Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:19 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times

Advertisements

Please use this thread to discuss politics in Vermont.
Please keep it civil and remember, per the Terms of Service to ATTACK IDEAS/OPINIONS, not the person posting their ideas and opinions.
Thanks you.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Okay. Thanks for the thread. I'll start with our legislators cheating the system to get more of our tax money:

Vermont Legislators Admit to Cheating the System. Are They Justified? | Seven Days

I think if anything, they should be volunteers, not paid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM

118 posts, read 284,955 times
Claiming a reimbursement for an expense that never happened is called stealing not cheating. Also, if the underlying expense claim is bogus the money would be considered regular income in the eyes of the IRS and thus taxable.

If Vermont had any financial disclosure rules at all we would know about these things before they become such systemic problems.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM

166 posts, read 441,552 times
How many other state employees do you think are stealing? I guess its pretty easy for state workers to steal when the state is using a computer system from 1983 that has no modern security checks to detect fraud. This state worker in the NEK stole half a million dollars over a 5 year period before getting caught.

Is fraud costing Vt. taxpayers millions? - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
If you want to avoid redundancy with the whole "why can't we discuss politics in other threads or rather just have a forum on here devoted to Vermont politics" thing, then might I suggest doing a sticky for this? Just a thought...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
Representative Megan Smith (D) Goes On Offense, Attacks Small Business Owner

Rarely do I forward other people's emails to you. However, this recent exchange between a Democrat restaurant business owner and Democrat Rep. Megan Smith of Mendon is one for the storybooks. This email exchange reflects the hostility so many of our incumbent Democrats have to our small business friends. Megan Smith's bare knuckled arrogance, disregard for the 1st Amendment coupled with an all out threat to his business - cross the line of acceptable behavior from our elected representatives. Unfortunately, the other Democrats in the Vermont House of Representatives share the same anti-business, big government voting record as Ms. Smith. They just happen to be more civil in their tone.

The recipient of this email gave permission for it's distribution. Please feel free to forward to five of your friends! Megan's district includes Mendon, Chittenden, Killington & Bridgewater.

Small business owner plea for help.....

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Stephen S. wrote:

I would like to take this chance to echo Jim's sentiment. A little over a year and half ago I was able to open a restaurant in downtown Rutland . The enthusiasm the community had for something like this was beyond my understanding. I was able to be a bright spot in a negative environment, instead of always talking about another storefront closed we were able to rally behind my bringing 40 JOBS TO DOWNTOWN RUTLAND ! That's right, 40 jobs. Today I still carry a staff of 30 people, all of them getting 40 hours. If you continue to try and break the backs of the business community we are just going to put more and more people on the system!

We in the business community can't be expected to fix every problem ourselves. We didn't create them all, why is it our responsibility to fund each solution? We recognize and testified to the fact that we will see increases in Workmans Comp, UI, Catamount etc. It is irresponsible to propose such a political program as Paid Sick Leave. Even in the best of times I would struggle with this philosophically; but now it is down right insulting. What is the purpose of elected officials that ignore their constituents wishes?

Please listen to us, the small business community, as we are the solution moving forward. HELP us, so that we may invest in our communities and help create JOBS.

Thank you for listening,

Steve S.

On Feb 11, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Megan Smith (D) of Mendon wrote: (Verbatim)

Steve,

this was a hearing in a committee that no one from Rutland County is even on. Many bills are considered every day in every committee that never have any action other than discussion. You need to be tracking the bills that are coming up for vote, not everything being discussed. I am a VERY frequent customer in your restaurant and you should consider that before you start sending all of us emails with this kind of insulting tone.
When I owned a restaurant (the Vermont Inn for 13 years) I NEVER got involved in politics because I didn't ever want to offend even one customer, It is a good approach since the Rutland County Democrats have been holding celebrations with you as they used to with me and it was very good business.
Megan Smith

Contact Megan Smith at Megansmithforvermont@gmail.com and tell her how you feel about her communication skills..

Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM

I really, really, look forward to the day I see the clowns in our legislature, on the streets...too many of them are too arrogant, and most of them, seem intent on destroying the state...seems they feel invincible too. Need to make sure the dems don't feel they can automatically win...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
So, the cliff note version is that she basically sent back an indirect threat to this guys' restaurant because he pleaded for her to back small businesses and reconsider backing proposed bills which would add additional burden on them.

Nice open mind by this legislator.........nice move creating a paper trail too........more proof of the arrogance. Sadly, she'll probably be in the seat for a long time.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 AM

Our elitist, self-serving legislature strikes again:

State rejects charter amendments: Rutland Herald Online

Of course they should leave the constitutionality issues up to the courts. The attorney general himself is merely a politician. All a bunch of self-serving politicians trying to maintain their grip on power in the state. Primarily democrats at that.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Our elitist, self-serving legislature strikes again:

State rejects charter amendments: Rutland Herald Online

Of course they should leave the constitutionality issues up to the courts. The attorney general himself is merely a politician. All a bunch of self-serving politicians trying to maintain their grip on power in the state. Primarily democrats at that.
It's a pretty well-balanced committee, 7-4 Democrats to Republicans, which is close to the composition of the House, and the committee vote was unanimous.

What's your theory for how rejecting term limits for municipal officials enables state legislators to "maintain their grip on power"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont