U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,200,641 times

Advertisements

Article on the front page of the Sunday paper...since the sybject comes up every so often in here thought I would pass it along.
Urban gangs quiet but active in Vermont: Times Argus Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:23 PM

17,371 posts, read 23,401,346 times
They're quite active in Rutland. Getting over run with them, once you start watching for them. They stand out like sore thumbs. A former mayor candidate (Trapeni) fired a warning shot in the air a while back when some of these hooligans were breaking into his son's car; now the city wants to fine him for firing a gun in city limits-excellent message to give the thugs coming into the state, one of them is running around free and the victim gets fined.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,890 times
Everyone of these lowlife scumbags needs to be run out of this state. Here is the result of a judicial system that cares more for the rights of criminals than victims. These gangs are a cancer on society. It sickens me to see young people adopt the dress, vocabulary, and mannerisms of these vermin. Where in the hell are the parents of these local kids who emulate these dirtbags? I have three kids, and they would not be allowed out of the house looking like that. Vermont is one of the few states in the country not totally infected by these scum, yet I fear that it will be before long thanks to the penchant that many people have for blaming unacceptable behavior on the "injustices of society". These people need to understand that there are consequences for bad behavior. Let one of them cause harm to me, my family, or my property and I will gladly educate them in this.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,794,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
Everyone of these lowlife scumbags needs to be run out of this state. Here is the result of a judicial system that cares more for the rights of criminals than victims. These gangs are a cancer on society. It sickens me to see young people adopt the dress, vocabulary, and mannerisms of these vermin. Where in the hell are the parents of these local kids who emulate these dirtbags? I have three kids, and they would not be allowed out of the house looking like that. Vermont is one of the few states in the country not totally infected by these scum, yet I fear that it will be before long thanks to the penchant that many people have for blaming unacceptable behavior on the "injustices of society". These people need to understand that there are consequences for bad behavior. Let one of them cause harm to me, my family, or my property and I will gladly educate them in this.
I'm much more concerned about our lower to middle class prescription drug addicts running around. This isn't a Vermont problem it's a national problem.
I live on an isolated lot in the country, I'm not worried about gangs one bit. I am worried about these opiate freaks breaking into my house.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm much more concerned about our lower to middle class prescription drug addicts running around. This isn't a Vermont problem it's a national problem.
I live on an isolated lot in the country, I'm not worried about gangs one bit. I am worried about these opiate freaks breaking into my house.
Be aware the drug dealers/etc. like to find remote areas in the woods to grow their drugs or such, and often booby trap, or outright shoot, trespassers. A major problem all over the country and starting to crop up here too.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,688,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Be aware the drug dealers/etc. like to find remote areas in the woods to grow their drugs or such, and often booby trap, or outright shoot, trespassers. A major problem all over the country and starting to crop up here too.
Can you post a link to some stories and statistics? This is the first I've heard of booby-trapped drug cultivation sites being "a major problem all over the country." I think I've heard of one instance of drug dealers in the woods in Vermont, though I think they were hiding out rather than growing contraband.

I doubt anyone in Vermont is growing poppy plants (heroin, opium) or coca plants (cocaine), which are drugs we might see some violence over. I assume you mean they're growing pot plants in the woods. I haven't heard of shooting or booby traps over pot plants so I'm interested in seeing these stories.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM

54 posts, read 99,717 times
I had to laugh at this whole thread. Gangs of Vermont? Seriously? lmao
More like a small band of brats. Dave A's post was right on.

little fyi, Drug dealers dont hide in the woods-pot heads do so they can get by doing their own thing w/out interferance. And booby traps? haha. Might be a nutcase or 2 hiding out in the back forty protecting his land with a shotgun.
Drug dealers prefer city atmosphere, easier to get customers and peddle their wares.
Try going to a city like San antonio to see what REAL gangs and REAL drug dealers look like.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Can you post a link to some stories and statistics? This is the first I've heard of booby-trapped drug cultivation sites being "a major problem all over the country." I think I've heard of one instance of drug dealers in the woods in Vermont, though I think they were hiding out rather than growing contraband.

I doubt anyone in Vermont is growing poppy plants (heroin, opium) or coca plants (cocaine), which are drugs we might see some violence over. I assume you mean they're growing pot plants in the woods. I haven't heard of shooting or booby traps over pot plants so I'm interested in seeing these stories.
Busted! - TIME

People have been shot (the article mentions an 8 year old boy out hunting with his father being shot in the face...), held at gunpoint, caught in booby traps, etc., all over the country. It no surprise to me if it happens more here. I've seen some people acting very strange in the woods in the past, and did stumble across what may have been booby traps (seemed a very odd place for a metal wire to be going across two trees...).

Up here meth cookers would be among the most dangerous types to watch out for, but some pot growers would be dangerous too.

In 2007, quite a bit of marijuana was found: VPR News: Feds: $1 million worth of pot found growing in National Forest

IIRC it's only gotten bigger since then.

Most of these types seem to avoid main trails, but anyone like me who spends a lot of time off trail in remote areas, needs to be aware of the danger...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM

986 posts, read 2,123,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Busted! - TIME

People have been shot (the article mentions an 8 year old boy out hunting with his father being shot in the face...), held at gunpoint, caught in booby traps, etc., all over the country. It no surprise to me if it happens more here. I've seen some people acting very strange in the woods in the past, and did stumble across what may have been booby traps (seemed a very odd place for a metal wire to be going across two trees...).

Up here meth cookers would be among the most dangerous types to watch out for, but some pot growers would be dangerous too.

In 2007, quite a bit of marijuana was found: VPR News: Feds: $1 million worth of pot found growing in National Forest

IIRC it's only gotten bigger since then.

Most of these types seem to avoid main trails, but anyone like me who spends a lot of time off trail in remote areas, needs to be aware of the danger...
Meth cookers are dangerous mainly because if they screw up, they can blow up their house/trailer. But meth cookers tend to also be users. They're dangerous in that they'll do anything for a fix, but the stuff is cheap.

Outdoor pot growers aren't as common in the east as they are out west (the weather is just better for it). Honestly, they just need to legalize the stuff and that "problem" will be gone.

I'm with Sheryl on everything else. You're not going to find opium poppies or coca around here. That's where you get some serious issues.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,225,969 times
Pot is the number one cash crop in the state. Is there violence involved? I could not tell you, but the issue is not what is or is not grown here. Are the gangs as bad as NY or LA? No. Are they in the state? If anyone thinks they are not here, they are living in the clouds. The misconception is they make their presece known. This is far from the truth. they want to go under the radar. Their main goal is selling drugs and making money. Look at the big arrests in Burlington, Rutland or St Albans in the past several years. Most are from NY or Boston with gang ties. They are not here to look at the foilage.
The problem was so big in Rutland with the Latin Kings, the city of Rutland started a gang task force. The only time you will ever see gang members killing and shooting one another is when it becomes territorial. The midwest is the perfect example of how gangs operate in rural areas. You can't look at NY, LA or any other city as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or