U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,669,680 times

Advertisements

OK, so this isn't a Vermont beer.

It's a California Beer from the Russian River Brewing Company in California. The reason I'm posting this is Heady Topper just passed this beer to get to number 5 on the Beer Advocate Top 100. Yes this is a great beer, not as tropically juicy as Heady but a fantastically delicious well hopped ale. I'd take heady any day though. I've been trading Vermont beers for some of the highly touted beers across the country. It's been fun, but most importantly I realize how good our ales are compared to everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM

986 posts, read 2,031,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
OK, so this isn't a Vermont beer.

It's a California Beer from the Russian River Brewing Company in California. The reason I'm posting this is Heady Topper just passed this beer to get to number 5 on the Beer Advocate Top 100. Yes this is a great beer, not as tropically juicy as Heady but a fantastically delicious well hopped ale. I'd take heady any day though. I've been trading Vermont beers for some of the highly touted beers across the country. It's been fun, but most importantly I realize how good our ales are compared to everywhere else.
Pliny is more piney than Heady Topper. If you prefer piney hops, Pliny is what you want. I love them both, but I'd put Heady Topper above Pliny in my own personal rankings.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,269,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Pliny is more piney than Heady Topper. If you prefer piney hops, Pliny is what you want. I love them both, but I'd put Heady Topper above Pliny in my own personal rankings.
I've had Pliney once and I would agree with this. I would also put Double Galaxy in a slot not too far below Heady.

Speaking of DIPAs etc. I was pleasently surprised by Laguinitas' Sumpin' Ale, much better than originally anticipated at 7.5% ABV. And their seasonal Capuccino Stout was a solid offering.

That being said, I find many of the breweries I have tried fro the west coast tend to lag behind on their porters and stouts with many calling beers "porter" that I wouldn't consider a porter necessarily. But maybe I'm just having bad luck......

Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I've had Pliney once and I would agree with this. I would also put Double Galaxy in a slot not too far below Heady.

Speaking of DIPAs etc. I was pleasently surprised by Laguinitas' Sumpin' Ale, much better than originally anticipated at 7.5% ABV. And their seasonal Capuccino Stout was a solid offering.

That being said, I find many of the breweries I have tried fro the west coast tend to lag behind on their porters and stouts with many calling beers "porter" that I wouldn't consider a porter necessarily. But maybe I'm just having bad luck......
Lagunitas is good, but not great. Honestly, I find many west coast breweries to be overrated. They overdo it with the hops. My preferred breweries are those here in New England, some of the midwest breweries, and the ones from the Northwest and Colorado. Russian River is an outstanding brewery. They don't overdo it. Pliny is fantastic because it's incredibly balanced.

Now don't get me wrong, I do love a crazy in-your-face hoppy beer, but they're just fun. I wouldn't rate them above a really nice well-balanced IPA that still showcases the hops. Hill Farmstead's IPA's are all this way, which is why his brewery is one of the best in the country. He knows how to perfectly craft an awesome beer.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,774,922 times
I have heard much about the Pliny, but never had it. I've seen it compared to Heady topper too, in some reviews. the heady topper is very balanced. You don't even notice you are drinking an 8% beer

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

The Lagunitas is the only west coast I would buy again with my own money. Stone is overrated to me in many of their offerings and I think the people that wax poetic about the west coast stuff need to expand their tastings a bit.

Russian River is outstanding. Obviously certain breweries do one or two offereings very well and others fall into the "average" category but HFS seems to just hit home runs, some just travel farther out of the park.

A perfect example of a great brew from an average brewery in my mind is the Caddy Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor......

My wife has been the one purchasing lately so I can't complain that she has chosen to try out the Lagunitas stuff; we also have 3 bottles of damon to look forward to when we get to our place this weekend......

Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The Lagunitas is the only west coast I would buy again with my own money. Stone is overrated to me in many of their offerings and I think the people that wax poetic about the west coast stuff need to expand their tastings a bit.

Russian River is outstanding. Obviously certain breweries do one or two offereings very well and others fall into the "average" category but HFS seems to just hit home runs, some just travel farther out of the park.

A perfect example of a great brew from an average brewery in my mind is the Caddy Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor......

My wife has been the one purchasing lately so I can't complain that she has chosen to try out the Lagunitas stuff; we also have 3 bottles of damon to look forward to when we get to our place this weekend......
Stone's non-hoppy beers are all fantastic. But they concentrate on the hoppy beers. They all taste the same. They use the same hops in all of them and they just all taste too similar.

I actually like the "average" breweries. I am not looking to always drink top notch beers. Sometimes I just want a solid beer that tastes good and is affordable (HFS is NOT affordable).

Cadillac Mountain Stout is an awesome beer. I think I have one in my fridge or cellar.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Jim, you're right, HFS isn't exactly affordable, plus even if it was, you have to make the trek and go out of the way to get some so it isn't practical for regular consumption.

I'm not an everage beer kinda guy, at least not on purpose......our fridge is usually stocked with Caddilac, Heady, BBC Porter bombers (easily found), Some Rock Art selections, Ballast Point porters, the Lagunitas DIPA and HFS selections for special occasions. Life's too short for crappy beer.

That being said, a good brew pub or a brewery with a pub with average selections is very fine by me.....I'll gladlythrow back some brews and they don't all have to have ribbons and rank in Beer Advocate....

And in Vermont hunting camps with my friends the only choice is Bud.....so I make due or drink whiskey :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Jim, you're right, HFS isn't exactly affordable, plus even if it was, you have to make the trek and go out of the way to get some so it isn't practical for regular consumption.

I'm not an everage beer kinda guy, at least not on purpose......our fridge is usually stocked with Caddilac, Heady, BBC Porter bombers (easily found), Some Rock Art selections, Ballast Point porters, the Lagunitas DIPA and HFS selections for special occasions. Life's too short for crappy beer.

That being said, a good brew pub or a brewery with a pub with average selections is very fine by me.....I'll gladlythrow back some brews and they don't all have to have ribbons and rank in Beer Advocate....

And in Vermont hunting camps with my friends the only choice is Bud.....so I make due or drink whiskey :-)
By "average" I mean things like Long Trail, Smuttynose, Harpoon, even Rock Art (actually, I only like Rock Art's bombers... their regular lineup leaves a lot to be desired). Heck, I'd call BBC an "average" brewery. I don't mean "average" in the sense of what the average drinker drinks... I mean average in the sense of average rated beers... not top notch, but not bottom of the barrel... the everyday stuff.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,669,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
some of the midwest breweries,.
I also got some Zombie Dust by Three Floyds Brewing in Indiana.
Thought this was supposed to be super juicy, not imo. However, I think it's a Pale Ale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or