes spread out with the main shopping areas hugging the 101 and homes that stretch deep inland. Old town looks great and is definitely the highlight of the city. It just feels so car-dependent once you settle on a home with a good school.
I don't know why you didn't like the Mission Oaks (east) area of Camarillo. Can walk or bike to just about everywhere we want in Camarillo, although you may cross a couple of busy streets.

If you're looking for "hip" places to go to, probably Ventura or Santa Barbara will be better than Camarillo.

However, the longer you live in CA, the more you will probably just hop in your car instead of using mass transportation or bike/walk. Using your car pretty much describes most of Southern California. Only some older towns, like Ventura, Santa Barbara, Carpenteria, or downtown Oxnard is going to have a real centrally located "downtown". If you're coming from the east coast, the way you get around is probably going to change. That's what happened for me.

Quote:
I am sadly crossing it off the list knowing the drive to SFV for work might be that much more challenged if we end up in Ventura proper. At this point, midtown looks to be the most walkable plus offers great schools. Simi is too hot, TO is hot AND is not walkable and Moorpark is too "blah" for the missus. I can't find a decent school in Oxnard, much less ones that feed solid middle and high schools (at least as parent ratings and scores go). Picky, I know.
Personally, in my opinion, the closer you live to where you work, the better commuting wise. Traffic on the 101 / 118 / 23 isn't getting any better. Your aversion to hot weather isn't going to make your choice any easier if you're working in SFV!!!

Quote:
We're don't want to end up in a place that requires driving everywhere for the basics (school, groceries and parks). We bike now but are situated on a hill, so the ride home is a grind.
As said before, only older towns are going to have an "east coast" style downtown area. Many newer areas will have more sprawl (Camarillo, TO, Simi, et al.). Many communities will have a local grocery store within walking distance, but that's about it. Anything more means hopping into a car.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I don't know why you didn't like the Mission Oaks (east) area of Camarillo. Can walk or bike to just about everywhere we want in Camarillo, although you may cross a couple of busy streets.
Perhaps we didn't dive deeper into that area. We drove down Mission Oaks Blvd and into a few nabes (the "leisure" shopping or something similar comes to mind). Perhaps you can advise on a few streets that offer a good setup?

Quote:
If you're looking for "hip" places to go to, probably Ventura or Santa Barbara will be better than Camarillo.
Not hip, just well-organized. Perhaps authentic. Irvine offers the organization we like, Burbank has the hip factor but is also extremely well laid out.

Quote:
However, the longer you live in CA, the more you will probably just hop in your car instead of using mass transportation or bike/walk. Using your car pretty much describes most of Southern California.
We're natives. And for the past year, we've opted for cycling and walking instead of driving. That, along with an aversion to heat, is why we're moving.

Quote:
Personally, in my opinion, the closer you live to where you work, the better commuting wise. Traffic on the 101 / 118 / 23 isn't getting any better. Your aversion to hot weather isn't going to make your choice any easier if you're working in SFV!!!
Tell me about it. Been working and living in SFV for three years and it is grinding. I love my job, just hate where it is. The closest cool weather is in Malibu/Pacific Palisades, just a non-starter budget-wise.

Quote:
As said before, only older towns are going to have an "east coast" style downtown area. Many newer areas will have more sprawl (Camarillo, TO, Simi, et al.). Many communities will have a local grocery store within walking distance, but that's about it. Anything more means hopping into a car.
Some "newer" towns are better planned than Camarillo in that they aren't as car-dependent. Woodbury in Irvine, for example, is set up for walkability to the basics -- schools, shopping and parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County