U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,671 times

Advertisements

Yup, moose are a formidable threat to traffic due their size and weight and also the fact that they can be very difficult if not impossible to see under certain conditions. I have seen good size SUVs and pickups totalled from moose collisions to include numerous injuries and a few deaths to occupants. As a greater segment of the population converts to smaller and much lower vehicles even greater caution is needed. Moose can be found anywhere and everywhere in Vt and their population will continue to rise, so for those drivers who especially at night like to speed just remember that collisions with much smaller deer can kill you, but a moose hit will almost definately cut down your chances of survival many times over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM

58 posts, read 179,528 times
Default Moose?

I've visited my daughter in VT for 15 years and have yet to see a live moose. I did see one on a flatbed that someone had shot. I guess the Moose read the Moose crossing signs and are careful.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM

39 posts, read 158,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Was there a repopulation program or were they always around? Besides speeding cars, do they have a natural predator in VT? And when is the most common time to spot them (or do I want to, are they aggressive?)?
Can't speak for Vermont moose, maybe they're laid back, but Alaska moose
are mean tempered and very dangerous.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
Vermont moose are very similar to Alaska moose. Don't want to approach one of those guys!
I actually was taking a drive in NH next door and came across a female moose with her "baby". Tourists were getting out of their cars and WALKING INTO THE WOODS TOWARD THE MOOSE! I couldnt believe it.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,303,523 times
Moose are best viewed from a slight distance and definitely during daytime. In the past two years I've come very close, too close, to them at night while driving on two separate occasions and it didn't leave me with a good feeling at all.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Vermont moose are very similar to Alaska moose. Don't want to approach one of those guys!
Except Alaskan Moose are about twice the size of a Shiras Moose, the ones we have in the lower 48. One time in Wyoming I got chased by a very upset female with calf.

If you want to see a moose just drive around at sunrise and sunset, that's the time of day they are most active.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 87,308 times
Shiras Moose are only located in the mountain west and are the smallest of all the moose. I believe the moose population here in Vermont are Canadian Moose, larger than the Shiras but much smaller than the Alaska-Yukon Moose.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,671 times
I lived in Anchorage, Ak for twenty-two years where moose are what pigeons are to NYC, and from the moose I've seen here they seem to be pretty comparable in size. The main difference here is that they tend to remain in wooded areas as in Anchorage the tree line was low in elevation so they ended up more in populated areas especially during the winter.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM

16,814 posts, read 29,033,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I live in Brooklyn, NY, and I am also scared of hitting deer whicn I drive. I don't worry about moose because I generally do not drive in moose country.

When I drive to and from Vermont, I often use the Merritt Parkway, which is roughly parallel to Interstate 95. One night I drove home and I chose to use the parkway. It was scary, because it is not well lit. Then I learned that there were deer. The next time I drove up (in daytime) I saw the signs warning of deer. Scary. Now I use the interstate after dark. Accidents with deer are very dangerous.

You would think that a road just outside of NYC would be well lit at night, especially if there is a danger from deer. Well, maybe not.

Dealing with deer, or moose, is an important adjustment to make when city folks do rural driving. There are others, too, but I can't think of them offhand. I have read that rural driving is actually considered more dangerous than urban driving.

I've seen some huge flocks of turkeys on the side of the Wilbur Cross, about a mile north of where I get on it from I95.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,729,544 times
I have not seen much wild life yet. Okay, when I hear a noise at night while walking my dog in semi-darkness I get jumpy and run inside...

Sometimes in the morning while waiting for my son's school bus I will see a quick baby deer or doe most likely bolt across the road toward the thick woods above our street. The first time I thought it was a german shepherd...(about that size).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont