U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 03:11 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,327,159 times

Advertisements

How do you guys feel when you cant go outside because of the snow or cold? Does anyone deal with depression in the winter with very few sunny days? For me, I seem to perk up with the clouds, the rain and cooler temps. I cherish those days, because they are so far and few. The heat here really gets to me. I suffer from panic disorder and anxiety attacks, for 20 years now. The heat makes the panic attacks come out in a huge way. I pretty much avoid going out in the summer. 90 degree or higher days and 80 degree nights are not enjoyable for me at all. That is one of many reasons I picked New England (Vermont) to move to. The weather. I know everyone has said how cold it is, and it will take some getting used to. To me, I am looking forward to the challenge. But I was just curious if anyone felt about the cold and snow as I do about the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 04:26 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,357,415 times
After living in New England since I was 6 years old- I feel weather can certainly affect your mood here.. The worse time for me is after the leaves have shed their leaves in early November; cloudy dark chilly foreboding days with rain can make one feel very melancholy or depressed. This is approaching the darkest part of the year with early sunsets and a low sun angle. These type of days are fortunately inter spaced with milder sunny weather. But a cloudy chilly November day seems worse for me on a Monday or Friday. The festivity of the holidays however brightens one mood during this period.

Snowy, cold, cloudy days in January and February can also play on ones emotional senses. In southern New England these type of days are less in number then Vermont. Cold sunny weather is not a problem for me.

Late winter and early spring (the mud season) can also be depressing if its chilly, overcast and rainy.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:07 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,763,998 times
We don't see much sun in the winter up here in Northern Vermont. It's usually cloudy & gray. I really start to feel down come March when I'm ready for winter to be over. This is always remedied by a trip to Florida LOL.
But getting out and doing things such as skiing, sliding, snowshoeing, etc. always helps.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Do you could guys have any tanning salons (for theraputic purposes) that are available to use to help with the lack of sun? We have them everywhere, which I find ironic, since we have sunshine all the time here... Haha, we have more fake tans, fake b**bs, fake people out here in the land of sunshine. Calif is good for one thing, you do see some very interesting people!!. I am never sure weather to laugh or just feel sorry for them.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,357,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Do you could guys have any tanning salons (for theraputic purposes) that are available to use to help with the lack of sun? We have them everywhere, which I find ironic, since we have sunshine all the time here... Haha, we have more fake tans, fake b**bs, fake people out here in the land of sunshine. Calif is good for one thing, you do see some very interesting people!!. I am never sure weather to laugh or just feel sorry for them.
oh yes tanning beds are everywhere in New England- you might also consider a trip to southern climes in mid winter for a week for rest and recuperation.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
oh yes tanning beds are everywhere in New England- you might also consider a trip to southern climes in mid winter for a week for rest and recuperation.
I think I'll take the trip down south. I used to be a tann-aholic (lol) and now my skin is paying the price. Lots of wrinkly people out here, but then there are LOTS of plastic surgeons to repair the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or