Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times

Advertisements

Based on what I read in here I was surprised that Vermont was not in the top ten.
The Pain Index: 10 states placing the largest budget burden on residents

Here is the complete list
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...ain-index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Based on what I read in here I was surprised that Vermont was not in the top ten.
The Pain Index: 10 states placing the largest budget burden on residents

Here is the complete list
A State-by-State "Pain Index" - Rick Newman (usnews.com)
That list is using some weird metric. Wyoming ahead of RI? I don't think so. There's no way WY could be ahead of RI in overall tax burden.
It's not "tax burden", it tabulates tax increases and spending cuts, or "pain", from what I can tell.
Problem in VT is that we don't cut anything, so we won't make that list.

From the article:
"U.S. News & World Report''s pain index takes a look at places like my hometown, where residents are spending more on taxes yet seeing less in services. It takes into account state tax increases and spending cuts in each state since 2009"

Obviously, if states are providing services with money loaned to them, at some point that loan will come due. My guess is thats whats going on here. States are paying for services provided in the past with money collected now.

BTW, I've never seen a list in which VT was tops for overall tax burden. NY and CA are hard to beat, but Vermont is certainly top ten on every list of tax burden per capita I've seen.

After some googling, I've seen WY placed at the top (#2) and the absolute bottom (#50). WY is a very, very conservative place. Hard to believe they would pay a lot of taxes (not making a judgment, but at the state level, politically conservative states tend to have lower state tax burdens). Interesting.

Last edited by BickleTravis; 07-15-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 AM

353 posts, read 1,001,012 times
Just because its not the worst, doesn't mean its not bad. To many factors to consider. I live in a southern city similar sized to Burlington, and yet my taxes are a 1/3 of what I would pay for a similar home in Burlington. I have said it before...what are you really getting for your taxes?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Just because its not the worst, doesn't mean its not bad. To many factors to consider. I live in a southern city similar sized to Burlington, and yet my taxes are a 1/3 of what I would pay for a similar home in Burlington. I have said it before...what are you really getting for your taxes?
I certainly agree about the tax burden differences between Vermont and other areas. What I get out of paying my taxes is living where I want to live. I love the weather (except summer), the people, the land, the food produced here, and the community I'm involved in, as well as the work I do. Nowhere else has worked for me. Not saying it couldn't, but it hasn't. Vermont has. Do I wish the taxes were lower and that some serious problems were resolved? Of course. And I consider it my responsibility to contribute toward improving the place I love. I'm happy here and want to stay so I'm willing and, luckily, still able to pay the price for living here.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 07-16-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 22,571 times
Having read a number of posts complaining about the relatively high Vermont taxes, I am curious whether there are people visiting this forum who actually like (I know... a pretty crazy idea) higher taxes? Perhaps even "like" is too strong a word, but I'm wondering if there are people who feel like taxes make them feel more invested in their community? I am not asking this as a way of criticizing. I'm asking because I am genuinely curious.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvine217 View Post
Having read a number of posts complaining about the relatively high Vermont taxes, I am curious whether there are people visiting this forum who actually like (I know... a pretty crazy idea) higher taxes? Perhaps even "like" is too strong a word, but I'm wondering if there are people who feel like taxes make them feel more invested in their community? I am not asking this as a way of criticizing. I'm asking because I am genuinely curious.

IF I believed my taxes were funding programs and projects that truly benefited the commonweal and overall quality of life for citizenry (with minimal waste), I would feel the way you described. I do see some of my tax money funding good work. However, I see a lot of it funding nothing or worse. Of course, I consider this even truer for the federal taxes I pay.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
The taxes for town and school budgets in Vermont are set by a vote of the residents of the town, and every year virtually 100% of town budgets and probably over 90% of school budgets are approved on the first try. This leads me to think that, regardless of the grousing you hear, in most parts of Vermont a majority of Vermonters support what their government is doing, and is willing to bear the tax burden needed to do it.

My feelilng is, in accordance with Mr. Justice Holmes, that taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. The taxes we pay are what we need to support the important work of our government, including the judiciary, the legislature, law enforcement, highways, parks, education at all levels, other public services, and the support of those who don't have the ability to support themselves.

It is always possible to look at particular government expenditures and question whether they are spent wisely, but I would not want to live in a society that is unwilling to tax itself to support necessary public services. (This approach is, of course, the approach adopted by the Republicans while Bush was in office and continued through the present.)

Last edited by jackmccullough; 07-16-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It is always possible to look at particular government expenditures and question whether they are spent wisely, but I would not want to live in a society that is unwilling to tax itself to support necessary public services. (This approach is, of course, the approach adopted by the Republicans while Bush was in office and continued through the present.)
You said what I was thinking better than I did. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 22,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The taxes for town and school budgets in Vermont are set by a vote of the residents of the town, and every year virtually 100% of town budgets and probably over 90% of school budgets are approved on the first try. This leads me to think that, regardless of the grousing you hear, in most parts of Vermont a majority of Vermonters support what their government is doing, and is willing to bear the tax burden needed to do it.

My feelilng is, in accordance with Mr. Justice Holmes, that taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. The taxes we pay are what we need to support the important work of our government, including the judiciary, the legislature, law enforcement, highways, parks, education at all levels, other public services, and the support of those who don't have the ability to support themselves.

Thanks for the feedback. You expressed the way I generally feel, but coming for a relatively low tax state where sentiments tend to lean in the other direction, I was curious how people felt in Vermont.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,930 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. You expressed the way I generally feel, but coming for a relatively low tax state where sentiments tend to lean in the other direction, I was curious how people felt in Vermont.
Having read enough of this forum, you'd have to go to Vermont and talk to actual people to get a real answer. You're gonna get some crazy answers on here.

Signed,
The guy from RI with one of the actual worst tax burdens in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: