U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM

984 posts, read 1,184,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
oh cool... i was just there but didn't go in? but had some Calypso at american flatbread the other night.. and it was pretty darn good.

i have to say i all of the times i've been to the warren store, i've seen lawson's in stock there, maybe once!
Weird. The 2 times I went there (kinda random times, not on Fridays) they had plenty in stock, but usually just the standard stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,773,272 times
Got a bunch of Double Sunshine IPA....getting it nice and cold before we open it....

Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,448,719 times
after getting lost in downtown albany i stumbled upon a wonderful little
german beer garden. i went in and had a Spaten Octoberfest - heaven! Made me sad , again, that the US micro scene is so fixated on hops. IMO, our beer and food lacks delicate balance. People wants spicy food -douse it in tabasco sauce. People want hops, give them even more. Call it "The Hoptimator!"
Fruit forward red wines without balance etc. etc. There isn't any structure.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
after getting lost in downtown albany i stumbled upon a wonderful little
german beer garden. i went in and had a Spaten Octoberfest - heaven! Made me sad , again, that the US micro scene is so fixated on hops. IMO, our beer and food lacks delicate balance. People wants spicy food -douse it in tabasco sauce. People want hops, give them even more. Call it "The Hoptimator!"
Fruit forward red wines without balance etc. etc. There isn't any structure.
There are a few breweries you should check out.

Stoudt's from PA - they do some traditional German style beers, have a great pilsner.

Prodigal Brewing in NH - Not sure when their beer will be available, but it's Paul Davis, formerly of Hooker in CT (before Hooker started to suck), and it's supposed to be all lagers.

Trapp - I'm sure you know them already.

There's a new brewery supposedly opening up in Pawtucket, RI by one of the guys from Pennichuck that used to be in NH. I think I heard it's going to be all lagers and all canned (which makes me excited because we need more canned craft beer).

Unfortunately, the breweries in VT, aside from Trapp, aren't really into the whole traditional thing. Hill Farmstead makes some great Saisons, which you would probably enjoy (though he also has an American one that is hoppy).

Oh, and I believe there is a beer called The Hoptimator.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Oh, and breweries are only making what people want to buy. Same goes for wineries. To a degree, they're just making what sells. There are a few that are experimenting and making some cool stuff. Personally, while I do enjoy some traditional beers, I like to try the more experimental stuff. That's why I like Hill Farmstead so much. He brews what he wants and plays around with it.

That said, I really enjoy a good pilsner, especially in the summer. Too few American breweries make them really well. Victory and Stoudt's are just a couple that do a good job with them.

Oh, and for Oktoberfest beers, try Victory's Festbier and Heavy Seas Marz-hon. They're both very good and very traditional in flavor.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,773,272 times
I loooove Spaten Oktoberfest!!!! One of my favorites...

Btw, the Sunshine Double IPA was really nice...He doesn't know it, but my cousin is going to get two bottles of it tonight for his birthday...how lucky is he, lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM

4,553 posts, read 8,307,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Been there a few times now, never met Matt, but might've met Renee.

They had a smoked porter in those bottles that was good. It might've been called Double Smoked Porter. I like their Jasmine beer (not sure what it's called). Sunny and 75 is nice and light for the summer. Belvedere IPA is awesome. And of course there's the Vermonster. I've had others, but can't recall which. I need to get some Hell's Bock and Mountain Holidays in Vermont sometime (luckily, I can get their beers just over the border in MA).

they must have just released the belvidere again (not sure if that is always available but I had never seen it before recently). been seeing that around and tried it a couple of times. Not bad! don't try that on an empty stomach ha ha

Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
they must have just released the belvidere again (not sure if that is always available but I had never seen it before recently). been seeing that around and tried it a couple of times. Not bad! don't try that on an empty stomach ha ha
Yeah, I think they've made that a regular release. It's quite tasty.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM

804 posts, read 640,962 times
Heading to Hill Farmstead this weekend............should be nice.....weekend of riding the trails as usual, with some friends that love their beer, so might as well head to HF to get a taste of what they do best.........

Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,448,719 times
Is Three Needs still open? I don't recall them getting a mention here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont