U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
New brewery in Middlebury:
https://www.facebook.com/dropinbrewing
Part of the American Brewers Guild Brewing School
American Brewers Guild

Stopped by today. They had three offerings - 2 Belgian IPA's and a Wee Heavy Scottish Ale.

To be honest, those two styles are not my favorites. I tried the belgian IPA's and they were the mix of fruity spice and hops you would expect. Also tried the Wee Heavy. Strong smoked malt taste - had a fair amount of substance to it. As you can see, I bought a "squealer" of the Wee Heavy, which is a small growler. Also notice my retro Meteor Ale glass (from Alsace France) that I got at an East Middlebury Estate sale this afternoon - from the Free Box.

We've become spoiled - living on a steady diet of Lawson's, Hill Farmstead, and Heady. I doubt this brewery
will reach such status, but I think it's off to a solid start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 PM

986 posts, read 2,026,200 times
Is Lawson's really that much more expensive than Hill Farmstead?

I had the Knockout Blonde last weekend when I was up in Burlington at the Farmhouse. I found it to be quite enjoyable. Also finally got to try James (I had to, it's named after me or something). And I tried Fiddlehead IPA, which I found to be quite odd... I'd say it was bad, but I think they were going for different. It wasn't hoppy like I was expecting, but it was hoppy. It had a bit of a lemon flavor to it.

While I was up there, I stopped by the Beverage Warehouse in Winooski and picked up some local beers (they were all out of Heady, as was the brewery when I stopped by on my way up to BTV). I grabbed a Northshire Chocolate Stout (tried that tonight and dumped it, it was really nasty), The Shed IPA and Mountain Ale (enjoyed both), and a Trout River barleywine, which I'm curious to try. My wife grabbed Long Trail's Pumpkin Ale (I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers). I was impressed by the selection of beers you guys get up there... a lot of stuff I can't get here in RI (though I imagine I could in MA if I was willing to drive 15-20 min to buy beer).

Old 08-26-2012, 02:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,266,685 times
Jim, Boneyard is about the only thing from Trout I will pay for, not that it is awesome, but so far I have found it drinkable, about the same as Rock Art's Ridgerunner BW.

Here's my random beer thought of the day.......what is the deal with Red Ales? My friend, who also loves his small batch beers and I were talking the other day and to us they really all tast very much the same, and that isn't a good taste to us. I can stomach a real cold one for about 8oz and then I'm ready for sometihng that actually tasted good.

If you guys ahven't tried the Chocolate Blackberry Milk Stout from Kingdom Brewing, give it a whirl, loved it.

Also, in related but different news, if you haven't tried the Barr Hill Gin made by Caledonia Spirits, give it a whirl, made with honey, very interesting gin.

Have a Sammy Double Pumpkin in the fridge today, my thought is that if I start drinking cliche' fall beers, fall will arrive sooner.....if the pumpkin crap doesn't work, I'll move to hard ciders.....

Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM

986 posts, read 2,026,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Jim, Boneyard is about the only thing from Trout I will pay for, not that it is awesome, but so far I have found it drinkable, about the same as Rock Art's Ridgerunner BW.

Here's my random beer thought of the day.......what is the deal with Red Ales? My friend, who also loves his small batch beers and I were talking the other day and to us they really all tast very much the same, and that isn't a good taste to us. I can stomach a real cold one for about 8oz and then I'm ready for sometihng that actually tasted good.
Hmmmmm... I'm not a fan of Ridge Runner. I like Vermonster, but Ridge Runner is very blah. Oh well... I'll try it anyway since I bought it.

Red Ales... they're slightly varied. There are Irish Red Ales, which are malty without any real hops bitterness. And then there's American Red Ales, which are harder to describe because Amber Ales are usually lumped in there. I find Amber Ales to be blah. But a Red Ale could be good... take Switchback's as an example. It uses roasted malts, so it's got more of a roasted flavor. It's actually quite tasty. And I had an Amber Ale from Baxter Brewing in Maine that was terrific, but it had a nice hoppy flavor to it. So they can vary... but most people who have gotten into very flavorful beers tend not to like them while people who drink nothing but Bud will use them as a starting point into craft beer.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Hmmmmm... I'm not a fan of Ridge Runner. I like Vermonster, but Ridge Runner is very blah. Oh well... I'll try it anyway since I bought it.

Red Ales... they're slightly varied. There are Irish Red Ales, which are malty without any real hops bitterness. And then there's American Red Ales, which are harder to describe because Amber Ales are usually lumped in there. I find Amber Ales to be blah. But a Red Ale could be good... take Switchback's as an example. It uses roasted malts, so it's got more of a roasted flavor. It's actually quite tasty. And I had an Amber Ale from Baxter Brewing in Maine that was terrific, but it had a nice hoppy flavor to it. So they can vary... but most people who have gotten into very flavorful beers tend not to like them while people who drink nothing but Bud will use them as a starting point into craft beer.
Most of the reds I have had taste like the Switchback Red.......maybe I'm just not a fan. Vermonster left me with a neither like or dislike feeling. I've had the option of having one since and just pass it by as it wasn't anything special to me.

We just polished off the Fat Jack from SA......it was alright, I'd buy it again on sale.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
At the Warren Store, one of 3 retail outlets for Lawson's it been Chinooked($6.99) the past couple of weeks. Basically, it doesn't matter what Lawson beer is available, gets delivered on Thursday, out by Fri afternoon or Sat morn. Curious if the Fayston Maple is coming out this fall. It retails for $15. On Sat a father and son from Ct flew in to the Sugarbush Airport just to come to the store for a case of Lawsons. There is a strict 4 beer per person limit at the store but these guys had made a deal with Lawson so they left very happy.

Heddy Topper goes out just as fast, the cannery ran out so this past holiday weekend it was not available, at least at the Warren Store. Really bummed out some people.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 AM

Had James on tap on Saturday and it was outstanding as usual, great quality beer.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 PM

I believe Lawson's will be at farmers market in waitsfield on sept 15

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 AM

The Vermont Brewers Association says Grateful Hands Brewing is opening this weekend in Cabot and will specialize in dark beers.Owner Ricky McLain will pour samples of his beers and sell containers called growlers on Saturday. His initial four offerings include an American brown ale called Time and an American stout called Courage.
Grateful Hands is considered a nano-brewery because of the size of each batch of beer, 20 gallons. The Brewers Association says McLain expects to start off selling growlers from the brewery and at farmerís markets and eventually start bottling.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
Lawson will be on sale at the Waitsfield Farmers Market on 9/15, 9-1PM. This week we got an interesting Lawson beer, Sessions in the Rye. If your curious I could probably find out what beers will be availble at the market this Sat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or