U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,671,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Forgot to mention that in our neck of the woods (stowe area) Honda CRVs are a close second to Subarus when it comes to popularity.

Ours is 11 years old and has never had a maintenance issue other than routine stuff. It's got over 150,000 miles and is still going strong and we work it hard. My dh works part time at a ski resort in all sorts of weather and my I'm contantly transporting our kids everywhere.

It can get up our very steep driveway with no problem when there's several inches of snow, which is nice b/c I don't have to park it on the road while I snowblow when I get home from work after a storm.

We re looking at buying a newer used car to replace it (before our luck runs out) and will probably go with another CRV, although I'd love a Subaru wagon (they're great mom cars).
I was just going to post that Honda CRVs would rank second and then I saw your post

I can tell you there are a million green CRVs, I'm aware of them because my wife drives one and I seem to see one every few minutes.

Saabs and Volvo seemed to lose their luster when they were bought out by Ford and GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,994,741 times
Just wanted to point out that Outbacks are American cars as they are built in Indiana by Americans. About Volvo I have noticed that the newer heavy equipment used for construction most are built by Volvo. Alot of Deere equipment is now built off shore but I still like my Deere t-shirt. "Give a horse a break....use a tractor".

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,323,740 times
We have two Volvos. One is a 92 240 with 235k on it. The other is a 95 850 with just over 200k. Both are daily drivers and have been very reliable. Vermont roads tend to do a number on any car or truck, so we buy older vehicles from out of state. Then we kill em. One thing I've noticed over the years is that Volvo owners tend to take pretty good care of their cars, keeping up with maintenance and parts replacement when needed which usually makes for a good second hand purchase.

The 240 is ol reliable - easy to get parts for and reasonable to work on. The 850 has been just great. It's needed one wheel bearing and a timing belt in the three years we've had it. We average about 27 mpg with both ... and those seats! Ahhhh ...

Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM

30 posts, read 58,775 times
For awhile I have been thinking of an Outback- used- to replace one of our cars. But, some friends- and Vermonters I have met -have been singing the praises of Volvo.

I came off Mt. Abraham one summer afternoon and I pointed out to my wife that there were 23 autos in the lots and only 5 were American nameplates. Three of those were 09/10 American models and the other two were American pickup trucks. About 5 were Volvos...90's era station wagons, I think. I don't know of an American nameplate that gets 27mpg with AWD, but I am sure one will come onto the market. Our country always had the engineering...just had short-sighted management.

Thank you for the responses.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,067,156 times
I also see mostly SUVs off the side of the road in the winter. It has nothing to do with which vehicle is better or worse in the snow. It has to do with people with four wheel drives who think they have better traction due to the four wheel drive. I drive a lot on the interstate and people in four wheel drives drive as if the conditions were ideal. A car that looses control (suv or Subaru) will end up in the ditch.
As many will point out, you do not need a four wheel or all wheel drive in Vermont. I lived in a snow belt on a dirt road in rural Vermont. I also commuted one hour each way and got by just fine with a Dodge Neon for years. The key is good snow tires and a good head. If you think about it, 30-40 years ago there were very few four wheel drives or front wheel drives on the roads and people managed.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

68vette - you're right about that. I drove a 60's era rwd Pontiac, a 70's era MGB, a 70's era Datsun B210, an 80's rwd Buick, etc....until I got a Jeep in the late 90's -all in some nasty snowstorms, not to mention driving home in the Blizzard of 1978, without one issue. Why? Because of the reasons you stated: snow tires and a clear and sensible head!

When I worked for a company plowing snow at plant parking lots in the 70's and 80's, the boss told us NOT to put the Ford 250 into 4wd UNTIL we got to the job site, and then use low gear to plow the snow and remember, it was a pick-up snowplow- not a Cat dozer!! If you couldn't drive the 250 in 2wd in the snow , you didn't know what you were doing and were untrusted with his vehicles.

I often drive home in snowstorms and get very nervous around the yahoos who think they are invinsible with their suvs....flying down 93 and 95 like they are on air- which they are!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,786,597 times
haha yeah AWD and no snow tires, it really doesn't do too much for you if you don't know what you are doing otherwise... maybe help you get going.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

459 posts, read 907,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreknees View Post
I have been reading about winter/snow driving in Vermont and it seems clear that Subarus are the car nowadays. I thought that Volvos were the car. Last summer, coming off hikes in the Green Mountains, I saw many older Volvos in the trailside parking lots. Are Volvos still popular for winter driving up in Vermont?
Yeah, you gotta have an iPhone and a Subaru, or else you're not a (NJ) Vermonter.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM

iphone and subaru....not a pay by the minute thing and a rifle rack behind the seat of the pick-up?....

Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,186,053 times
I live in Northern Virginia and my friend bought me a 'go phone'....that is my cell phone. My husband still does not have one. Right now, I have a Toyota Crapola - but believe it or not, even before deciding to go back to Vermont I have wanted a Subaru Outback....I have always loved the look of that car....but then I started looking and didn't realize how expensive they were. I put way too much wear and tear on my vehicle here with my commute to even think about getting a 25k plus vehicle plus I need to save every penny to get to Vermont...and now I'm not even sure I'll be able to afford one once we move up north... Hmmmm....any ideas? Are Subarus worth the price you pay? My husband will need a new truck too....that's something else we need to look at. He has a Tacoma from 2003 that has served him very well.....we won't talk about my 2006 vehicle though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont