U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM

34 posts, read 150,200 times

Advertisements

My husband is a police officer in AZ and we want out of this state. We live in Flagstaff where it snows a lot (a surprise to most people to hear that AZ gets snow) but the drought here is getting worse and worse. We visited VT a few years ago and ever since then, everything I have read about it appeals to me. I hate big box stores, I love the sense of permanence that VT seems to have, I love water and the smell of trees, and I want to be involved in a small community. Does anyone have any advice for my husband looking for cop jobs in VT? Will he be despised as the out-of-stater for moving to VT? Also, does anyone know of a VT town that is hiring police officers or sergeants? I know cops aren't the most popular people on the planet, but my husband is a nice guy, I promise! He originally wanted to be a biologist, but got discouraged with the low pay and became a cop to better support his family (at that time I was still in college and we had a toddler). Any advice would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,754 times
Hope this helps!

I took the State Police Defensive Driving Course offered by the VT State Police. I'm fairly sure it saved my life about 9 years ago one day...

City of Burlington Police Home Page (hey - I can almost see my house from here!)

VERMONT STATE POLICE (http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/ - broken link)

VERMONT STATE POLICE (http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/auxiliary/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Police positions are open frequently in many locales here, but there is a reason for that. The pay and benefits are not very good here and the pension system is also lacking in comparision to other states. I took an early pension from an out of state police department and upon arrival did look into a few departments here. Many of the veterans (15+ years on the job) were pretty candid on an off the record basis in describing working conditions here. Anyone who has been on the job can read between the lines on this one. This is not to say that someone cannot find a department that would meet their expectations, but in comparision to other states and cities you would really have to weigh the pros and cons. I myself found something else to do with much less stress and no politics involved.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the information. Just to get out of Arizona and move to Vermont, it might be worth it, but it might not. That's why we're still thinking about it. I have found several towns that are hiring, but it's so hard to know what the towns are really like or what the real estate is like without being there. In southern Vermont (around Windsor), is it possible to buy a decent house(meaning not a fixer-upper and in a nice part of town or on a small amount of land), around 1800 sq. ft. or so, for 250K? If not, are there areas that are cheaper? Is Burlington cheaper than southern Vermont? The pay is higher for Burlington cops, but I assume the job is much harder.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,981,473 times
Only a few places are as expensive as Burlington area and I don't think Windsor is one of them. The new state prison is in Windsor, I guess it's not exactly new anymore.

Here is some listings in Windsor.
NNEREN

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,754 times
NNEREN is essentially another state's MLS - few VT properties are listed in it.

There are 32 single family homes (larger than 1800 square feet) in Windsor County on the market right now. I'd post a link to them, but I'm not sure it's ok to do that here...

If you'd care to PM me I can email it. Please forgive any delay - I'm at The Montreal Jazz Festival starting tomorrow and don't have unlimited time on the computer in the press room...But I'd be happy to send a link...

David Beckett

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Arizona, caution!! Yes, it may be true that Burlington (and UVM) pays a bit more, but the costs involved here will eat that up and then ask for more! I don't know your police officer husband and what his experience, attitudes, and desires are, but speaking from over 20 years experience and having contacts on various agencies the overall quality and political nature of being a LEO can and does cause more stress than many assume. As my first post indicated there is a reason for turnover in any job and Vt unfortunately is not LEO heaven. Sometimes it is best to stay put for a while longer and secure a pension before making a move. Again, I was lucky that where I worked I came on board before many pension and benefit changes were made and was grandfathered in. Could I have stayed and made more? Sure. Would it have diminished my physical and mental health? Probably. Am I now better off financially by living here in Vt? No. However, life is full of tradeoffs and sometimes the benefits of living somewhere outweighs a growning portfolio. Some of course up here can have their cake it eat it too, they are not hard to miss, but good for them. Having worked in LE I can tell you some of the most miserable people I met actually had lots of money and possessions. Do your research and seek candid and fact based answers to your questions before committing to a major move. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:59 AM

He's currently a highway patrol officer in AZ and loves it, but the highway patrol in VT would require him to go to the academy all over again. He's 37 and does not want to go through that again. So that's why we're looking at towns, but the pay is not as good. I think we'd have about 180K cash after selling our overpriced house here in Arizona, so that would help a lot in tempering the decrease in pay. I know we could wait until he retires and gets 50% of his top three years' pay, and it would be about the same amount of money that he would make working in Vermont, but we wouldn't get to raise our kids there. He interviewed for a job in Windsor last summer, and while we were there, I walked our two kids around town a little. We were looking at the creek when a few local kids came riding up on their bikes and just jumped right in the water. Then they rode their bikes over to the rec center, where the guy who ran it knew all of their names. I thought, "Who lives like this anymore? This is utopia." I would love for our kids to grow up in a small town like that (where there's water!), but don't know about the trade-off for my husband. I work at home, so I can pretty much move anywhere.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM

89 posts, read 289,778 times
I was just on the State Police Web sight looking for info on making a report and it says on the site that they are hiring.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8mi View Post
I was just on the State Police Web sight looking for info on making a report and it says on the site that they are hiring.
Yes, but they told my husband he would have to go through the entire academy again. That's such a bummer. He has so much extra training and certifications through 8 years of highway patrol work out here; it seems that they should accept his training as equivalent. With two kids and being 37, he doesn't want to live at an academy and go through that all over again. But he does love working the highways and will miss that a lot.

It seems that a lot of the local towns favor current VT residents over out-of-staters. It makes sense. If jobs in VT are as hard to come by as people say, then it's good for the state to give preference to locals who need the work. I think we'll try the Windsor area again, even though they say you must be VT certified. Last time, he got the feeling that he would be hired, and then the chief quit and they started a new hiring process all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont