Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 AM

167 posts, read 354,057 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about these guys Green Mountain Baptist Association - Churches (http://www.vermontbaptist.org/churches/index.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The best part of the state to avoid the annoying NY, CT, MA, etc., people is the NEK. Most of the yuppy sorts from those states don't go up there except a few areas that attract more tourists. You'll get "flatlanders" but most of them won't be bad...the NEK is more conservative and a bit less wlecoming to the annoying sorts...however, it's the least developed part of VT, having less shopping, and far fewer jobs than elsewhere. Absolutely don't move there without a job or lots of cash. I grew up there and had trouble finding work. lol

What exactly is a flatlander? Reason I ask is I'm from PA which has a lot more mountains than VT does and I'm wondering if I'm considered a "flatlander" too.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
What exactly is a flatlander? Reason I ask is I'm from PA which has a lot more mountains than VT does and I'm wondering if I'm considered a "flatlander" too.
Well even someone from the Rocky Mtns. is a "flatlander" in Vermont. lol

The term originated in reference to Southern New England where it's flatter...

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM

190 posts, read 652,208 times
Flatlander is a derogatory term and it can refer to anyone in southern New England and NY/PA (not to call you one, of course!). The type of terrain you live in doesn't matter. Flatlander can be used to simply describe anyone from one of these states in a kind of joking, teasing way, or it can be used as an insult to describe someone who exhibits certain negative traits (rudeness, impatience, loudness, laziness, etc.) Flatlanders are the ones you see moving to VT to "get away from it all" with their gas guzzlers and as soon as they get here complain about not having a Walmart next door.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Well that clears that up. As much time as I spend in the mountains though I sure wouldn't appreciate being called a Flatlander. Call me anything else but that, please.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Quote:
Flatlander is a derogatory term and it can refer to anyone in southern New England and NY/PA (not to call you one, of course!). The type of terrain you live in doesn't matter.
Things become more complicated if you're from the Adirondacks, a mountainous area which is considered both New York and New England.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonr View Post
First of all, congratulations on your marriage and on considering a move to Vermont!

1. I would honestly consider every town in VT a good family town, with only a couple exceptions. I grew up in Brandon and although it got a bit dull by the time I was a teenager it was a great place to be a kid. I guess it depends on what sort of events you see yourself and your kids participating in. Are you looking forward to boating, hiking, and camping? Then you might want to consider the area around Lake Dunmore (or any of the other lakes, really) or the Northeast Kingdom. Would you rather be close to "manufactured" fun, like going to the movies and bowling? Then you might like Rutland or Burlington.

2. As I'm sure everyone will come on here to tell you, it is VERY difficult to find work in VT. It takes a lot of persistence. Burlington has the best jobs, as do the surrounding areas of Essex, Williston, etc. The larger towns (Rutland, Middlebury) might have some as well, but finding work gets incredibly difficult as you go to more rural areas.

3. I regret that I won't be of any more help to this question than google maps would be, as I myself am not a church-goer.

4. Most young people are in Burlington, where there is a nightlife, cafes, and bars. Vermont has a very old population due to its lack of jobs.

5. Pretty much all of VT is expensive. 500/month will get you a not-so-great apt. in Burlington, but might get you something nicer in another area. I don't think that Rutland is too expensive, but somebody else might know more about exact renting costs in other areas.

As far as tourism goes, if you really don't like it then I advise not to consider Woodstock, Burlington, or Manchester, as those towns get the most tourists. Pretty much every VT town gets its fair share, but the smaller towns that are off the main roads will get less of it. I hope I've not discouraged you, and I wish you the best of luck with your decision!

Unless you qualify for Section 8, $500 a month won't get you anything in Burlington. 1 bedrooms start around $700, and those are tough to find.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Things become more complicated if you're from the Adirondacks, a mountainous area which is considered both New York and New England.
Vermont should of conquered the Adirondacks when we had the chance...

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post

Adirondacks are considered part of New England?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I like Manchester VT and Chester VT a lot in fact I think I will drive up and visit my favorite coffee shop in Chester VT on Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont