Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 41,004 times

Advertisements

From where does this reputation come? We just moved to Colchester from the West and have met the MOST welcoming, friendly and approachable folks. By far the friendliest place we've lived, and we've lived in a few... Including the, eh hem, "friendly" south.

Intelligent, thoughtful, self-aware, warm, welcoming... That's how we'd sum up Vermonters!

Even our cable guy commented, "ya know how you can tell I'm not originally from Vermont? I'm talking to you!"

Our experience has been the complete opposite. Moving to Vermont is the best decision we've ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times
Haha. I grew up with the mentality that other's coming in from out of state were foreigners or 'flatlanders'. And since I left Vermont when my family moved in the mid 80s....and am moving back to the NE Kingdom - I have encountered a bit of 'unwelcoming' attitudes if you will - and I am under definition a true Vermonter, born and raised. But, I was not raised in the NE Kingdom but rather in Essex Center which is not the Essex Center that exists today. But, that general area is definitely more of a melting pot. What I am seeing is that the older Vermonters, if you will are very accepting - as well as the younger ones.....it's the middle aged ones that we seem to have trouble with. At least, that's what we are seeing in our area.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM

84 posts, read 208,102 times
I never experienced anyone I met as cold or unwelcoming here in Manchester, VT.

Many time you get what you give !!!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM

20 posts, read 41,004 times
Allow me to pile-on to my own sappy blathering. Today was our kid's first day of school, and again we were met by super people who introduced themselves to us, welcomed us, etc. I'm so impressed. Especially after reading from various sources about New Englanders...

Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Haha - that can be true, you get what you give... I think though - that these are isolated incidences. I wouldn't classify ALL of Vermont, or Vermonters like that. I do know how I was raised though. I think also, the more rural that you get, the more probable that it might happen. Now, if you come to the Northern Virginia area it's the area that keeps on giving whether you like it or not!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
Many of the folks I encountered here in the NEK consider Chitty County and Essex, Jerico etc. about the same as Boston, Long Island and NJ......."Oh Burlington is nice, the lake is beautiful...when you're done, you come back to Vermont".........

I find it ironic that people give us more respect working in MA and coming to the NEK on weekends and vacation to build our home ourselves and enbracing the NEK way of life than some folks that call Chitty County their home.........

It is what it is.....people are people, some are great and some are bitter in general......depends on who you encounter

Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 AM

Logs and Dogs - I had to school my husband not to say that I was originally from Burlington (which is not quite true though I was born there) and to not even say that I grew up in Essex Center but rather around the Essex Junction area. Back in the 70s it was a bit different than now....but yes, you are right - you say Burlington or Essex (or Chittenden County of course) and you're back on the outs. Essex Junction I find - gets me a little further than Essex Center. Who would have 'thunk' it? I was born and raised in Vermont....and get the cold shoulder because I lived in Chittenden County in the 70s and 80s. Oh well.....

Where are you building your home logs and dogs?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
Home's built......finished last year. NEK St J, Lyndon, E. Burke "Area" ;-)

Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 AM

Very Cool! We'll be living in Glover - just north of you in a couple of years!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
I think one of the main reasons people are more welcoming has to do with the native population of the state, not just Chittenden County. Statewide, 57 percent of Vermont residents were natives as of 1990, down from 62 percent in 1980 and 72 percent in 1960. I don't have the recent numbers, but I believe around 2000 the native population in the state was just below 50% and I'm sure more so a decade later. I live in the Malletts Bay section of Colchester and on our block we have just one family that were born and rasied here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont