U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM

36 posts, read 97,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I agree with skytrekker that Bennington has a more "new york" feel vs. New England.
Probably a good thing, since New York, after all IS the one with the gorgeous Adirondacks, rather than just the view of them
Upper New York State is a beautiful place, so "New York" isn't considered a derogatory term to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,139 times
Perhaps the views are great, but a lot of everything else associated with NY shouldn't really be considered a compliment.

And I speak as a NYer.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM

36 posts, read 97,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Perhaps the views are great, but a lot of everything else associated with NY shouldn't really be considered a compliment.

You misread... VERMONT has the view of the numerous, very high, Upper NYS peaks. Having grown up there, I get a kick out of certain Vermonters on here who keep calling people from everywhere else "flatlanders."

...Especially when you consider that the highest "peak" in Vermont is a mere 4,393 ft above sea level (Mt. Mansfield) and the much lower numbers of such hills compared to the mountains of the Upper NYS area.

At least VT still has the view... you have to forgive them though...seems a form of "short man's complex" at work

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM

141 posts, read 161,124 times
Get used to “flatlander.” It is Vermontese for a non-native.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM

5,818 posts, read 13,271,430 times
Default Arlington VT

Our daughter has lived there for 10 years. It is a very pretty little town about 12 miles north of Bennington.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,454 times
Default Grafton

Check out Grafton - bit pricey but worth it. Small pretty historical town.
Sense of community here. You'll feel like you're living in the pages of Yankee Magazine...

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM

57 posts, read 185,077 times
My daughter just graduated from a college located in Bennington. I have spent a great deal of time in the state during the past four years, and I have looked at a lot of real estate during this time as well.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Bennington. As everyone else has said, it is a blue collar town. I can't quite imagine what employment you could find there with a degree in English. Shopping is quite limited and the cultural activities are centered around the two college campuses, but there are not good relations between the town and the campuses.

You might want to look into Williamstown, MA which is just 20 minutes south of Bennington. It is a much more upscale village. Williams College is larger and has more of a presence in the town. I guess realistically, shopping isn't a whole lot different from Bennington, with the exception of one street near the college that has some nice boutiques and galleries. There is a well-known summer theatre and the Clark Art institute is located there, too. There are some nice restaurants, better hotels and in general, it is just a more pleasant community.

Manchester is a weird combination. From an outsider's point-of-view, it doesn't seem like a real town to me! I know it is as some of the faculty live in Manchester and I have noticed that the "locals" seem to know each other and are friendly to one another. There are many city folk who have second homes in the area, and many who have retired to the area, but there are also younger families. The main industry in town is the busloads of tourists who come to shop all the outlet stores, and to see the leaves in the Fall. Some days you can barely drive down the main street.

That being said, my husband and I LOVE the area. I would think you might want to find a property outside one of the towns where you could have a few acres, or at least a large-sized lot and be in close driving distance to Bennington, Williamstown, Albany and Manchester. Also Rutland is only another 40 minutes up the road and it is a larger "city" with a few more shopping opportunities. (also more traffic jams and not as charming). Also Brattleboro is only 45 minutes from Bennington, if the route isn't clogged with "leafpeepers."

If you are looking for a bit more of a town, I would suggest looking at Montpelier. It is a managable size, has some amenities, is close enough to Burlington to take advantage of the university, the medical center, etc. and you would have a much better chance of finding employment there!!

You can find real estate at all price points in all these areas. You'll just need to go out for awhile, drive around, soak up the atmosphere and see what things are really important to you.

I really love this area and am very envious of you thinking about moving there. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:53 PM

57 posts, read 185,077 times
One more thing...Bennington still has parts that are still the epitome of the lovely, quaint old Vermont town...up near the Monument, the old church where Robert Frost is buried, the beautiful old homes along Monument Avenue. There is also plenty of old housing stock that is pretty run down and still in use! Those areas aren't quite as charming!!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 22,297 times
Well, it's a few months since that last post by FleeingOhioASAP. I wonder if that very unhappy woman ever moved to Vermont? She seems like the type who will take her unhappiness with her.
I too am relocating to Vermont. I'm moving across the country from California. I fell in love with the Manchester/Dorset area and am looking forward to having four seasons.
During all my trips to visit and scout out property I was always treated with kindness and with open friendliness. I acknowledge it is not easy to be assimilated into any new social setting, but I am willing to pay my dues, be the uncomfortable outsider for a while, and extend my hand in friendship to any who are open.
The tax situation makes Vermont an expensive place to live, but the rewards appear to outweigh the cost.
I would welcome any tips on the Dorest area.
Thanks!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,979,896 times
I grew up in the Daks and yes, it's an incredibly beautiful area. It's unfortunate it's in NY. It was a great area until they built that dang Northway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or