Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,963 times

Advertisements

My husband are relocating to Vermont and have to live within 30 minutes of the Grand Isle Ferry (due to work requirements). We have looked at homes in the Grand Isle/South Hero area as well as Milton. From my understanding the schools in the "Islands" are quite small but in high school you can choose a school (and I've heard Essex is the place to go) but I was looking for some feedback on Milton schools. And any feedback on living in either area would be beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
If your husband has to be within 30 min of the ferry, does that mean he will be working in NY? If so why not live on that side of the lake. I don't know how the schools are, but it is much more affordable than the Vermont side. If you need or want to be on the Vermont side, there are more options than Milton and the islands. You can add Colchester and parts of Essex to your list. We live in Malletts Bay and it is only about 20 min to the ferry. Most kids in the islands come to Colchester for high school. The school is good as well as Essex High, but depending on where you live in the islands, it can take an hour or more to get to or from school in Essex. The islands are nice, but there is little development and living there requires travel to shop, etc. Home prices tend to be higher as well.
Schools are a subject that is difficult to talk about. What may be a good school this year or in the past, may change in the next few years. Milton and several other towns are going through budget issues with their schools now, and the rest of the state will follow suite in the next year or two. How this will effect things, no one knows for sure. The goal is not to have quality go down, but it is impossible to say that will be the case. In Colchester we have had several teacher positions cut in the past year. One way to offset the cuts was to have virtual classrooms (teachers in other states who teach the class through a internet connection, much like web conferencing)that are much more affordable. Some like this while others hate it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,963 times
Thank you 68Vette for responding to my post. We actually live in New York now and his job is in Vermont. We are excited about the move to Vermont but it is quite stressful because the housing market is much higher than where we are now. We are trying to find an area that is great for kids, affordable, as well as less than 30 minutes to the ferry. We are trying to actually stay within 20 minututes to the ferry because I have another 30 minute drive to work on the New York side. We have recently started a more serious search in the Colchester area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont