U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM

986 posts, read 2,033,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I also gave up on Magic Hat a couple years ago; I saw some of their "craftier" brews the other day and almost pulled the trigger, but held back. Might have to try them. Got a another growler of Double Galaxy and Twilight along with the coveted bottle of Birth of Tragedy plus a staple in Anna. Polished off a bottle of Ballast Point Porter the other day....not VT obviously but worthy of their Advocate ranking.

Long Trail is relatively steady in their limited offerings. I haven't bought Smuttynose for several years, might have to go back......how are their porter and stout offerings? Recommendations?

Thanks
Smuttynose doesn't have a regular stout offering, but their Robust Porter is really good. In their big beer series they do a Baltic Porter that is awesome and an Imperial Stout that is also pretty awesome (it's a bit hoppy, but if you age it a year or so, it tastes amazing).

Give Magic Hat a try. Some of their newer offerings are pretty good. Howl is a great black lager, and their new IPAs are really good (not like Hill, obviously).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM

819 posts, read 1,270,384 times
Thanks Jim. I'll consider the MH stuff next time......

I have some selections from Troegs to burn through as well.....

Not VT, but good......have you tried Obovoid from the Boulder Brewing Co...Oak Aged Oatmeal Stout.....solid offering right there.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Thanks Jim. I'll consider the MH stuff next time......

I have some selections from Troegs to burn through as well.....

Not VT, but good......have you tried Obovoid from the Boulder Brewing Co...Oak Aged Oatmeal Stout.....solid offering right there.
I found Obovoid a bit thin and watery for a stout.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 AM

819 posts, read 1,270,384 times
I guess it depends on what the point of reference is for a stout. I find many stouts thinner than I would think as well.

One of the best stouts I've had was actually from the Bar Harbor Brewing Company.....I think they called it the Caddilac Mountain Stout or something. Friend of ours dropped off some.....

One beer that surprised me was the Shipyard smashed blueberry this fall. I'm not a fan of fruit beers normally, but that one was reasonably palatable on draft and had a high ABV.

Cracked the Twilight this evening.......ahhh.....taste....

Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,421,479 times
Ahh..Cadillac Mountain Stout. Met someone on vacation and we started talking beer. He gave me one of those and I traded him a Harpoon Munich Dark. I thought the Cadillac was very good. Of course, being a nice day on a lake cruising in a boat helps . Bar Harbors Blueberry is my favorite fruit beer. Nicely done without being overly sweet. Hard to find here though.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,786,597 times
Alchemist:
Quote:
More Brown Than Black IPA is now for sale here at The Cannery. $4 - 12 oz bottle $1 - 2 oz sampler while supplies last. we only got 27 cases

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Damn! That's one expensive bottle. What's the ABV on that? I only spend that much on a 12 oz bottle if it's a strong beer or an import... especially considering the 4 packs of 16 oz Heady Topper cans are only like $12.

EDIT: I realize I spend $15 on a 750 ml bottle from Hill Farmstead. Don't judge.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,238,062 times
My fiancé spent $40 on a bottle of Founders CBS Imperial Stout yesterday.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
My fiancé spent $40 on a bottle of Founders CBS Imperial Stout yesterday.
I spent $160 on a bottle of Utopias once... but that's different. I've also spent $30 on a lambic, but they're expensive to make. I guess $4 for a 12 oz bottle isn't really all that much.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,671,664 times
Well I finally got my hands on a bottle of Lawson's Double Sunshine IPA. It was much better than the Lawson's (Sugarhouse?) IPA I tried a couple of weeks ago.

The previous one just tasted like straight up piney hops. The Double Sunshine had that juicy, citrusy thing going on. Not the total hops explosion of Heady Topper, but balanced nicely. Thumbs up.

Still Heady Topper sets the bar for me with it's incredible complexity. And I'm not really digging the $10 price tag on a bomber of Double Sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or