U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM

35,325 posts, read 24,992,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
The Laboratory School at the University of Chicago produces children who qualify for admission to any college of their choice, broadly speaking. It's the result of their superior education. The Lab School charges $25,000 tuition. For only $3,000 more, your town's parents ought to have the same results. What parent would pass up that? I wouldn't have, even if it meant selling two of my kidneys. .

No, you shouldn't, and won't. The children that attend that school are in no way from the same demographic pool as those children that attend a wide open public school in rural Vermont.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM

2,781 posts, read 998,477 times
Quote:
The Laboratory School at the University of Chicago produces children who qualify for admission to any college of their choice, broadly speaking. It's the result of their superior education. The Lab School charges $25,000 tuition. For only $3,000 more, your town's parents ought to have the same results. What parent would pass up that? I wouldn't have, even if it meant selling two of my kidneys.

Of course, it's not that simple, but the argument illustrates the fact that there are far too few people in Vermont interested willing to reconsider the whole scene. The best educational system in the world-- Finland's-- operates for 30% less than the typical American school system, and we cannot bring ourselves to break away from the neoliberal corporate mindset that thinks education is just another factory.
Spending more money does not necessarily translate into better educations. My granddaughter goes to a K-12 STEM-focused charter school in NC. Beautiful modern campus for about 1,600 kids in all. What she is getting education-wise far exceeds what our local kids get and they do it on a budget per student of about 1/3 what we're spending.

Much of their reduced costs comes from economies of scale. School districts are county-wide down there. Her suburban county has 30,000 students in the district. One superintendent for 30,000 vs my district with one superintendent for well less than 1,000. One IT dept. One purchasing dept. One accounting dept etc etc. I would add one Principal for those 1,600 kids vs Principals for less than 100 kid schools around here. Funding duplicative administrations does not give kids better educations. It just adds cost. My granddaughter's school puts 20 kids in a classroom and there is a long waiting list to get into that school. After faculty kids and siblings of existing students that get first choice there were only 30 -40 openings for the 100 kindergarten slots, and there were 700 some odd applicants in the lottery.

That 30,000 student district has a STEM-focused high school and an art-focused high school. It has a middle school for the gifted and talented. There is an International Baccalaureate elementary school, and so forth. And they do it for about 1/3 the cost per student. Property taxes are low and again and again I hear folks around here saying their kids moved to NC after college.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:10 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,030,023 times
Quote:
Transplants, yes; tourists, eh... It's the natives and the transplants who make a community attractive enough for tourists.

Having worked at ski resort housing, I can attest that the vast majority of tourists are very nice people, BUT the problematic ones almost invariably acted from a sense of entitlement they felt their superior income (after all, they could afford two homes!) earned them. I would not want to see these people owning Springfield.

Community: Build it, and they will come. Don't build it, and they will take you over.
If they want tourists they might want to consider more gas stations. We went up north to see the trees change colors and were driving ..... and driving and no gas. We were planning to go into Vermont from New Hampshire but I did not realize that I needed to bring cans of gas with me.

It was kinda sad because I wanted to see Vermont but was not about to run out of gas in the middle of no where lol.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:06 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,281,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judder View Post
It's not just lower income residents and small rural towns voting yes on school budgets and increases in property taxes. Gold towns like Stowe, Norwich, Woodstock, Manchester, and other affluent/resort towns always vote yes on the school budget, which is usually higher than the state average.

The gold towns have very low muni taxes since the tax base is so huge. It's way easier to vote in big school spending when your muni rate is well below 1%. Springfield is 1.4698. Stowe is 0.4128.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Two of the area high schools have had their graduations, one with 18 kids and the other with 23. And people wonder why their taxes are so high. It may have been a warm and fuzzy experience going to their tiny schools but the ones going on to college will not have had anything close to the education their counterparts from large suburban high schools had. Both schools could close and the kids could be easily absorbed into neighboring town high schools that are themselves half empty.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:26 PM

809 posts, read 672,591 times
Yeah, and then your town becomes a quasi-suburb of the neighboring towns. Is that a win-win, or what?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and then your town becomes a quasi-suburb of the neighboring towns. Is that a win-win, or what?
Absolutely it is a win-win. The kids in both towns will get a better education and the property owners in both towns will see their taxes go down.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,281,857 times
Quote:
Itís not like youíre busing them to Bangalore. If you choose to live somewhere rural, your kids spend lots of hours on a yellow school bus. Itís not like that is unique to Vermont.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Itís not like youíre busing them to Bangalore. If you choose to live somewhere rural, your kids spend lots of hours on a yellow school bus. Itís not like that is unique to Vermont.
Exactly. The two tiny high schools I referred to are at tops 10 minutes from each other.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 AM

809 posts, read 672,591 times
Well, if you like living in the burbs, then you've got your answer.

But if you like having your kids grow up with and play with the kids they go to school with; if you like sharing and working in common with the parents of those kids; if you want your community to enjoy knowing that all the parents know all the kids and are backing one an mother up; if you want to know the satisfaction of seeing how your town contributed to the development of every kid; if you want to spend your retirement years enjoying the memories of living in a real community, well then you'd prefer to have a school rather than a reduction in taxes that will give you a night out once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont