U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 AM

340 posts, read 1,059,627 times

Advertisements

I plan on going to Mt Snow on Saturday 2/4 for skiing.

1) is it safe on a fri night to drive from nyc to stowe because of snow conditions on the roads getting there?

2) Is Mt Snow the best place to go in Vermont or would you reccomend somewhere else?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
I plan on going to Mt Snow on Saturday 2/4 for skiing.

1) is it safe on a fri night to drive from nyc to stowe because of snow conditions on the roads getting there?

2) Is Mt Snow the best place to go in Vermont or would you reccomend somewhere else?

Thanks
I do as little winter night driving in Vermont as possible, especially since slashed budgets appear to be affecting our plowing frequency.

It all depends on the weather. Black ice is a very real issue here.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
I have driven from NYC to Stowe late at night several times and I wouldn't recommend it...especially on 89. 89 is very temperamental - you can have clear roads for one mile and then have zero visibility and tons of snow the next mile...

Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM

986 posts, read 2,026,200 times
I drove from Providence, RI to Smugglers' Notch on a Sunday evening. It was snowing and dark for the last couple hours of my drive starting on 89 in about Randolph and not stopping at all. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but it wasn't horrible.

The best place for skiing depends on what you like. Mount Snow is closest to NYC and is a good mountain, but it gets crowded on weekends (most do). However, I'm wondering why you would drive to Stowe to ski Mount Snow. Stowe is another 2 hours north of there.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
Night driving and day driving can be horrible. The temps have been so low the past few days (well below zero) that the roads look and seem perfectly clear, but there is a thin film of ice on the surface. This AM there were several BIG accidents and road closures due to this.
If you are coming to the Central Vermont area to ski, don't waste your time going to Stowe. It is a tourist trap and it is usually crowded. By far the best place to ski in the area or even in the state would be Sugarbush. Two friends I work with race throughout the region and this is where they ski. My friend Rick lives about five minutes from Stowe and he thinks the terrain and conditions at Sugarbush are the best in the state.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM

340 posts, read 1,059,627 times
i said mt snow by mistake. i meant stowe mountain for skiing. although i dont want to get in an accident friday night driving all the way up there until 11pm. i guess i wont go as its impossible to leave saturday if i wanna ski saturday.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Sugarbush is on my list for skiing (though my wife doesn't seem to want to go there). It looks awesome, and I love the MRV (I'd go to MRG, but I like snow).

Stowe is also on my list, but I would not do it on a weekend. Killington is also on my list, but near the bottom due to the stories I've heard from people. I would also not do Killington on a weekend.

As for driving up at night, if it's not snowing and visibility is good, you should be fine as long as you're careful.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
I have not seen the forcast for the weekend yet, but I agree, if it's clear and road conditions are good, you should be fine. Keep in mind to take it easy. Temps are much lower at night and the incidence of black ice is much higher. You should check out Sugarbush. It will be worth it. The lines are horrible at places like Killington and stowe, especially on the weekends.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I have not seen the forcast for the weekend yet, but I agree, if it's clear and road conditions are good, you should be fine. Keep in mind to take it easy. Temps are much lower at night and the incidence of black ice is much higher. You should check out Sugarbush. It will be worth it. The lines are horrible at places like Killington and stowe, especially on the weekends.
What are lines at Sugarbush like on the weekends? I have a few long weekends still this year and may head back to VT for some skiing if I don't do it all in NH (which is closer to us and easier to get to). I hate waiting in line, which is why my most visited mountain is Cannon in Franconia Notch (close to VT, but in NH).

Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
We were in Stowe for a week earlier this month and man, the difference of going on a Tuesday vs a Sat/Sun is huge. The mountain was practically empty. If I lived up there, I would never go on the weekends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont