U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:01 PM

224 posts, read 625,335 times

Advertisements

I think it's many jobs, though engineers and IT people seem to do alright. There are actually a *lot* of doctors, lawyers, and psychologists. I'm surprised to hear the low wages for nurses as Fletcher Allen is consistently searching for nurses. Howard is consistently looking for social workers as well, though I doubt they are paid as well as in other states.

It really depends on what you're used to as to how high you consider the cost of living vs. how much you're making. I am college-educated and currently make $27000 in an industry in which I could easily make $35000-45000 in a place like northern Virginia (my former hometown). The lack of jobs has pushed me into a less-skilled position than I would otherwise have. That said, the benefits and flexible scheduling I receive from my employer are excellent and the cost of living is much lower than in northern VA. I could probably live comfortably off my $27000 if I didn't have quite so many college loans to pay back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:33 AM

124 posts, read 571,338 times
In a previous entry, "68vette" wrote:

"We both earn more than $30/hr"

"We are able to take advantage of many of the nice things Vt has to offer, but we may need to move because we may not have enough to live on when we reach retirement[.]"

I am curious...you had mentioned in an earlier post here that you and your wife, who work in the health care industry earn more than $30 per hour. Do you mean $30 per hour each? If this is the case, that would mean your annual income exceeds $124,800, based on both of you working 40hours each week with no overtime!! In my opinion, you have no fears of retiring on SS only with that kind of income in the 6 figures in VT. If your total income is $30 per hour combined, then I can see your point, although $62,400 per year is a very enviable salary for VT; in fact I dare say that 75 percent of all full-time VT'ers earn less than this......

Best,

Pidgett

Old 08-19-2007, 11:53 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
Our anual income is over 125,000 per year combined. I have stated that we make more money than most in the state, but there are many things that eat into that. We live in Colchester because that's where my step children were raised and go to school. My children go to school in Barre where my ex-wife lives(joint custody). I drive my children back and forth between Colchester and Barre every other week. I have a credit card that I use just for gas and that bill averages over $1000 per month. My wife drives from Colchester to Dartmouth Hitchcock in NH to work. Most of the expences we have are for the children.we havea big mortgage because we need to have a home large enough to sleep 7 people. It's not a huge home and not a new home, it has 2500 sf. Colchester taxes are insane. We pay $5000 in property tax so our kids can continue to go to the school system they spent their whole lives in. Many would think I have nothing to complain about, but if we did the jobs we do anywhere else, we would make double what we make now. We could make more and have the same quality of life if we lived out of state. My wife wouldn't have to drive 1.5 hrs to work also, but we do it for our children. My brother inlaw works for Fidelity as told us both we need to put more in retirement and that we need to increase our income in order to make ends meet. If we didn't have kids we would be on easy street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont