U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM

4,470 posts, read 5,889,609 times
My DH and I will be vacationing in VT next week. We are huge beer fans. We have gotten our Vermont Brewery Challenge passports and are ready to scour the entire State and sample. Just wondering which breweries are the best to visit and which may not be worth the trip? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

984 posts, read 1,185,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
My DH and I will be vacationing in VT next week. We are huge beer fans. We have gotten our Vermont Brewery Challenge passports and are ready to scour the entire State and sample. Just wondering which breweries are the best to visit and which may not be worth the trip? Thanks.
IF you do the passport, visit all of them!

Rock Art is cool to visit, though I haven't been to their new brewery. Visit Hill Farmstead, though I don't know if he's on the passport yet or not. Magic Hat usually has some great beers available on tap at the brewery, even if the stuff they distribute isn't anything special. Long Trail often has something special on at the brewery and is in a beautiful location. Harpoon is also in a really nice location (they're not too far from Long Trail). I don't know if the Trapp Family Lodge is on there, but their beers are excellent. I've had them at a few different bars, but never been to the brewery.

Then there's the brewpubs, also on that list. The Alchemist, Bobcat Cafe, Vermont Pub & Brewery, and the American Flatbread in Burlington all have excellent beers. The beers at the Norwich Inn are solid, but not as good as the others, IMO. I haven't been to McNeills, but the bottled beers they distribute have not been anything special. I've heard they're much better on tap at the brewpub.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM

4,470 posts, read 5,889,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
IF you do the passport, visit all of them!

Rock Art is cool to visit, though I haven't been to their new brewery. Visit Hill Farmstead, though I don't know if he's on the passport yet or not. Magic Hat usually has some great beers available on tap at the brewery, even if the stuff they distribute isn't anything special. Long Trail often has something special on at the brewery and is in a beautiful location. Harpoon is also in a really nice location (they're not too far from Long Trail). I don't know if the Trapp Family Lodge is on there, but their beers are excellent. I've had them at a few different bars, but never been to the brewery.

Then there's the brewpubs, also on that list. The Alchemist, Bobcat Cafe, Vermont Pub & Brewery, and the American Flatbread in Burlington all have excellent beers. The beers at the Norwich Inn are solid, but not as good as the others, IMO. I haven't been to McNeills, but the bottled beers they distribute have not been anything special. I've heard they're much better on tap at the brewpub.
Thank you. We do "plan" to visit them all. But just in case time doesn't allow, I wanted to know what might be useful to skip. Honestly, I don't think we will be able to squeeze them all in. Might have to shoot for the ten brewery t-shirt. The breweries currently listed on the passport are as follows:

Alchemist
Bobcat
Harpoon
Hill Farmstead
Lawson's
Long Trail
Madison
Magic Hat
McNeill's
Northshire
The Norwich Inn
Otter Creek
The Perfect Pear
Rock Art
The Shed
Switchback
Three Needs
Trapp
Trout River
Vermont Pub
Zero Gravity

We regularly get Long Trail and Harpoon at home. It will be fun to get them from the source.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Thank you. We do "plan" to visit them all. But just in case time doesn't allow, I wanted to know what might be useful to skip. Honestly, I don't think we will be able to squeeze them all in. Might have to shoot for the ten brewery t-shirt. The breweries currently listed on the passport are as follows:

Alchemist
Bobcat
Harpoon
Hill Farmstead
Lawson's
Long Trail
Madison
Magic Hat
McNeill's
Northshire
The Norwich Inn
Otter Creek
The Perfect Pear
Rock Art
The Shed
Switchback
Three Needs
Trapp
Trout River
Vermont Pub
Zero Gravity

We regularly get Long Trail and Harpoon at home. It will be fun to get them from the source.
Guess my passport is old. It doesn't have The Perfect Pear, Northshire, Trapp, or Hill Farmstead. I wonder if I can transfer stamps...

Zero Gravity is the brewpub in the Burlington American Flatbread, just so you know. And I still stand by my recommendations. Lawson's is on there, but pre-stamped because you can't really visit him (at least last I knew). You can buy his beers at the Warren Store in Warren, and I recommend you do. His beers are awesome.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,774,420 times
We visited the tasting room at Rock Art in June...it was okay. They had just opened up that week, in fact, I think it was before the grand opening so it was very quiet.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,450,103 times
I finally saw a bottle of Lawsons at the beverage store in Winooski. One of those collaboration beers made with another brewery

$19.99

yeah right

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I finally saw a bottle of Lawsons at the beverage store in Winooski. One of those collaboration beers made with another brewery

$19.99

yeah right
I'd buy it. But I also bought a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,450,103 times
the blackback pub in Waterbury purchased the sushi place next door and is exxpanding as we speak. they will be adding at least 12 new lines so they'll have 24-26 choices on tap. this last weekend they had 5(!) Hill Farmstead selections.

i must say it was very cool sitting in the tiny bar, but I usually go on weekend afternoons. i'm sure it was cramped during evening hours.

this bar really knows how to serve beer - much more so than three penny tap in montpelier. i recommend blackback highly.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM

4,554 posts, read 8,316,793 times
Twitter

'The Alchemist, 2003-2011' - 99 Bottles - Inside the world of craft beer - Boston.com

wonder if the heady topper will make it to stores (when the roads are back).

Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,627,940 times
Alchemist is down for the count for now.

'The Alchemist, 2003-2011' - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont