U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 31,616 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My partner and I plan to move to the Brattleboro area within the next six months or so. I have loved Vermont ever since my first visit to the state about 15 years ago, and am finally in a position to be able to make the move. Our main concern about the move is for our son who is African American. I know that Vermont is not an ethnically diverse state, but I am wondering how the towns of Brattleboro/Putney compares to the rest of the state? Is there much of an African American presence in Brattleboro area? We want to be sure that our son can see himself reflected back in at least some of the faces around town, and especially at school.

I realize the percentage of African Americans compared to the entire town population will be quite low, but we do want to be sure that our son will not feel like his race makes him stand out in a way that may not be comfortable.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you might be able to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,530,846 times
I wonder if you could learn more about the school's demographics by calling the Brattleboro school your son would be in.

This is all relative, of course, as you know Vermont is very white. My sense is that Brattleboro is more diverse than any other part of the state besides Burlington. The School for International Training attracts people from all over the world as well as those interested in traveling the world (not like tourists).

Putney is tiny. No one is likely to see themselves reflected back. That said, I love Putney's funkiness and can imagine being happy living there.

Good luck to you in your move. I hope you find what you seek and enjoy life here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benGinTx View Post
Hello all,

My partner and I plan to move to the Brattleboro area within the next six months or so. I have loved Vermont ever since my first visit to the state about 15 years ago, and am finally in a position to be able to make the move. Our main concern about the move is for our son who is African American. I know that Vermont is not an ethnically diverse state, but I am wondering how the towns of Brattleboro/Putney compares to the rest of the state? Is there much of an African American presence in Brattleboro area? We want to be sure that our son can see himself reflected back in at least some of the faces around town, and especially at school.

I realize the percentage of African Americans compared to the entire town population will be quite low, but we do want to be sure that our son will not feel like his race makes him stand out in a way that may not be comfortable.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you might be able to offer!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 31,616 times
Thanks so much for your response, Sherylcatmom. Calling the schools is an excellent suggestion. I am very much looking forward to the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I wonder if you could learn more about the school's demographics by calling the Brattleboro school your son would be in.

This is all relative, of course, as you know Vermont is very white. My sense is that Brattleboro is more diverse than any other part of the state besides Burlington. The School for International Training attracts people from all over the world as well as those interested in traveling the world (not like tourists).

Putney is tiny. No one is likely to see themselves reflected back. That said, I love Putney's funkiness and can imagine being happy living there.

Good luck to you in your move. I hope you find what you seek and enjoy life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont