U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,327,554 times

Advertisements

How often does the power go out? Does it go out for an hour, all day or longer? Does it matter if you are in Southern Vermont or Northern Vermont? What happens when it does go out? Do all the homes come with generators? Do power outages happen in the winter during a storm, or do they happen only during thunder and lightening storms? Since we dont experience really any weather out here, I dont know much about power outages we rarely get them, and when we do it is caused by heat, too many people using air conditioners. Then it only last for like an hour....I know silly "flatlander" and her questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
I can give you our experiences in Stowe, but there is a special condition up there - basically, the area has been developing too fast for the electric supply to keep up with. The power line that runs up from Waterbury up through Stowe does not carry enough power, especially now that Spruce Peak has been renovated (and still in the process). There are browns outs all the time...there are plans for a huge line to be installed to alleviate the problem, but they've been fighting over the costs for a while now...

I know that during a few particular bad thunderstorms power went out, but it could be partially because of the electricity issue up there...I'm sure others will chime in with more pertinent info for you.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
Funny you ask, as we lost power last night for a few minutes - had some storms rolling through. It can be hit or miss...my parents were without power for 4 days during one of our spring storms this past year.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
In my area I don't think it's very bad and the outages are for a very short time. It's much better than NYC IMHO.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 AM

122 posts, read 414,545 times
IT totally depends on the reason for the outage. There was a really big snow storm this past winter, and in the Rutland area, it was deemed a FEMA disaster/emergency, and they were without power for quite a few days. Lots of trees (heavy spring snow) had fallen on power lines. Sometimes it'll just flicker on and off for a short while, or it can go out for a few hours in a bad rain/thunder/lightning storm.

And NO, houses don't come with generators. Individuals can purchase them if they want. They cost a few hundred up to a few thousand, depending on the amount of power output. It's smart to have a few flashlights and candles handy~the old fashoined way

Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
MRV - oh yeah, we had a taste of that yesterday in NYC - AGAIN...Parts of the Upper East Side and the Bronx were without power for about an hour yesterday, and Con Ed apparently has no idea why. hmmmm...

Old 06-28-2007, 07:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Outages can last from four minutes to four days, or more. Almost exclusively they are caused by acts of nature and can be very localized or widespread. How prepared you are to deal with an outage depends on your pocket book. A generator is a good idea, but the more load the more money needed to purchase a generator that can handle it. I have one that can keep the furnace running, well pump, fridge, and a few outlets. No way predict when or how long outages will be. However, as a previous post indicated the distribution and transmission capability of Vermont utilities needs modernization and increased capacity to handle existing demand and anticipated future needs. This is not likely to happen because everytime a power utility seeks to upgrade or just even in many cases make repairs the permitting, costs, and general bureaucratic boondogle grinds things to a slow crawl. I have a friend who works for Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P) and everytime he comes up we go for rides and he is just amazed on how antiquated the power system is here. I guess we have been lucky not to have to endure rolling brown or blackouts as some other places do, but it is a distinct probability that it is in our future because the reality is that power consumption is going up and here in Vt it looks like in a few short years we will be more dependant on outside power from the grid. Generator all the way!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM

89 posts, read 289,762 times
Some of the equipment is antiquated, but the real problem in Vermont is all the regulations that utilities are subject too. You would not believe the cost of the bureaucratic process just to upsize a transformer in a substation. Also the right of ways for utilities are very narrow by national standards. This allows vegetation and trees to become a huge problem which in combination with squirrels account for most of the outages in VT. The other major cause is lightning and VT has a relatively high strike count compared to some other areas of the country.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM

2,111 posts, read 6,327,554 times
What is the difference between rolling brown or blackouts? I have only heard of the blackouts...Also why is it that Vermont doesnt seem to want to get with the times of things? I dont think upgrading the utilites is going to make Vermont less charming...just my opinion

Old 06-29-2007, 02:04 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times
What do people do if they or a family member have medication that needs refrigeration? Are there battery-powered small coolers? Or very small generators for refrigerators? Regular coolers are no good once the ice packs warm up, but they would be ok for several hours.

If I move up to Vermont I'll buy a small generator to cover the refreigerator and the heater. I'll also make sure to have a wood stove or pellet stove.

I went without heat one very cold night in Rhode Island. I was macho and wanted to tough it out. I slept in a down coat, but was still very cold. In retrospect it was a stupid risk. I could have frozen to death. And I had friends nearby at whose home I could have stayed.

I would not do such a stupid thing in Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont