Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Sheryl, we have gone to Glenn Lake and Sunset Lake, which is not far from you. Glenn Lake is beautiful. My neighbors borrowed our boats and paddled around Half Moon Lake near Bomoseen. They said it was beautiful. Also, Lake Hortonia and Chittenden Reservior. Have Fun!!

Thanks! We love Glen Lake and Chittenden Reservoir so I'd say our tastes are calibrated. :-)

We took a recon drive around Lake Hortonia and Sunset Lake. There were so many powerboats screaming around that we were turned off. Do you think if we go early on a weekday there might be less activity? I think the post-Labor Day kayaking will be wonderful, especially on weekdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
You might have gone to Sunset Lake at a rare time when there was more than two powerboats on the lake. I live around the corner and have seen one or two boats while kayaking. If you do get a chance to kayak on Sunset, paddle to the north west part of the lake. It is really pretty over there. There is a rope that you can swing on and jump into the lake. You can see the fish swimming under you, as I'm sure you can from many of the lakes in VT. If you happen to see a long red barn with mini donkeys running around stop in and say "hi".
As far as Lake Hortonia, you are right about a lot of powerboats. There are a lot nicer lakes around.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You might have gone to Sunset Lake at a rare time when there was more than two powerboats on the lake.
YAY! Thank you so much for that local intel. I'll tell my spouse. I'm sure we'll soon head over to Sunset Lake and Half Moon Lake. Maybe even this Sunday with our kayaking buddies who live in Fair Haven.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend for kayaking!!

FYI:

A few days ago I watched a show on the Annual 90 Miler Adirondack Canoe Race. It takes 3 days and starts at Old Forge and ends in Saranac Village. It looked like a lot of fun.

There is also a guided tour on Lake Champlain (saw it on TV also) that takes a few days. You get to stop for, what looked like, a healthy lunch and stay at a quaint B&B for the evening.

Last edited by NYLIER; 07-28-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,842 times
Wife and I paddled Chittenden Reservoir yesterday late afternoon and followed it up by driving up the hill ajnd enjoying a delicious burger and Magic Hat Circus Boy for $10 at Mountain Top Inn for their Wednesday Burger & Beer Special.

Something to keep in mind for Wednesdays...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
We drove down south to Lake Hortonia yesterday...beautiful day but it was windy and the lake was abit rough. I could not imagine trying to paddle against the wind in a canoe. The kayaks worked great. We stopped about half way around the various arms of the lake and my dang camera fell in the lake.

I scooped it up fast. It starting working a few hours later but making some bad sounds. I read that if your cellphone gets wet you should put it in some rice to dry it out. I did that and in the morning it worked and I was able to upload the images. It hasn't worked since but I'm hoping it needs new batteries.

It's a beautiful lake and even tho its half the acreage of Caspian Lake it had alot more shoreline. Took about 3 hours to paddle, we checked out every arm and inlet. The southwest arm we were able to paddle within 20 feet of a Great Blue Heron and a white tail deer was munching grass alittle further away. Saw only a couple of powerboats on the lake and was surprised that two of the 10 or so islands had electric wires stretched across from the mainland.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-lkhortonia1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-lkhortonia2.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-lkhortonia3.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-lkhortonia4.jpg  

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
I have to say, this is such a great thread.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 PM

274 posts, read 673,670 times
I agree! Keep the trip reports and pictures coming!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
We drove down south to Lake Hortonia yesterday...beautiful day but it was windy and the lake was abit rough. I could not imagine trying to paddle against the wind in a canoe.
I think kayaks are amazing. Even a relatively weak-shouldered one such as myself can kayak in many conditions. We were in Kent Pond twice this week. On Monday, it was so windy I was about doing donuts on the windward side of the pond. Tuesday it was like glass.

Quote:
The kayaks worked great. We stopped about half way around the various arms of the lake and my dang camera fell in the lake.

Argh!!!! I guess it was only a matter of time. I tell myself that during every moment I fail to put my BlackBerry in the waterproof case.

Quote:
It hasn't worked since but I'm hoping it needs new batteries.

I hope so, too. Bummer.

Quote:
It's a beautiful lake and even tho its half the acreage of Caspian Lake it had alot more shoreline.
Your description of Lake Hortonia is enticing. We will definitely try it out on a weekday, especially after Labor Day.

Today we were on Lake Ninevah again. It was so beautiful and still. The ducks were very friendly. Afterward, of course we headed to jones on Tacos Tacos in Ludlow. Mmmmmm.

I was going to insert some photos of duckies on Lake Ninevah but I want to do them like yours, with the expandable thumbnails. How do you insert them that way?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,623 times
Quote:
I would get a point and shoot with maybe 10/12mp and an optical zoom. Lots of good ones at $150/200.
I know I'm late to the game, but I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 12MP with 8x optical zoom. It takes some awesome pictures. It has a nice fully automatic mode that decides for itself what type of picture you're taking. I usually use that, but you can adjust some modes manually, like ISO. Then there's the pre-set modes it has, and there are a lot of them. It's a great little camera that takes awesome pictures. I wish it had an optical view finder, but most don't anymore. It's also small enough to fit in my pocket, even if I'm wearing jeans.

BTW- I don't work for Panasonic. I just love this camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont