Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 AM

444 posts, read 788,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Went to Bobcat in Bristol for wife's birthday on Thursday, I just love this place for it's atmosphere and food. Beers are pretty good too. Tried an ale called Brick Wall Imperial Ale. Some of the hops in it were grown on the side of their building. I believe it also had hops from around Addison county. A substantial complex brew that I really enjoyed. A tad sweet, but not cloyingly so. I thought I picked up a little brandy taste, although it could have been the shape of the glass.
The Bobcat Cafe is one of our favorites too (though we slightly prefer Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes, which has the same chef). The number of good restaurants for a rural area is amazing. If this were the rural Midwest, you'd only see all-you-can-eat buffets with obese people stuffing their faces. I'm taking my nephew to Bobcat next week - he's a microbrew nut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
i didn't love knock out blonde either, but I like IPAs mostly.

We tried the knock out blonde and lawson's 3 penny tap room especiale which is a 3.5% IPA a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the epeciale a lot better even with the super low ABV. i thought low ABV and hoppy bitter wouldn't work well together.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Thanks for the tips. I bought Heady Topper at the local American Flatbread, so I'm not sure what the normal retail price is. I'd soon become a drunk with that - 8% alcohol content I think. I'll try Switchback, and Hill Farmstead and Lawson's if I can find them locally. I hardly ever go to Burlington, so I may never get around to checking out their brewpubs. Right now my staple is Leffe Blonde and I'm getting a little tired of it.
it seems like many of the great VT beers aren't sold in 6 packs so i agree this is hard. I don't want to drink an 8% heady topper everyday either!!!

i'm half considering getting a 1/6 keg of something good but this seems like it's asking for me to drink more than i should also.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM

444 posts, read 788,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
it seems like many of the great VT beers aren't sold in 6 packs so i agree this is hard. I don't want to drink an 8% heady topper everyday either!!!

i'm half considering getting a 1/6 keg of something good but this seems like it's asking for me to drink more than i should also.
Yeah, I've been drinking one or two beers a day for forty years, and having all these exotic, expensive choices complicates things a lot. For many years I drank Stroh's, when the other choices were just Pabst, Budweiser, Miller, etc. I wanted to have some Heady Topper on hand for my nephew this weekend, and guess what? There is none available in Addison County this week. I ended up driving all the way to the brewery in Waterbury, where I bought a case. It's so strong that it has to be consumed in moderation. Unless you're a hard-core alcoholic, I think two cans back-to-back would wipe you out. But still I'd rather have these choices than not have them, since I'm retired and can afford to blow a couple of hours driving across the mountains. The scenery alone is worth the drive.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Only in Warren ...Mr. Lawson was serving his fine ale in a nook hidden from the street, next to a nice house whose lawn we just happened to be squatting (along with a few hundred others) for the parade. It was the Blonde ale... but we knew there was something different about it. A special dry hopped version! Much more to the hop lovers liking. Pretty cool Thank you to the homeowner and Sean.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
That is awesome.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM

819 posts, read 1,494,589 times
Made a Hill run yesterday.....Runaway Jim, I agree with you, totally underwhelmed by Double Citra....it was blah. Took home some Everette (as usual), Enlightenment (easy drinker) and Solitude #4......which is good but I give it a 7; where I loved the Solitude #2. I know he has some sitting in wine barrels ready to be released as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Made a Hill run yesterday.....Runaway Jim, I agree with you, totally underwhelmed by Double Citra....it was blah.
I think that was me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
where I loved the Solitude #2. I know he has some sitting in wine barrels ready to be released as well.
And it was released today under the name Jimmy. I got two bottles at the bottle release today. Haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
There's a new bottle from Bobcat Cafe which I purchased at Beverage Warehouse in Winooski -Flood Suds.It's a Belgian style wit beer. Haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM

i had no idea they bottled, that is pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont