Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times

Advertisements

So, I have wanted to move to Vermont since the very first time I stepped foot in the wonderful town of Rutland. Since that day, I have never been able to find a place that satisfies my whole being so thoroughly. I know this may sound a bit fanciful, so I don't want you all to get the idea that I'm some pie-in-the-sky dreamer who would move to Vermont with no job and just expect everything to "work out". In my experience, that just isn't the way it works most of the time. So, what I am seeking is advice.

I am a college student in my early twenties (kinda took the scenic route through college at first before getting more serious about it), and I would like to set up some kind of plan to move to Vermont sometime after I graduate college. I am pursuing a degree in business management, which I figure is a pretty versatile degree. Anyway, I know I wouldn't have to work in my field, and that would be just fine with me. I would happy to try to find any sort of work that could pay the bills and try to work my way up from there.

That said, what kind of income should one expect to need to live reasonably comfortably in a town like Rutland? Or really a lot of those towns going up Route 7, like Pittsford, Brandon, Salisbury, etc.? Any sort of advice would be appreciated. Just wondering what kind of jobs have traditionally been viable for producing an income for supporting myself (single, no kids, no debt). Thanks for any advice you might have.

P.S. - No need to warn me about the snow. I have lived in very cold places before, such as Worcester, MA and a Winter and Spring in Buffalo, NY. I absolutely love long, cold, snowy winters. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't be moving to Vermont if I was looking for sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
http://www.vhfa.org/documents/housing-wages-2010.pdf This article from VHFA has good info on what you should expect to earn to afford a place to live. Your lifestyle will dictate what your other expenses will be. How often you eat out, if you need a cell, home phone, cable, internet, how much you want to put away for retirement, how much want in savings, how much driving you will do, what town you will live in, etc. Vermont is not going to be as affordable as Asheville, NC. I'm sure you know that if you have been here before.
It's nice to set plans for the future. I would wait until you are a little closer to your move time to decide on exact location. Before making any decision, make sure you get a job that will pay the bills. As an example, I wouldn't make plans to live in Pittsford to find out that you will have to drive an hour to work. Unless you like to drive several hours per day.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
^ Well, that article paints a pretty bleak picture of the quality of life in Vermont. I seem to hear a lot of that, and yet, people live there. What is it that makes it possible for a person such as an average person posting on this board to live in a place like Rutland? Asheville is actually pretty expensive if you want a nice place, and employment is hard to come by. I've heard that conditions in Vermont are somewhat similar. Is this misguided?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:52 AM

54 posts, read 111,339 times
I dont know how much I agree with VHFA's guidelines. The price they quote for the median house seems like what a typical flatlander might pay. (no offense to anyone) maybe basing it all on the rich towns like Woodstock?
Our house was a fixer-upper (definately livable w/4 bdrms, 2 baths and 3/4acre lot) and was only 75k. (thats about $500/month mortgage payment)
You could get a decent 1 bdrm apt in Rutland for $500-650/m but your best bet would be keeping your eyes open for an 'in-law" apt or a trailer on someones farm.
Springfields also got some real cheap apts too. My grammie lives there on SSI (about $800/month) comfortable enough.

As previous poster said, its all gonna depend on your lifestyle. If you plan on eating out most nights and getting the full cable package ;-) it'd be alot different than if you were expecting ramen a few nights a week and your main form of entertainment taking walks.
If I were w/out kids Id buy a camper and live at a campground year-round. Home Page Crown Point Camping Area, Weathersfield, VT gets my vote hands down. cheap way to really live Vt in an amazingly picturesque setting with great people. Ruby's a peach ;-)

JObs..well thats a whole nother issue. My thought is- if theres a will theres a way.
Hubby worked for Adelphia/Comcast and then was lucky enough to get hired by GE aviation in Rutland.
(pretty coveted job w/great pay -$30/h and the best benefits)
Seems the quarries hire often and most of the manufacturing plants have relatively frequent openings as do accounting/tax firms.
No idea what you'd find for your degree though.
Suppose if you wanted to make it work bad enough you could pull paper routes in the early mornings then head to a cashier jobs. Nothing fancy but would make do. Check RutlandHerald.com | Rutland Herald | Rutland news, Rutland sports, Rutland real estate, Vermont jobs to get an idea on whats out there.
VT is a great place to think outside the box. You might do a stint as a morning milker at the local farm then be a kirby vacuum rep the next month ;-)

You're young and single and willing, Id say go for it! GL & GB ;-)

Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeajustme View Post
Our house was a fixer-upper (definately livable w/4 bdrms, 2 baths and 3/4acre lot) and was only 75k. (thats about $500/month mortgage payment)
Just curiously... where and how long ago did you buy this house? Anything I've been seeing (granted, I've been pretty specific in my searches) has been quite a bit more for a house that size on a lot that size, even for a place that's a serious fixer-upper.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 AM

325 posts, read 705,951 times
My suggestions:

1)Bring money
2)See #1
3)Be willing to take ANY job
4)Go outside of the box

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Well, that article paints a pretty bleak picture of the quality of life in Vermont. I seem to hear a lot of that, and yet, people live there. What is it that makes it possible for a person such as an average person posting on this board to live in a place like Rutland? Asheville is actually pretty expensive if you want a nice place, and employment is hard to come by. I've heard that conditions in Vermont are somewhat similar. Is this misguided?
Towns like Rutland are full of people on various government programs to get by and there's probably more somewhat rundown rental houses (old houses converted to rentals) than nice single family homes by numbers I'm almost willing to wager in Rutland City (less true outside the city a ways)...a lot of people also can't afford to leave or they would so keep that in mind...

There aren't many good jobs here and less every year...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Well, that article paints a pretty bleak picture of the quality of life in Vermont. I seem to hear a lot of that, and yet, people live there. What is it that makes it possible for a person such as an average person posting on this board to live in a place like Rutland?
My husband and I live in Rutland and we find the quality of life wonderful, not bleak. We are able to live here because we've slowly, steadily built a small business and I also work in the nonprofit sector (totally privately funded, not government programs). We enjoy our work and the people we interact with.

We saved up our money and ten years ago bought our home at a very reasonable price in a nice neighborhood. Efficiency Vermont did a heckuva job improving the insulation and other heat-conservation measures in our lovely old home.

We're hardly the only Rutlanders we know who are doing okay and enjoying our lives here. We have friends and work colleagues, and I work with hundreds of volunteers in this region and throughout the state. Many of us are doing fine.

There seems to be something about internet discussion forums that attracts posts full of stereotypes and generalizations. I mean, anyone can have a hard time; I feel compassion and willingness to listen. But instead of telling their own stories, some folks on forums (not just this forum) seem to generalize: Everyone is miserable. Everyone is unemployed and/or working 5 jobs while barely making ends meet. Everyone pays unbelievable prices for everything. Most houses are rundown and full of welfare cases.

Well, many of us are busy living decent lives and don't have time to post so much on forums. I make it a point to do so, both because I work online and it's easy for me to post here, and also because I like to add another viewpoint so folks will know it exists.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Just curiously... where and how long ago did you buy this house? Anything I've been seeing (granted, I've been pretty specific in my searches) has been quite a bit more for a house that size on a lot that size, even for a place that's a serious fixer-upper.
We bought in Poultney (York st) about 6yrs ago. We also looked at a VHFA rehab home $54k in east Poultney and a nice Modular on a small corner lot for $75k. Gilbert realty has some very cheap houses!

Last edited by yeajustme; 10-01-2010 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: misprint on price

Old 10-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Runawayjim- check out the listing for Benson and Hubbardton. Both absolutely gorgeous, out-there spots-
Welcome to Gilbert Realty & Development, Inc. (http://www.gilbertrealtyanddevelopmentvt.com/gilbert.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont