Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:10 AM

155 posts, read 613,786 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out if the graffiti we saw while driving in downtown and in the old north end is gang related or just kids bored out of their mind. We plan to move to the Burlington area in March (we are looking at South Burlington). But want a better idea of what the graffiti is all about there. I was surprised by how much I saw in the “not so good” which really I saw as just the poorer part of town. Coming from the Baltimore, MD area I have to say it is nothing like here but it still took us a by surprise. We did happen to see a kid (maybe 14-15 yrs old) spraying on a building as we drove past which was kind of sad to see since there are so many beaches, parks, and things to do there. Why waste time making graffiti?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 AM

122 posts, read 458,260 times
There was an article in the Burlington Free Press the other day (last week, maybe?) about two kids, about 14-15, who were caught spraying the city. Apparently there's a anti-graffiti task force in Burlington now, who try to educate kids, deter them from doing it, and how the community can help prevent it. I personally think it's a combination of boredom, wanting to look "cool" and just plain old rebelious behavior in kids who are probably "troubled" in one sense of the word or another. I'm sure there's someone out there claiming it's a form of artistic expression, yada yada, but when it's happening to these old, historic buildings, or new multi-million dollar ones, it's not cool, either way you cut it.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
There was an article in the Brattleboro Reformer about a couple of people who burglarized and vandalized a house there. Really trashed it. The house, I think, appeared abandoned, but it was owned and cared for. Horrifying. I hope this is an isolated incident.

I don't want to move up from NYC to be a crime victim in Brattleboro!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Wherever there are kids, there are graffiti, in my experience. If it was evidence of Gangs, our neighbors would probably start to lock thier doors...

I live in Burlington though,

...you can practically ride your bike to VT from here ;-)

Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah I know I am just trying to find out if there is real gang issues or if it is just kids being stupid. When we drove thru downtown and up to North Beach I was taken back by the graffiti. I was not really thinking we would see that there.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Out here in So Calif, there is gang graffiti on so many things. It is disgusting. They spray everything, road signs, buildings, bridges, sidewalks, school buildings, construction items, etc...and then they throw a pair of tennis shoes tied together over the power pole wires, as to claim that this is "their" territory. ...it is sickening. I hope moving to Southern Vermont, I wont have to look at that crap!! Yeah defacing a building is so tough. The gang bangers out here make me sick.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I think it's just kids being stupid. No real need to worry, in my opinion, about gangs. They may exist, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTeratheart View Post
Yeah, I think it's just kids being stupid. No real need to worry, in my opinion, about gangs. They may exist, but I wouldn't worry about it.
I guess they could be anywhere, sad fact of life. That is another reason added to a long list for our move out of this state.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Gang related? I think not. Bored, yup... You decide....
Burlington Free Press.com |

Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the newspaper link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont