Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times

Advertisements

Here is a little info about myself and what I want. I currently live near Hartford, CT.
  • I am 26 years old and homosexual.
  • I can't stand corporate America.
  • I much prefer summer over winter, but winter is tolerable enough.
  • I love the landscape and beauty of VT...I have driven through there a few times.
  • I hate traffic and busy cities.
  • I prefer suburban/rural living over urban living.
  • I am a republican and can't stand Obama.
  • I am a slow paced person who seeks a more relaxed atmosphere.
  • I have a master's degree in accounting and a bachelor's in business administration and 3 years of experience in tax accounting.
Based on the above, do you think I would like living anywhere in VT? Also, how challening would it be for me to find a job? I am guessing that Burlington area would be the best area for me, but let me know if this is accurate to say. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 AM

914 posts, read 2,900,998 times
Well, you are a bit unusual, aren't you! You are an accountant with a business degree, but you can't stand corporate America. And you are a young, gay Republican who might want to move to a famously liberal state. I think that may be a first for this forum!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,644,004 times
I am 26 years old and homosexual. You should fit in fine in Vermont. If Burlington is your place of preference, you will be fine. There is a good size homosexual community here.

I can't stand corporate America. Outside of some national chain stores and a few other businesses, there is not much of a corporate atmosphere here.

I much prefer summer over winter, but winter is tolerable enough. I am from CT as well and winter here (even in the more mild Burlington area) is harsh and long. I am a summer person as well and I am enjoying the heat while we have it. Next month is the big cool down.

I love the landscape and beauty of VT...I have driven through there a few times. The landscape is beautiful. Not much can be said about that.

I hate traffic and busy cities. This is a rural state. In the Burlington area, trafic can get heavy during the commute times. ot horrible, but due to the lack of highways and major routes, traffic is forced through roads not designed for heavy traffic flow.

I prefer suburban/rural living over urban living. As I said, Vermont is rural. Not an issue.

I am a republican and can't stand Obama. This will be your biggest source of frustration. Vermont is a very liberal state. The rural areas are conservative, but due to a large liberal voter population in the larger populated areas, the liberal vote carries a lot of weight. I tend to be a conservative as well. I get very frustrated especially when there is wasteful spending. My biggest point of frustration has been the education department. For every four fewer students a new teacher, teacher’s aide or staff person was hired. There are 11 students for every teacher – the lowest ratio in the country – and a staggering five students for every adult in our schools. With personnel costs accounting for 80 percent of total school spending, it’s no wonder that our K-12 system is among the most expensive in the nation at $14,000 per student per year.Current staffing and compensation levels cannot be maintained as the student count continues to decline. So the Government passes the education stimulus and what does the state want to do. Fund 300 teaching jobs. How about using the money to lower peoples taxes who are unable to afford their taxes because of the cost of the educational spending and downsize.

I am a slow paced person who seeks a more relaxed atmosphere. The pace is slower and more relaxed here than in CT

I have a master's degree in accounting and a bachelor's in business administration and 3 years of experience in tax accounting. An education is a good thing. You should be able to get a job with your background. The only issue is Vermont is a rural state with fewer opportunities than larger states (I should say larger populated states). You may have to search for some time to get what you are looking for.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I am 26 years old and homosexual. You should fit in fine in Vermont. If Burlington is your place of preference, you will be fine. There is a good size homosexual community here.

I can't stand corporate America. Outside of some national chain stores and a few other businesses, there is not much of a corporate atmosphere here.

I much prefer summer over winter, but winter is tolerable enough. I am from CT as well and winter here (even in the more mild Burlington area) is harsh and long. I am a summer person as well and I am enjoying the heat while we have it. Next month is the big cool down.

I love the landscape and beauty of VT...I have driven through there a few times. The landscape is beautiful. Not much can be said about that.

I hate traffic and busy cities. This is a rural state. In the Burlington area, trafic can get heavy during the commute times. ot horrible, but due to the lack of highways and major routes, traffic is forced through roads not designed for heavy traffic flow.

I prefer suburban/rural living over urban living. As I said, Vermont is rural. Not an issue.

I am a republican and can't stand Obama. This will be your biggest source of frustration. Vermont is a very liberal state. The rural areas are conservative, but due to a large liberal voter population in the larger populated areas, the liberal vote carries a lot of weight. I tend to be a conservative as well. I get very frustrated especially when there is wasteful spending. My biggest point of frustration has been the education department. For every four fewer students a new teacher, teacher’s aide or staff person was hired. There are 11 students for every teacher – the lowest ratio in the country – and a staggering five students for every adult in our schools. With personnel costs accounting for 80 percent of total school spending, it’s no wonder that our K-12 system is among the most expensive in the nation at $14,000 per student per year.Current staffing and compensation levels cannot be maintained as the student count continues to decline. So the Government passes the education stimulus and what does the state want to do. Fund 300 teaching jobs. How about using the money to lower peoples taxes who are unable to afford their taxes because of the cost of the educational spending and downsize.

I am a slow paced person who seeks a more relaxed atmosphere. The pace is slower and more relaxed here than in CT

I have a master's degree in accounting and a bachelor's in business administration and 3 years of experience in tax accounting. An education is a good thing. You should be able to get a job with your background. The only issue is Vermont is a rural state with fewer opportunities than larger states (I should say larger populated states). You may have to search for some time to get what you are looking for.
Well, I am open to career change. I actually am unhappy with what I do now and am willing to give up some salary for a more fulfilling career. Something simple, but with good opportunity.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM

325 posts, read 702,429 times
You certainly are a study in contrasts.

Burlington was recently voted the second Gayest city in America. You shouldn't have any troubles there.

Being a Republican may be a problem for you there. Extremely Liberal state.

Finally.....getting a job(especially a good paying one)may be a huge problem. Bring plenty of cash with you if you move there.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM

400 posts, read 846,724 times
Getting a job would be your largest problem. And winter is long. Vermonters learn to live cheap so our state government doesn't have too.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
You certainly are a study in contrasts.

Burlington was recently voted the second Gayest city in America. You shouldn't have any troubles there.

Being a Republican may be a problem for you there. Extremely Liberal state.

Finally.....getting a job(especially a good paying one)may be a huge problem. Bring plenty of cash with you if you move there.
Well even if I am a republican, aren't liberals supposed to be tolerant of other people's political views? I lived in NYC which is about 85% liberal and never really had a problem.

Maybe I should take a trip up there since it's only 3.5 hrs of a drive and spend the weekend. Not sure what to do though, alone.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

325 posts, read 702,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well even if I am a republican, aren't liberals supposed to be tolerant of other people's political views? I lived in NYC which is about 85% liberal and never really had a problem.

Maybe I should take a trip up there since it's only 3.5 hrs of a drive and spend the weekend. Not sure what to do though, alone.
Go to the bars on a friday or saturday night. Plenty to do then. People are very tolerant, yes.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,127,477 times
Vermont elected a republican governor

Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Go to the bars on a friday or saturday night. Plenty to do then. People are very tolerant, yes.
I'm not really a bar person but that does sound like a good ice breaker. Are there any gay bars in the area? And do you know if the bar scene is pretentious, clickey or snotty? Are people nice and willing to talk to strangers, kind of like in the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: