U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 PM

986 posts, read 1,254,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It's on draft at the bars but not avaolable at the brewery for growlers.. sounds like it could be next week - I'll be there.

and i'll get more tonight because I'll be heading back for my credit card which I left at a bar. good thing I took a bus.
Ha! Nice! I had it at the brewery and brought home a growler. I think that was my first trip there a few months after he opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,551,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Ha! Nice! I had it at the brewery and brought home a growler. I think that was my first trip there a few months after he opened.
well I went back and had a Hill Farmstead Edward Pale Ale - it's in the running for my favorite HF.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 PM

4,671 posts, read 8,864,660 times
I tried Edward at theMad Taco today. It is very good. Nice and hoppy, it sort of tastes and feels bigger than it is if it is only 5.1%. Mad Taco is another good place to go with a nice selection of beers on tap.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM

813 posts, read 700,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It's on draft at the bars but not avaolable at the brewery for growlers.. sounds like it could be next week - I'll be there.

and i'll get more tonight because I'll be heading back for my credit card which I left at a bar. good thing I took a bus.
I believe I saw it yesterday, on the board. They had to change their tasting offering of $7 for 7 due to VT laws, so now you pay $5 and choose 4 to try.....

We walked away with a good amoung of Everett, some Solitude #3, Enlightenment, Abner and Arthur.

Looked in the basement and I evidently sitll have two bottles of Damon and one Mimosa as well.....nice!!!!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Vermont Beer Makers Bring Back Old-Time Maple Sap Brews : The Salt : NPR

Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM

438 posts, read 361,869 times
There seem to be quite a few beer connoisseurs on this thread. I've been trying to find good, readily available Vermont beers that are reasonably priced since I moved here last year but haven't had much success. I didn't like any of the Long Trail, Harpoon, Otter Creek or Rock Art beers I tried. Wolaver's seems slightly better but not great. I tried several of the beers at the Bobcat Cafe and wasn't impressed at all (though, as vter says, the food is pretty good). I recently tried The Alchemist's Heady Topper and found it quite good. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
There seem to be quite a few beer connoisseurs on this thread. I've been trying to find good, readily available Vermont beers that are reasonably priced since I moved here last year but haven't had much success. I didn't like any of the Long Trail, Harpoon, Otter Creek or Rock Art beers I tried. Wolaver's seems slightly better but not great. I tried several of the beers at the Bobcat Cafe and wasn't impressed at all (though, as vter says, the food is pretty good). I recently tried The Alchemist's Heady Topper and found it quite good. Do you guys have any recommendations?
I enjoyed all the beers I had at Bobcat Cafe (which is pretty much all 10 they had on tap when I was there). I also enjoy Harpoon (especially the Leviathan and 100 Bbl series beers) and Long Trail (especially the Brewmaster's Series). Rock Arts standard beers aren't anything to write home about, but their bigger beers (the ones in the bombers) are all pretty good, some better than others. I've never been a huge Otter Creek fan (and if you didn't know, Wolaver's is Otter Creek, just their organic lineup... and technically Otter Creek is now Long Trail as they were bought out not all that long ago, but I think they run themselves independently).

So... if none of the "standard" beers are good enough for you, you will have to go with Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's. Luckily, you aren't too far from Warren being in Middlebury. Hill Farmstead will be more difficult to get though. I also have enjoyed every Switchback beer I've had (which I think is 3 of them).

The only other brewery I've had was Trapp, and I really enjoyed all the beers I've had from them (which I think is only 2, I need to get my butt up to the brewery at some point).

The brewpubs in Burlington are also great... check out Vermont Pub and Brewery and Zero Gravity at American Flatbread.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,551,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I realize heady topper is 12.79 a 4 pack, but I consider it a full blown bargain considering the quality and alcohol level.

Hill Farmstead growlers at $15 and $18 make a reasonable two night supply.

As for the rest of them mentioned - all ok, but I'l scrounge up an extra four or five bucks for Heady or Hill Farmstead every time. I'll try to make a cut somewhere else on the grocery list.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM

i don't love any of the normal 6pack line up of any of these breweries either. it seems like you have to look outside of 12oz bottles to get the really good VT beers. and then the price is significantly higher. 4pack of heady topper is the same price of a 12pack of the bigger brands!

heady topper is still imo one of the best deals for how much i enjoy it though.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i don't love any of the normal 6pack line up of any of these breweries either. it seems like you have to look outside of 12oz bottles to get the really good VT beers. and then the price is significantly higher. 4pack of heady topper is the same price of a 12pack of the bigger brands!
The Harpoon 100 Barrel series beers are about $5 per bomber, not a bad deal. The Long Trail ones are slightly more. The Harpoon Leviathan series beers are about $10 per 4 pack of 12 oz bottles (I have yet to have a Leviathan beer I didn't like).

I am a fan of some of Harpoon's regular lineup. Their IPA isn't a great IPA, but it's not bad in a pinch. Their regular Ale is pertty tasty as well. And I love the Munich Dark (I think that's now just called Dark). I also like their seasonals. Their summer seasonal is one of my favorite summer seasonals because it's not a light wheat beer. It's a tasty kolsch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont