Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times

Advertisements

Runaway Jim...I'm pretty sure Polly's is seasonal (closed in winter).

EDIT: Hmmm....no mention on their website of the above. http://www.pollyspancakeparlor.com/index.html
I know they used to close in winter....maybe not anymore!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Runaway Jim...I'm pretty sure Polly's is seasonal (closed in winter).

EDIT: Hmmm....no mention on their website of the above. Polly's Pancake Parlor - Sugar Hill, New Hampshire
I know they used to close in winter....maybe not anymore!
Oh, that would be terrible. Maybe I'll have to actually get up there and go to the Flume Gorge. I spend a lot of time up there in the winter, but almost never in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Oh, that would be terrible. Maybe I'll have to actually get up there and go to the Flume Gorge. I spend a lot of time up there in the winter, but almost never in the summer.
Have you been to the Flume? It's a quick walk but stunning scenery and easy on the legs - rare in New England. Go on a blue sky sunny day, you'll be glad you did.

BTW, Polly's has the best bacon I ever had.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Have you been to the Flume? It's a quick walk but stunning scenery and easy on the legs - rare in New England. Go on a blue sky sunny day, you'll be glad you did.

BTW, Polly's has the best bacon I ever had.
You sold me at best bacon.

Never been to the Flume. Been wanting to go for a while now. We were supposed to go camping up in the notch, but our summer ended up booked with other silly stuff that we didn't really want to do, but had to do. Maybe we'll take a weekend in September and do it. I want to hike around up there, but my wife isn't much of a hiker.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
You sold me at best bacon.

Never been to the Flume. Been wanting to go for a while now. We were supposed to go camping up in the notch, but our summer ended up booked with other silly stuff that we didn't really want to do, but had to do. Maybe we'll take a weekend in September and do it. I want to hike around up there, but my wife isn't much of a hiker.
well there you go.

I'm not much of a hiker myself, more of a tv watcher/boozer (wine anyway).

I've hiked up to a lot of places with great views but they had more work than I wanted. The flume is an easy walk, unique, and great scenery (albeit quick).

You could also take a gondola ride in the area. Again, nice scenery, no physical fitness necessary.

Pancakes, bacon, no work, what else could you want?

I really can't stress the sunny, blue sky thing enough though.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
well there you go.

I'm not much of a hiker myself, more of a tv watcher/boozer (wine anyway).

I've hiked up to a lot of places with great views but they had more work than I wanted. The flume is an easy walk, unique, and great scenery (albeit quick).

You could also take a gondola ride in the area. Again, nice scenery, no physical fitness necessary.

Pancakes, bacon, no work, what else could you want?

I really can't stress the sunny, blue sky thing enough though.
In the winter, it's almost always cloudy there. Cannon is known for being cloudy. And I know the tram (it's not a gondola, too big) quite well. It really sucks when you're wearing ski gear and holding your skis standing in the thing with 69 other people (it holds 70) riding up the mountain. I've been wanting to take it for a ride in the summer.

One quick note. One abnormally clear day skiing there this year, I looked to the west and was able to see the Stowe Resort trails on Mt. Mansfield.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Cannon has great view alright. You can see Jay Peak pretty well too from up there. And if you want a really easy li'l climb - try Artist's Bluff at the north end of the notch. 5-10 minutes hike for an unbeatable view right down the notch itself. Great spot for a picnic.

I've always enjoyed the P&H, but this past Saturday the waitresses were practically waging war on each other, slamming down trays and speaking quite loudly at each other - in the dining room. But hey - at least there was entertainment. We obviously hit the place at an inconvenient time. Heads up: shift change is at 3 p.m.

I like Joe's Snack Bar in Jericho even though I haven't been there this year. Joe passed away last winter, but it's a great little stop with picnic tables, shade trees and the river out in back. The food is good and the waitresses that add up your order on paper is a nice little touch. Gives me a bit of that "there's still hope for the future" feeling. And yes, they're still in business AFAIK, just haven't been over that way this summer.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Back to Vermont....the Almost Home Bakery and Deli in Bristol is a fantastic place. The Warren Store deli makes awesome sandwiches and wraps.

I have stopped at the Pittsfield Store many times over the years...once you get off Rt 4 heading north on Rt 100 Pittsfield is the only place for gas/food until Rochester. There was another place just north of Pittsfield but I think it closed. I'll make it a point to stop and check it out.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 AM

76 posts, read 202,300 times
How come no one has mentioned The Daily Bread in Richmond???
p.s.s..s. The Shelburne Country Store has ammmmmazing maple creemees!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontLori View Post
How come no one has mentioned The Daily Bread in Richmond???
p.s.s..s. The Shelburne Country Store has ammmmmazing maple creemees!
Man I don't get this whole creamee thing, especially with Vermont being such a dairy state. Creamees are basically soft serve ice-cream that you can get
at any gas station in the country or the make your own sundae section at Ponderosa.

I especially dislike the creamees at the Creamee Stand in Bristol. Zero flavor.
If you closed your eyes you wouldn't know what flavor you are supposed to be eating. They shouldn't even list flavors, the should have a sign that says,

Today's Colors: Brown and White.

Having lived in Wisconsin, there are a lot of similarities between the two states. They wouldn't be caught dead selling creamies outside of a gas station. They take their custard stands very serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont