U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM

159 posts, read 349,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Unemployment Rates for States

Unemployment by State:

NH 4th best
VT 5th best
MA 25th

The reason Vermont ranks so well high in employment is they put the unemployed on welfare which removes them from the unemployment figures. Or they finally smarten up afetr being laid off umpteen times and see their company closed they move out-of-state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM

400 posts, read 724,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm surprised we haven't had a bridge disaster like MN had, a collapse during heavy traffic...I've seen the bottoms of many bridges from fishing near them, and I won't drive on several now...
We kind of almost did. We blew it up instead of letting it fall in with cars on it though. :P

The concrete nets mentioned is pretty bad though, LOL. That's not really maintaining a bridge...that is more like managing its orderly collapse!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
We kind of almost did. We blew it up instead of letting it fall in with cars on it though. :P

The concrete nets mentioned is pretty bad though, LOL. That's not really maintaining a bridge...that is more like managing its orderly collapse!
Some of them cement chunks could kill someone underneath. It's really pathetic though that we're putting nets under bridges, putting wooden boards on top of bridges (there's a bridge in Rutland where the pedestrian section is covered with wood now because pieces were falling out), building a bridge on top of a bridge with one lane (also seen in Rutland), and I don't think anyone really wants to know what some of the more rural bridges look like underneath...

Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Quote:
building a bridge on top of a bridge with one lane (also seen in Rutland)

Could not believe our eyes when we saw this over by College of St. Joseph.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Could not believe our eyes when we saw this over by College of St. Joseph.
I couldn't believe my ears either when I first drove over it...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 AM

819 posts, read 1,267,418 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe my ears either when I first drove over it...
So does anyone else approach these briges wondering whether you should speed the heck up so hopefully your momentum carries you over ahead of the bridge crumbling to rubble? Maybe it's just me..........

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM

30 posts, read 58,687 times
Here in Mass we have our problems with bridges, and we are supposedly doing better than Vermont. Last summer a bridge broke through outside Boston on 93N and it took a long time to repair. That was maybe a mile from our Big Pig project....which sucked all the money. There have been many news reports of in bad repair bridges throughout the state. Nonetheless, with a relatively low unemployment rate the voters maintained the power of the the Democrats and we all can enjoy the show this spring with they deal with a 2 BILLION dollar deficit. So, don't knock Vermont bridges...we may have to set up tolls in Mass to keep ours from falling down.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM

126 posts, read 302,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Maybe we just looked at different areas, but if Vermont is what counts as good infrastructure in the US then the country is further off the rails than I thought!
I think the latter is correct, unfortunately.

Chicago roads are even worse. Chicago has those 100 year old steel bridges that look like they've been hollowed inside out from rust and are only being supported by the 100 layers of paint. Our subway trains from the airport to downtown go at 20mph, but it's still faster than driving during rush hour. Gotta love those unions.

I would say the best roads I've been on are in Texas, from rural to interstate, all in pretty good condition.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 PM

819 posts, read 1,267,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
I would say the best roads I've been on are in Texas, from rural to interstate, all in pretty good condition.
Holy Maple Syrup!!!! ........and Texas is a predominately Republican state, has been for a long time from what I can recall (I haven’t fact checked that today however). A Red state with good infrastructure and it isn’t bankrupt…………..and their debt rating was recently raised from AA to AA+ by S&P (in 2009)………I find this shocking !!!!! (please note the sarcasm)

Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,027,549 times
Don't get me started on bridges. RI has several that need to be rebuilt. We have signs 10-15 miles from a bridge on I-95 in Pawtucket warning trucks that they need to take an alternate route. Basically, the bridge is about to collapse any minute and instead of actually fixing it, the state is waiting for federal funds. But they don't really care. They put a cop on either side of the highway and pull over trucks and give them an automatic $3000 fine. And that's not the only bridge with problems. The local roads here in Providence, and even pretty much anywhere else in the area, are by far worse than any dirt road I've been on in VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or