U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:29 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,889,845 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am curious on peoples opinion, suppose you were looking to buy a vacation home in VT. Employment, schools, price are not important. What in your opinion is the nicest town/part of the state, where you would like to move if you could?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

25,294 posts, read 43,200,079 times
I like RURAL areas so I prefer the NEK. This was the first part of VT I experienced when I visited the Green Mountain state. A number of years ago I wanted to be a meteorologist and considered attending Lyndon State College in Lyndon, VT (alma mater of Jim Cantore). However, I chose a different school to attend. Of course I did visit when the weather was the coldest there in January, -25F. I am a country road person who likes the slower pace of life with a college nearby.

Employment... Burlington would have a few more opportunities compared to other parts of the state. VT is rural so don't expect a lot of concentrated or centralized employment hotspots at all. Cost of living is extremely high with respect to wages so be aware of that!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,936,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I am curious on peoples opinion, suppose you were looking to buy a vacation home in VT. Employment, schools, price are not important. What in your opinion is the nicest town/part of the state, where you would like to move if you could?

Montpelier,
at least for my tastes. I find it warm, welcoming, surrounded by nature, culturally plenty to offer, and has relatively easy access to the rest of the state.

What do you consider "nice"? Do you prefer activities indoors, outdoors combo? What kinds of activities? Do you need lots of malls and shopping? Probably nowhere in Vermont will offer that. The only Vermont area even resembling a city is Burlington.

That said, I have no sense of where I'd buy a vacation home because even if I could afford two houses, I prefer to plant myself in one area and stay there.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,835 times
Warren, VT or somewhere in the mad river valley. It's, rural, mountainous, extremely beautiful, and has a good ski vibe.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Montpelier,
at least for my tastes. I find it warm, welcoming, surrounded by nature, culturally plenty to offer, and has relatively easy access to the rest of the state.

What do you consider "nice"? Do you prefer activities indoors, outdoors combo? What kinds of activities? Do you need lots of malls and shopping? Probably nowhere in Vermont will offer that. The only Vermont area even resembling a city is Burlington.

That said, I have no sense of where I'd buy a vacation home because even if I could afford two houses, I prefer to plant myself in one area and stay there.
I'm from CT, so people in CT will say they like the shoreline for its views, or Litchfield county because it is quaint. So VTers probably have some similiar features they most like about the state.

Nice in my mind nice in terms of the physical beauty of the state and the overall atmosphere.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,936,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON3P View Post
Warren, VT or somewhere in the mad river valley. It's, rural, mountainous, extremely beautiful, and has a good ski vibe.
Good area for comparison. I also love Warren, Waitsfield, and the Mad River Valley. Certainly its natural beauty is some of the best anywhere. This is where one's subjective tastes come in. If I was looking for somewhere to live, I'd prefer Montpelier because I like a town that offers everything I need, preferably in walking distance, while also being able to get into nature quickly. The MRV is more remote and rural, which would suit someone else better.

What do you think, hartford_renter? What are some of your more particular preferences for a place?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM

I think if I could live in vt it would be close to the MA border, just because it would be less of a drive. It would be nice to be close to skiing and the mountains.

I have driven through towns in VT coming from skiing trips and stayed at inns there, it would be a nice place to spend the winter and write a book or something.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,705,207 times
I think there are several areas that are terrific -- and not necessarily in order:
Cavendish [and it is in close proximity to Okemo] without the 'congestion and Cavendish / Reading /Weathersfield area is about 15-20 mins to Woodstock [along Rte 106] which is a nice drive [including the summer months when you can drive by/stop at the Green Mountain Horse Association]; Chester is another one of those 'quintessential VT towns'; and, of course Grafton which is really beautiful.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM

10,381 posts, read 22,203,447 times
I have a favorite for each of the four seasons

Spring - Burlington

Summer - The Lake Champlain Islands, particularly North Hero and Alburg.

Fall - The Northeast Kingdom, and around Lake Willoughby

Winter - nothing beats Stowe.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM

3,435 posts, read 8,980,514 times
I am also a NEK fan. I no longer live in VT and wouldn't have lived in the NEK when I was in VT due to it being isolated from a bigger city, lack of jobs, etc. but for a second home? Absolutely. The Lake Willoughby area is gorgeous and just far enough out of the way to keep down the number of VT weekenders (the Woodstock, Okemo, etc. crowd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont