U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,586 times

Advertisements

Vermont brewers association has them all listed for you. Get a passport from your first one and have it stamped. Haven't been yet but hillstead farms is supposed to be the Holy Grail of Vermont beer. I'd recomend The Bobcat in Bristol for dinner.The food is excellent, but make reservations for sure. Each one has their own virtues.depends on what your looking for. I enjoyed the Norwich inn because it's small and the brewer loves to talk beer. Harpoon is big, busy, and used to make my favorite beer. Fun in the summer because you can sit outside under the trees. Long Trail is always busy with tourists. Not my favorite beer but the food is good, the servers very beer savvy and always a good time. Sounds like a fun time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM

986 posts, read 2,032,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hi guys. I'm dragging my wife on a Vermont Brewery trip from Tuesday to Friday next week. We are going to stay in Burlington the whole time but drive around to different areas. What are the Must See Vermont breweries? Thanks!
Staying in Burlington, you're gonna have a bit of a drive to most of the breweries. As was recommended, pick up a brewers passport (the breweries have these). Since you'll be in Burlington, go to all the breweries there, including Magic Hat (cool place, and while the beer they distribute is mediocre, they often have something really good on tap at the brewery). Hit up Vermont Pub & Brewery and American Flatbread (across the street from each other). I haven't been to Three Needs and have not heard good things, but if you'll be in Burlington anyway, might as well stop in and have a beer (they're only open at night and no food).

Hill Farmstead is probably the holy grail of VT breweries (heck, probably the holy grail of New England breweries). I'd recommend going there. The area is beautiful. And if you're going there, you may as well stop by Rock Art in Morrisville. They make some good beers and the people there are super awesome. You could also stop by Trapp Lodge in Stowe. They make some awesome lagers. There's also The Shed in Stowe, if it's still open. I honestly found them to have the worst beers of any brewery/brewpub I've been to in VT. And on Rt 100 headed from 89 up to Stowe/Morrisville, there's the Alchemist Cannery. Definitely stop by and buy some Heady Topper.

I second the Bobcat Cafe recommendation, though I've never had to make a reservation there. You may not have to during the week either. Their food and beer is awesome. And if you're headed down that way anyway, you might as well go to Otter Creek in Middlebury, only about 15-20 min away. They don't do tours, but have a nice tasting area with windows into the brewery. If you end up down there, you could shoot over the Appalachian Gap into Waitsfield and make the short drive down 100 to Warren to pick up some Lawson's beer at the Warren Store.

If you're going to do Long Trail, you might as well do Harpoon. They both have food. I've only eaten at Long Trail, never Harpoon. They both should have something good on tap as well (I'm a fan of both breweries). They're relatively close to each other. The Norwich Inn is only about 20-30 min north of Long Trail, so they're relatively close.

There's also McNeill's in Brattleboro and Trout River in Lyndonville (way up near St Johnsbury). I have yet to visit those breweries.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,586 times
Thanks Jim, we're starting our northern leg when the weathers nicer and you've laid it out pretty well for us. It started with my wife and I and another couple. Next trip we're renting a small bus and have about 15 people going. It's a lot of fun.......but we realized that hitting too many in one day , even just doing samples, is a lot of beer. So we plan to do a couple breweries and end with one with food. Any recomendations for theh northern leg... Might interest the OP too. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,236,838 times
The Shed is closed....Otter Creek is now brewing their Mountain Ale and bottling it I believe - not sure about their other beers. I was never a big fan of their stuff but I did like the Mountain Ale, at least the last time I had it which was a few years ago. Now that I'm spoiled by Hill Farmstead, not sure I could go back.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Thanks Jim, we're starting our northern leg when the weathers nicer and you've laid it out pretty well for us. It started with my wife and I and another couple. Next trip we're renting a small bus and have about 15 people going. It's a lot of fun.......but we realized that hitting too many in one day , even just doing samples, is a lot of beer. So we plan to do a couple breweries and end with one with food. Any recomendations for theh northern leg... Might interest the OP too. Thanks!
Perhaps start at Trout River, head over to Hill Farmstead (they're not terribly far from each other), then over to Morrisville for Rock Art, down to the Alchemist Cannery, and then back up to Stowe for Trapp Lodge (where you can eat). The Cannery really isn't that far south of Stowe, so it doesn't put you that out of the way to go there first (since there's no food).

Of course, I don't know the hours of most of these places, but assuming Trout River is open early enough, you should have plenty of time to follow this route. Rock Art is about an hour from Hill Farmstead, and then the rest of those breweries are no more than 20 min apart. I know Hill only tends to have 5 beers on tap and you have to pay for tastings there (though they might be willing to not charge for the tasting if you're all buying beer from him). Rock Art only has 4 beers on tap at a time I believe (at least at their old brewery it was that way, may have changed at the new place).

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,784,746 times
There is a new brewery in Shelburne (just south of Burlington)
Fiddlehead Brewing | Shelburne VT | Vermont Microbrewery
They are new so not sure they are on the passport or not. If you check them out let me know how it is!
Re: Bobcat Cafe-its always best to make a reservation especially on the weekend. Weekdays are not as busy but if you really really want to go there I'd make a reservation to make sure. You can always try and sit at the bar too-it's small so its hit or miss if you'll get a spot or not.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
There is a new brewery in Shelburne (just south of Burlington)
Fiddlehead Brewing | Shelburne VT | Vermont Microbrewery
They are new so not sure they are on the passport or not. If you check them out let me know how it is!
Sounds like a place to hit while in Burlington. I'd go there, hit Magic Hat and then wander downtown for VPB, Flatbread, and Three Needs (and probably end up at one of the restaurants with a good local beer selection).

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM

8,705 posts, read 7,099,783 times
Thanks for the info, especially Jim. We've done a few brewery trips to different areas and my wife asked this time if we could stay at one hotel instead of bouncing around. I had to give it to her; it can get annoying to check into multiple hotels in only a few days span. I'm very excited to get on the road Tuesday!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Thanks for the info, especially Jim. We've done a few brewery trips to different areas and my wife asked this time if we could stay at one hotel instead of bouncing around. I had to give it to her; it can get annoying to check into multiple hotels in only a few days span. I'm very excited to get on the road Tuesday!
One of the longer trips I had in VT, I stayed in Hyde Park for 2 nights, then in Middlebury for 2 nights, then in White River for a night before heading home. it was quite the trip. I think I saw 5 breweries that trip (one was a repeat). I need to plan a VT trip this summer.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 PM

8,705 posts, read 7,099,783 times
Last December I hit 8 breweries in upstate NY. We stayed in Syracuse the first night, Oswego the second and Ithaca the third. She pretty much told me that was the last time we were doing it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or