Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM

819 posts, read 1,490,005 times

Advertisements

That is the nice thing about the moutain biking scene, good beer friends.......luckily they come from all over up to ride by our place and they bring decent stuff. One of the guys is a brewmaster for Troeg's from PA.....brings up a bunch of test batch stuff and rejects (the rejects are for late night).....

One of our good friends live outside of Springfield MA and bring up some stuff from Paper City that is decent.......

Gotta get to Hill now.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,128,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Jim, my understanding is Switchback is only available on tap, at least my friend with a pizza joint can only get it on tap and not bottled. Not sure I have ever seen bottles.

Agree on the Stovepipe......when someone gives me an Otter Creek sampler the porters are gone first (by me) then the Copper Ale, then the IPA to my wife and then the Black whatever it is goes in a stew or something or lingers.......it's not bad, it's just not liked at our place.

Despite what everyone says, we like the Trout Rainbow Red in a growler and the Barleywine.
A couple of years ago I bought a limited edition bomber of Switchback. It wasn't nearly as good as on tap.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
we had the Foster (the black Rye) a few weeks ago up in Waterbury and loved it...
so you didn't go up the dirt road to the brewery?

Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,945,144 times
We had planned on going and the day just got away from us...it was one of those lazy mornings, lol...but we got lucky that the Black Back pub had some on tap...

Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM

a sad day for vermont beer history

Magic Hat Brewing, Rochester, NY

not that I am/was a fan of Magic Hat

Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,808,232 times
interesting... so is that their location or someone is doing the work for them?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:24 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,223,959 times
They were bought out last year.
They do still brew beer at their South Burlington brewery.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 PM

986 posts, read 2,325,558 times
They have the canned stuff brewed in Rochester (and probably any additional need for capacity, which can only be seen as a good thing). The brewery in Rochester is HUGE. Lots of breweries have beer contract brewed out there.

BTW- Canned beer is a good thing. It's cheaper to make and ship, it protects the beer better than a bottle, and it's better for the environment.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
They were bought out last year.
They do still brew beer at their South Burlington brewery.
I bet not for long

I saw several small breweries in midwest get sucked up by the big brewers. Always the same story - beer will continue to be brewed at small brewery., we respect the history. Several years later - small brewery closed.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 AM

986 posts, read 2,325,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I bet not for long

I saw several small breweries in midwest get sucked up by the big brewers. Always the same story - beer will continue to be brewed at small brewery., we respect the history. Several years later - small brewery closed.
Which breweries? Magic Hat has a strong following and is doing pretty well. There's no reason for them to be closed. Magic Hat is probably the biggest brand of the breweries owned by their new owner (though they also own Gennesee, which is the large brewery in Rochester). There's no reason why they would shut down Magic Hat if they're still making money.

The thing about craft beer is the breweries tend to be small and don't make a ton of money for their owners. We're going to see a lot of buyouts and mergers over the coming years as craft beer matures. The biggest news recently was that Goose Island was bought by Anheuser Busch, but they're keeping their brewery in Chicago and keeping their staff.

The craft beer market has been steadily increasing over the past few years and seriously cutting into the profits of the big guys who are actually seeing some losses, which is why they're trying to get in on the craft beer market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont