Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times

Advertisements

i just went through the research on outbacks

i think i decided i wanted a 2004 and up based on head gasket issues that probably cleared up around 2003/2004?, and also wanted manual trans which really cut down on the pool of available vehicles. you can get a 2004 with a little more than 100k miles for around 7-8k and expect it to last another 100k i think. another couple thousand and you can get 2005 and up (new body), under 100k

2005 is a new body style. They changed it AGAIN in 2010 or 2011 and it looks like an SUV now.

we just picked this up for under 10k, i was not going for new or fancy but this had been maintained meticulously and that did it for me. they brought it to the dealer every 10k and did the 105k service (timing belt=$1000+) at 92k miles. either it was a lemon or these people were completely nuts about maintaining it!!!

sorry no iphone here!

here is just an example of another clean one: priced at 7500
Subaru : Outback: eBay Motors (item 320605618094 end time Oct-26-10 07:57:11 PDT)

Last edited by joe moving; 10-22-2010 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,846,839 times
OMG!!!! That IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! Down to the color!!!! Ummm....you want to trade that one for my corolla....I promise it won't stall and Toyota will eventually honor the recall

Good advice!!!! Very good advice!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM

986 posts, read 2,329,715 times
Funny... that's what I have, but mine's an '08 (only because we traded in 2 cars and bought 1).

Subarus are great cars, and last forever. The reason they're expensive is because they hold their value better than many other cars. The Outback is my second. I had an Outback Sport before it and I loved that (might end up with another one if my wife gets a better job, though I really want a Baja and wished they still made them). I had a trusty old Toyota before and loved that car as well. It wasn't as good in the snow/ice that we get down here, but it was a great car... until someone hit me and totaled it.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,833,255 times
We have Subarus EVERYWHERE here in Asheville, and I just don't understand it. I've driven several Subarus ('08 Outback, '08 Forrester, '06 Baja), and I was very underwhelmed. The engine is the main thing I can't stand. Very rough at idle and acceleration is choppy and pretty weak. Interior room is very poorly done; for such large cars, they sure are tiny on the inside. And I don't know what all this talk about them lasting forever is. Sure they'll last forever, if you put a bunch of money into them to keep them running. And they aren't that cheap to fix either. I, myself, am not at all a fan of Subarus. I honestly think that people buy them here just to fit in, because it's what everyone drives, and they'll tout the AWD all day long, but that is Subaru's only desirable feature.

I drive a 2006 Honda Accord sedan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. Great car with front wheel drive that gets me around well in the winters here. We may be in the South, but we have wicked bad ice on the roads, and every road in this town is either uphill or downhill. Flat ground is very rare. So it can be really tough to drive around in the winter sometimes. My next car is going to be either a CR-V or an Element. Whichever I get, it will have AWD and a manual transmission; both of those are KEY for driving in the winter. Especially the manual, because you can downshift and burn off a lot of speed without having to use the brakes much. I think I will be a Honda man for the foreseeable future; that is, until I can afford an AWD 3-series my ultimate dream car. Hondas are just fantastic, and the maintenance is non-existant except for tires and brakes and oil changes.

Oh, but one thing about Volvos: BEST SEATS EVER! Unbelievably comfortable. You could drive one all the way to California and not get tired or uncomfortable.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,910,553 times
I have driven one Subaru and it was pretty responsive. It cornered well but wasn't too comfortable to ride in. I think it was a mid 90s model. My friend bought an 04 and it was quite nice inside. I rode in it only as a passenger, but it seemed light years removed from that 90s one I drove. Joe, that's a great looking car! I haven't warmed up to the looks of the most recent makeover either - it looks like your basic run of the mill SUV.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 PM

219 posts, read 480,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
The engine is the main thing I can't stand. acceleration is choppy and pretty weak.
Sounds like my worker's beat up 1993 Legacy. Or a 1998 that's overdue for maintenance. I doubt the recent ones drive like crap.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 AM

It didn't drive like crap, but I drove my friend's sister's 07 Outback for an entire day (which included several hours of driving), and I was not impressed at all. I was excited when she said I could borrow it, because I had always though Subarus were cool and quirky and generally good cars. But I was really really disappointed in this one. And it's not like it was poorly maintained. It had 28k miles on it, and everything was in tip-top shape; it had just been purchased. I find Honda and especially BMW to make the best engines. I know I said above that I was getting a Honda, but if I decide to take the plunge, it will be an AWD 3 series with a manual, no question about it. Best car in existence. You can get a very nice one for 20 grand, and then go for the extended warranty, and you have the best production car on the market for a very very good price. If you like handling and perfect driving dynamics, there is absolutely no substitute for BMW.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 AM

819 posts, read 1,492,288 times
We have a 2003 OB which just turned 158K on the way home last night, had the usual head gasket failure and paid the big nut to have it replaced as it is cheaper than a new car. I tracked down some other gremlins recently and it is running well at this point……..has all the power of a blender, but running well. We love the OB, but with the addition of a second dog we are already thinking ahead to a replacement.

As for winter driving……….we have the 2003 Subaru with 158K miles, a 2001 Tundra 4x4 with 140K miles and a 2001 F-250 Diesel 4x4 with 88K miles (for towing the horse)………which one do you think we take in the snow as a first choice? The Subaru, of course.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,846,839 times
Hmmm....I've heard from many former and current owners of BMWs that they have a lot of reliability problems. My neighbor wound up getting rid of hers...twice. It was her dream car so she didn't want to give up....got another one...just more issues....she finally through in the towel. I have another neighbor who used to be a BMW mechanic and now he's a Jag mechanic....two very unreliable makers which is why he loves his job he says. But....that's what I've heard. I've never had a BMW myself.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM

BMW is an incredibly reliable car, but it needs to be owned by an owner who is a car enthusiast who will give the car the kind of care it needs. If you treat it like a Honda, it will punish you by acting up. You must treat it like a performance car, which is what it is. I see a lot of middle-aged women with big hair around here driving BMWs, and it makes me furious. Those cars are not made for people like that, and it is flat-out dangerous for a person like that (someone talking on their cell phone, putting on lipstick, etc.) to have access to the keys to a BMW. They (especially the new ones) are street-legal race cars, just refined for regular driving. They have the most perfect suspension in the world: soaks up bumps without sacrificing ANY handling. It is literally, from an enthusiast driver's perspective, the best car available for the price.

The one thing most people have problems with on BMWs outside of problems caused by lack of knowledge on the part of the owner and/or mechanic, is electrical problems. Little things like a motor that drives the window to roll up and down will go out, and they will cost more than a Honda would to have that same problem fixed. However, the trade-off is well worth it: you get to drive the ultimate driver's car every single day. I have a friend with an 1986 325is with 189k miles on it, and the thing runs like a dream. I would take it over my 2006 Honda Accord if it were practical, but it isn't. Still, for those who like to DRIVE, there is no alternative to BMW. And I do mean DRIVE, not just get from point A to point B. A BMW is the one material possession that I am willing to spend a bit extra on, because I believe that they are extremely solid cars that are worth what they cost. They retain value fairly well, too. I've seen them with 150k on them that still sell for 9 or 10 grand.

Note: I do not work for or represent BMW in any way. I am just a very avid enthusiast of their cars. Sure, you will pay a little extra to maintain a BMW, but it is WELL worth it.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 11-01-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont