U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,327,554 times

Advertisements

I was just curious as to how good the Emergency Medical Response system is. Since much of Vermont is rual, how long on average does it take for them to respond to a 911 call? And I guess the snow doesnt slow them down at all? Sorry, these are just things I need to know. For me and my family, it will be a shock to the system, since everything where we live is in a matter of 1 to 5 mins at the most of anything and everything we could ever want or need. But along with the good, there is the bad, it is the natural flow of life...My family and I are still very excited about our move to Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:31 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
Hmm..I'm sure there is a stat out there. If you live in one of the larger towns, response should be fairly quick.
Where I live, my ambulance has to come from a different town 8 miles away.
There are only a handful of paid firefighter/EMT departments in the state. The majority are volunteer.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Rural means RURAL. There is coverage across the state, but if you are expecting quick response within minutes you probably really need to consider living elsewhere. It's not the fault of the EMT workers, but when you have volunteers providing service in rural areas it is going to take awhile. Also, most towns do not have 24 hour police service and this means that an on call officer needs to be summoned or a state trooper may need to be dispatched, often from considerable distance. Despite this, people don't seem to be dropping like flies, but once again, if you need services you best locate yourself somewhere with fulltime staffed emergency services.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 PM

2,111 posts, read 6,327,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Rural means RURAL. There is coverage across the state, but if you are expecting quick response within minutes you probably really need to consider living elsewhere. It's not the fault of the EMT workers, but when you have volunteers providing service in rural areas it is going to take awhile. Also, most towns do not have 24 hour police service and this means that an on call officer needs to be summoned or a state trooper may need to be dispatched, often from considerable distance. Despite this, people don't seem to be dropping like flies, but once again, if you need services you best locate yourself somewhere with fulltime staffed emergency services.

I asked because I was curious, thats all.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Also, most towns do not have 24 hour police service and this means that an on call officer needs to be summoned or a state trooper may need to be dispatched, often from considerable distance. Despite this, people don't seem to be dropping like flies, but once again, if you need services you best locate yourself somewhere with fulltime staffed emergency services.
If you do not have 24 hour police protection, what are people to do in the event of a police emergency? Obviously you do not have to deal with serious crime and/or people are armed and can defend themselves if necessary.

What are Vermont's laws on self devense and on gun ownership? Maybe this should be an entirely new thread.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
Pretty much every town has a volunteer fire department with most having an ambulance and a trained EMS team.

As far as law inforcement the Vermont State Police and the county Sheriff departments provides police coverage for towns, like mine, without it's own local police department.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
If you do not have 24 hour police protection, what are people to do in the event of a police emergency? Obviously you do not have to deal with serious crime and/or people are armed and can defend themselves if necessary.

What are Vermont's laws on self devense and on gun ownership? Maybe this should be an entirely new thread.
Just what you would do in Brooklyn, dial 911 and wait. If it is a true emergency or serious crime in progress there will be a response, it just might take some some time in getting to where you are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or