U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,236,524 times

Advertisements

I agree wholeheartedly on the BMW, though I'm a fan of the older models myself. My dad had a '76 5 series that I looooved. Body was falling apart but the engine was butter...he took it to the junkyard one day without telling me and I just about cried. We then had an '89 5 series which I loved too, but the '76 was near and dear to my heart. I learned how to drive in it.

I feel the modern ones are made for people who don't 'drive' but just get in a car to go somewhere and need the status symbol. They are expensive but they are definitely the ultimate driving machine. I hope one day to be able to get an older one as a 'weekend' car. Maybe when I win the lotto, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

103 posts, read 256,591 times
Re: BMWs, my old roommate in VT had a beautiful 1986 BMW, not sure what model, but it ran great. And then...he totaled it.

My '98 Subaru Forester was super awesome and reliable up until last July. Everything went wrong at the 137K mark. It was great in the winter though. I got it fixed and it still runs and drives but are Subarus ever expensive to fix. I really have to learn DIY maintenance now It idles rough but accelerates pretty quickly considering how old it is. Even new Subarus tend to idle roughly.

My insurance in VT on it is cheap cheap cheap, a bit under $500 a year. But the car is OLD.

As far as Volvos go, people seem to either love them or have major problems with them.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,203,653 times
^^ Yep, once you drive one, nothing else will ever satisfy you. And you know, the new ones are different, and they are more luxury than they used to be (speaking specifically about the 3 series), but they are still fantastic. Now, I don't believe I would want a new 5 series. They're gorgeous, and they're very nice, but the sticker shock is unreal, and I feel like the quality on their bigger body sedans has decreased. You give me a 2004 330xi with a 6 speed manual, I will be in car heaven! Too bad that by the time I'm in a position to own one, 2004's will be impossible to find with low mileage.

I have kind of a problem with cars honestly. I trade them in all the time. I'm on my sixth car in five years right now, and while I haven't spent an extra dime on any of the exchanges, it's just kind of ridiculous. I find it very difficult to get a car and just hang onto it. I guess now I'm locked into this Honda for the long haul though, as its value is well under $10k, and there is nothing decent I could get for that money. Overall though, a Honda Accord is a damn good car to be stuck with.

I don't know how we got here from a discussion of Volvo's, but yeah, I think Volvo quality (and even worse, quirkiness) has gone down since the takeover. Late 90's Volvo's were solid as a rock, unique, and they had that awesome Volvo smell! Now Volvo is just a Ford with different switchgear it seems.

Oh, and one last word about Subaru's, the post above just goes to show you that they aren't as reliable as everyone would have you think. They may be more reliable than the Germans, but you just can't beat Honda and Toyota when it comes to reliability. I literally never have to do anything to my Honda but rotate the tires and change the oil. Subaru's will have a lot of little nagging problems I've noticed. Like weird, unexplained vibration that only happens every once in a while, things like that. I'd say either go Honda/Toyota/even Mazda, or go BMW. That's the way I feel about cars.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 PM

103 posts, read 256,591 times
They are beautiful cars. I'm not even a car enthusiast myself, I just want something that runs and drives (and stops having expensive mechanical problems...grrrr. I'm pretty sure I've had all of them short of replacing the engine with my Subaru, the thing has basically been rebuilt and needs a little TLC). But what a joy my friend's car was to drive!

My mum had a 2006 X5 and just sold it a week ago before the warranty was up. She likes to trade cars often alas so it worked for her. The WORST car my family ever owned was the Mercedes ML 320. The passenger side door fell off and the catalytic converter cracked within a year of owning it. It also used to roll backwards when stopped on little hills and had so many other crazy problems. Terrible terrible car.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,203,653 times
Oh yeah man the ML320's were absolutely awful. I had neighbors that bought one and really really regretted it. It's a damn shame, Mercedes-Benz quality has gown down the tubes completely. You find a really nice mid 80's M-B, that is a car right there. Solid as a rock, feels like a tank rolling down the road, doors sound like a bank vault when they close. German vehicles are simply the best, but M-B is the exception nowadays. Just cheap Chrysler crap really. BMW, Audi, VW are all super solid vehicles. They will require a bit more maintenance than a Honda or Toyota, but certainly no more than a Volvo. And they are much more fun and satisfying than a Volvo too, especially the way Volvos are made now.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 AM

986 posts, read 2,032,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Oh yeah man the ML320's were absolutely awful. I had neighbors that bought one and really really regretted it. It's a damn shame, Mercedes-Benz quality has gown down the tubes completely. You find a really nice mid 80's M-B, that is a car right there. Solid as a rock, feels like a tank rolling down the road, doors sound like a bank vault when they close. German vehicles are simply the best, but M-B is the exception nowadays. Just cheap Chrysler crap really. BMW, Audi, VW are all super solid vehicles. They will require a bit more maintenance than a Honda or Toyota, but certainly no more than a Volvo. And they are much more fun and satisfying than a Volvo too, especially the way Volvos are made now.
Perhaps BMW are solid, but Audi/VW have been plagued with electrical issues. My wife had a Jetta that would sometimes not stick in gear and just roll no matter how hard you stepped on the gas. You had to put it in park and then back. It also had a weird braking issue that the dealerships could never replicate. When braking, it would slow down, make a clunk and jerk and then continue to the stop. They were also never able to replicate the tranny issue. We traded it in for our 08 Outback, which we absolutely love. I hated the Jetta and the way it drove.

Subarus may not be designed to be race cars or performance vehicles, but they're certainly work horses. I don't know if I can consider a car extremely reliable if they require more maintenance than a Honda/Toyota/Subaru.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 AM

819 posts, read 1,269,842 times
ShipofFools42 – With the amount of TLC and German love the BMW requires to be “reliable” a friggin’ Ferrari or MG could be considered reliable. But, I think you make a good point………if maintained correctly many vehicles, including BMWs etc. can be “reliable”. I think where people seem to get lost/confused is in the level of required maintenance to achieve a satisfactory level of reliability.

My Diesel Ford is reliable as hell, but it requires a heck of a lot more maintenance than my Tundra to achieve that level of reliability. People’s perception of reliability also factors in the amount of TLC and maintenance a certain vehicle requires. To most folks anything more than regular oil changes, a 30K & 60K mile service along with one brake job in the first 100K miles is too much to deal with. Toyotas (at least older Toyotas), Hondas, Subarus, etc. seem to fit that version of “reliability”.

It’s all relative.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,183,761 times
That makes sense guys. I do live in the DC area and the majority of people get their vehicles for show....plus the driving in stop and go traffic constantly probably doesn't help. Good point. And you are right - anymore more than oil changes is a big deal...possibly because time is so short here. Most people are away from their houses no less than 12 hours each day. The thought of having to drop a vehicle off or sit in a shop or dealership waiting for maintenance is a pain in the butt. Heck - I even do the drive thru oil change. However, I can switch out my own ignition coils, 02 or A/F sensors, and brakes on my Crapolla and my husband's Tacoma....haven't tried much else because I haven't needed to.... So, what is the level of maintenance between say a Volvo and a Subaru....compared to my Toyota Corolla that I have right now? Since - I will be definitely switching vehicles - not for a few years, at least I know what I am in store for....and can any of this be done myself?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 AM

819 posts, read 1,269,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
That makes sense guys. I do live in the DC area and the majority of people get their vehicles for show....plus the driving in stop and go traffic constantly probably doesn't help. Good point. And you are right - anymore more than oil changes is a big deal...possibly because time is so short here. Most people are away from their houses no less than 12 hours each day. The thought of having to drop a vehicle off or sit in a shop or dealership waiting for maintenance is a pain in the butt. Heck - I even do the drive thru oil change. However, I can switch out my own ignition coils, 02 or A/F sensors, and brakes on my Crapolla and my husband's Tacoma....haven't tried much else because I haven't needed to.... So, what is the level of maintenance between say a Volvo and a Subaru....compared to my Toyota Corolla that I have right now? Since - I will be definitely switching vehicles - not for a few years, at least I know what I am in store for....and can any of this be done myself?
Subaru is one of the only Japanese car makers I have enjoyed having to work on (not that I'm a professional mechanic....just handy and cheap). I hate working on my Tundra under the hood as it is so damn cramped in there.

I changed out the ignition system on my Outback a couple months ago (wires, plugs, coil) and it was pretty easy overall.

By far, my Ford is the easiest to work on and needs the most maintenance as diesels usually do........but I'm looking for 300K from this one. My friend has two identical to mine, on with 190K and one with 336K.........

Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,779,959 times
I havent done it but heard the plugs on the subaru are a pain.

We have a VW TDI we are now getting rid of in favor of the outback but I like the TDI a lot better. Can't get less than 40mpg unless I go 75mph with 2 bicycles on the roof. First 100k we did oil changes and filters and tires and I just changed the battery. It had 2 electrical gremlins that VW fixed under warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont