U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 23,201 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through this forum for some time trying to gather as much info as I could before I asked my own question. I know that there are a lot of people asking about moving to Vermont and everyone's situation is different. I'd like to offer up my circumstances and see what everyone thinks.

I currently live in northern Delaware working in IT, making around 96 a year. My wife and kid live in a modestly priced house and own 2 cars. Our average property tax is around 1100 a year. We pay something around 800 a year for auto insurance for a new honda and an older toyota truck. On average, gas/electric bill works out to around 175 a month, sometimes up to 300 in the winter. We're spending around 300 a month on groceries and would say that we eat well. Aside from that, the income tax in DE is 6%, but there's no sales tax.

I've visited Burlington a number of times and have family in Sherbrooke and elsewhere in Quebec. We also speak French fluently. We'd like to live "nearer" the border and in a city with a reasonable expectation that the wife would find some sort of job, possibly at UVM. She has a master's degree.

The question is, where should we live? I realize Burlington's very expensive and I'm very open to anyplace else as long as it has high speed internet access. We considered Essex, Essex Junction or Winooski, but I'm not all that familiar with schools. Delaware buses inner city kids to schools therein bringing down the whole educational system, so bear in mind that we would probably have to pay for private school here anyway.

Where would everyone suggest, and would it be reasonable given our financial situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM

459 posts, read 907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delewasteland View Post
I've been reading through this forum for some time trying to gather as much info as I could before I asked my own question. I know that there are a lot of people asking about moving to Vermont and everyone's situation is different. I'd like to offer up my circumstances and see what everyone thinks.

I currently live in northern Delaware working in IT, making around 96 a year. My wife and kid live in a modestly priced house and own 2 cars. Our average property tax is around 1100 a year. We pay something around 800 a year for auto insurance for a new honda and an older toyota truck. On average, gas/electric bill works out to around 175 a month, sometimes up to 300 in the winter. We're spending around 300 a month on groceries and would say that we eat well. Aside from that, the income tax in DE is 6%, but there's no sales tax.

I've visited Burlington a number of times and have family in Sherbrooke and elsewhere in Quebec. We also speak French fluently. We'd like to live "nearer" the border and in a city with a reasonable expectation that the wife would find some sort of job, possibly at UVM. She has a master's degree.

The question is, where should we live? I realize Burlington's very expensive and I'm very open to anyplace else as long as it has high speed internet access. We considered Essex, Essex Junction or Winooski, but I'm not all that familiar with schools. Delaware buses inner city kids to schools therein bringing down the whole educational system, so bear in mind that we would probably have to pay for private school here anyway.

Where would everyone suggest, and would it be reasonable given our financial situation?
She'd make a great waitress.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times
You're in for a shocker. BickleTravis' post above is not far from the truth, good jobs are scarce, don't expect anything.

Anything in Chittenden County will be expensive. The Northeast Kingdom is cheaper but jobs are even harder to get there.

Heating can get very expensive here unless you burn wood and have a cheap source for it.

Northern NH near Canada might be worth a look too.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,784,739 times
Everything i hear on this forum about Burlington makes it sound like a craphole. I have never been, but the description reminds me of New Brunswick NJ. i wonder what is the point of living in Vermont if you are surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious college kids struggling to live in a dirty apartment!!!

96k in delaware, i am guessing a very nice income. we basically have gone through the scenarios of "how little can we live on" and what kind of job will pay that.

Can you telecommute? That seems like your best bet.

for IT
i really dont know what kind of jobs Burlington has, but I know Green mountain coffee always has some computer jobs available. some are in Williston near burlington others in waterbury. i dont know if these are "feeler" job ads, or real openings. Middlebury also has a few IT positions open. None of these positions interested me at the moment.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 AM

325 posts, read 616,974 times
My advice: Don't go to Vermont.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,530,498 times
Sorry to say it looks like people are not answering your questions. I can't comment on schools, but the towns of Essex, Essex Jct., and Winooski, plus Colchester and other nearby towns, all offer more affordable homes than in Burlington.

You can get high-speed internet in many, many Vermont towns, including very rural ones. For each town you're considering, it's critical that you check high-speed internet's availability and reliability before moving, including at the particular house you're considering.

Delaware has way lower expenses than Vermont in many regards. If you bought a home in Vermont, I think your property taxes would at least double if not quadruple. Your car insurance would probably be similar to your current rate. However, your electric bill is way higher than mine. And we work at home so our house is in use all day long (our electric bill is higher in summer when we run the AC regularly, but never above $140, and that high is unusual). Is your heat electric, and included in that bill? In addition to our electric bill, we buy fuel oil and wood pellets to heat the place. We pay a lot less for heat since Efficiency Vermont did its thing on our house in 2000.

Depending on what your wife's master's degree is in, she could likely find teaching work. Along with UVM, I have friends teaching at Champlain College, St. Michael's College, etc. She could also explore working with one of Vermont's many nonprofit organizations. My master's degree and I work in Vermont's nonprofit sector, as do many of my friends with bachelor's and master's degrees. Additional opportunities may be available if she's willing to commute toward Waterbury and Montpelier. (I don't think I know anyone with a master's degree who's waiting tables, but I'm sure it happens.)

Places to search for jobs include:

vermont nonprofit jobs classifieds - craigslist
Seven Days Classifieds | Vermont Jobs, Apartments, Cars, Services and Stuff
Career Center | Department of Human Resources
JobsInVT.com - Career Central - Career Resources and Job Search Tips
and
Jobs - Vermont - Nonprofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by delewasteland View Post

Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Everything i hear on this forum about Burlington makes it sound like a craphole. I have never been, but the description reminds me of New Brunswick NJ. i wonder what is the point of living in Vermont if you are surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious college kids struggling to live in a dirty apartment!!!
Burlington is nothing like New Brunswick. It's much better.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Additional info

Actually, I do have a telecommuting job. Fortunately, my employer doesn't really mind where I work so we thought we'd move because the schools and overall environment of Delaware is really getting to us. Both myself and my wife are originally from cold climates so we're not adverse to a cold winter at all. It's more a question of trying to find a place that fits into just my salary so everything's extra that she would make.

I'd be keeping my salary and the wife would be the one looking for another job. I was wondering where we could afford to live given that my major requirement is that it has a fast internet connection to the house.

Thank you for the info Sherylcatmom!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Thank you for the info Sherylcatmom!

Actually, I do have a telecommuting job. Fortunately, my employer doesn't really mind where I work so we thought we'd move because the schools and overall environment of Delaware is really getting to us. Both myself and my wife are originally from cold climates so we're not adverse to a cold winter at all. It's more a question of trying to find a place that fits into just my salary so everything's extra that she would make.

I'd be keeping my salary and the wife would be the one looking for another job. I was wondering where we could afford to live given that my major requirement is that it has a fast internet connection to the house.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,994,252 times
[quote=joe moving;16026188]Everything i hear on this forum about Burlington makes it sound like a craphole.

Unfortunately that adjective describes posts from a few select people, for what ever issue, who have a personal ax to grind and it's awful easy to blame Vermont or the various parts thereof, for their situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or