Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You may be an exception, but VT is the most non-religious state in the country. It is also one of the most liberal.

If you are looking for a non-religious, sparsely populated, liberal place to retire, then look no further.

My only other though is that if you are receiving a pension, you might want to check out NH because taxes are a lot lower.
Yeah if you poll Chittenden County and Windham County perhaps you get such results...but that's not all of VT, and I won't even include Chittenden County as really being part of VT anyways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM

444 posts, read 787,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
It gets depressing when you don't see the sun for a week at a time!
I don't like it that much either when it's dark for a long time, though apparently I've got the right mix of neurotransmitters in my brain for boosting my mood through other means. Apparently some people don't.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM

986 posts, read 2,329,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
The Northampton, MA area is still high on our list. There doesn't seem to be anything comparable in northwestern Connecticut (e.g. college towns).
I was under the impression you didn't want to be in a college town. In either case, Northwestern CT isn't so remote that you're not within a relatively easy drive of somewhere with culture. I don't know that I really consider Northampton to be Western Mass. It's west, but not really like the rest of western Mass. Check out the smaller towns farther west. If you need culture, then you're close to Albany.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,243,325 times
The Litchfield Hills (CT) are very nice...and full of "culture". Lots of second homes for NYC folk. Kent is really nice. Looks like Vermont too.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM

986 posts, read 2,329,715 times
Also, if you're into antiquing, it's one of the best places for it.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM

4,976 posts, read 7,349,309 times
If your girlfriend has this problem I think I'd look outside New England, unless you think you could be snowbirds and spend at least part of the winter someplace warm and sunny.

Maybe look into the Chapel Hill, NC area.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
might as well snowbird can buy a nice condo for not much in many nice towns. get out of dodge when you are about to go crazy for a little while and then come back and enjoy the summer!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I was under the impression you didn't want to be in a college town. In either case, Northwestern CT isn't so remote that you're not within a relatively easy drive of somewhere with culture. I don't know that I really consider Northampton to be Western Mass. It's west, but not really like the rest of western Mass. Check out the smaller towns farther west. If you need culture, then you're close to Albany.
I've looked at some of the towns in northwestern Connecticut, and the educational level isn't very impressive until you get pretty far south. I would prefer not to live in a college-dominated town, but if you have a few colleges in an area, the overall educational levels seem to rise a little, if only from the college faculties and staff. Actually I wouldn't mind Connecticut, because one of my sisters lives in Fairfield County (which is too suburban for me).

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If your girlfriend has this problem I think I'd look outside New England, unless you think you could be snowbirds and spend at least part of the winter someplace warm and sunny.

Maybe look into the Chapel Hill, NC area.
It doesn't look as if Massachusetts would be any cloudier than here. It's difficult to diagnose how serious her case of SAD is. Possibly the fact that she has to get up in the dark during winter to go to work makes it worse. I doubt she'd go into meltdown if it were a little darker. It's hard to say though; some people are much better at self-assessment in this sort of thing than others, and she doesn't seem to know.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
might as well snowbird can buy a nice condo for not much in many nice towns. get out of dodge when you are about to go crazy for a little while and then come back and enjoy the summer!
Yes, that's a possibility too, but we're probably too cheap to have two homes. We like to travel, though, and that could break up a dreary winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont