U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM

444 posts, read 685,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
We are really lucky here in Waterbury with the trifecta of the Reservoir, Black Back and Prohibition Pig...if we lived elsewhere it would definitely be harder to stay away.
We do have the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol, which is only a 15 minute drive from where I live, but I haven't been impressed by their beer. At least they have good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 PM

986 posts, read 2,032,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Well, I was speaking hypothetically, since I've never even been there. The concept at Hill Farmstead is very appealing in several respects. I think, especially with their limited increase in production and international reputation (publicized by The New York Times) and the ongoing fad status of microbrews, they're going to remain packed for a while. I'm like you though and won't wait in line for much of anything. I've only had a Hill Farmstead beer once, when I was in a bar in Montpelier. I got sick of Heady Topper after a few cases (and a few hundred dollars). Lawson's is so hit-and-miss at the Warren Store that I don't bother going there either. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm moving from beer to whisky. I think old Scotch tastes better than any beer I've ever had. It's just expensive and probably worse for your liver if you don't watch it.
I don't think there's anyone who cares about craft beer who hasn't heard about Hill Farmstead at this point. Sure, there are always new people coming into craft beer who will hear about it and make the trek, but anyone who cares about it knows. It doesn't matter who publishes an article about him (I'm pretty sure he's been written up in other national publications before).

His beer is worth the trip and waiting a bit, but there's very little that's worth spending an entire day to get it, including his beer. There's a lot of hype around his brewery, but that's to be expected.

And there are plenty of other breweries starting up and doing the same as him, not expanding more than they want, for the sole purpose of keeping it fun and interesting for them. The people who start those kinds of breweries don't do so because they want to make a ton of money. They do it because they love what they do. And there will be more and more people doing the same. Heck, I've thought about doing something similar, though for me it's more likely to be a brewpub than a brewery (although a brewery is probably less work than a brewpub).

Quote:
Quite frankly, I find it much easier and pleasant to just hit up one of the bars in town and get HF there. I haven't been up to the brewery at all since we moved up here, which is pretty ironic lol.
You should go at least once. It's seriously worth it. The beer is fantastic. And when it's had fresh at the brewery (though I doubt any kegs at bars are kept too long), it's amazing. Plus you can try the different beers he has as opposed to whatever the bar carries (most likely Edward and maybe a couple others).

Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

986 posts, read 2,032,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
We do have the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol, which is only a 15 minute drive from where I live, but I haven't been impressed by their beer. At least they have good food.
I really enjoyed the beer at Bobcat Cafe. And the food was fabulous!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,236,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
You should go at least once. It's seriously worth it. The beer is fantastic. And when it's had fresh at the brewery (though I doubt any kegs at bars are kept too long), it's amazing. Plus you can try the different beers he has as opposed to whatever the bar carries (most likely Edward and maybe a couple others).
Oh we've gone many times, but that was before we moved up here lol...just haven't trekked up there since we got up here. No particular reason why...

The bars here in town are particularly good at mixing it up - though Edward is definitely a mainstay, they frequently have at least two or three others on tap that change every week or two. Obviously we'd get more at the farm, but Twilight of the Idols and Everett are my two favorites and they're on tap a lot through the winter...

Old 01-20-2014, 05:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,269,967 times
Quote:
Oh we've gone many times, but that was before we moved up here lol...just haven't trekked up there since we got up here. No particular reason why...

The bars here in town are particularly good at mixing it up - though Edward is definitely a mainstay, they frequently have at least two or three others on tap that change every week or two. Obviously we'd get more at the farm, but Twilight of the Idols and Everett are my two favorites and they're on tap a lot through the winter...
Twilight is my favorite all time beer I believe.....

Everett is obviously outstanding as well, neither is worth 2+ hours in line.....I'll take 85-90% of what Twilight is with no lines from other breweries.......

I have no problem driving by HFS and checking the lines and if they are long I just go hunting, fishing or snowshoeing.....

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,236,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Twilight is my favorite all time beer I believe.....

Everett is obviously outstanding as well, neither is worth 2+ hours in line.....I'll take 85-90% of what Twilight is with no lines from other breweries.......
Agree with you 100%...Twilight is my favorite beer also, but there are other options that can fill in just fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,784,746 times
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...maller-brewery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or