U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times

Advertisements

I assume alot of folks, including me, were digging out in northern Vermont and the Daks this morning.

Beautiful day tho, deep blue sky in the morning. After shoveling I decided to venture out and take some pics. I should have done more on shoveling out my mailbox but it looked so cool leaving like that. Hope the mailman and newspaper guy have a sense of humor.

Around here we got about 28", the 2007 Valentines storm was 42" so this isn't so bad. Lots of power outages in southern Vermont so not much snow down there but a trying day for them nonetheless. We did have a busy local bridge closed due to ice jam flooding on the Mad River.

Maple sap could flow end of this week, especially down south.
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Snowstorm in Northern VT 3/7/11-winterbarn20113.jpg   Massive Snowstorm in Northern VT 3/7/11-gnomefeedder20112.jpg   Massive Snowstorm in Northern VT 3/7/11-mailbox20111.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,296,293 times
Well, at least you still have a mailbox! Mine's going to take a little more work. In the spring. If it ever gets here.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,743,656 times
more snow.!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 AM

819 posts, read 1,266,685 times
For the record my friend who plows my place couldn't get more than a few hundred feet down my 900' driveway/road with his F250 Plow truck......was heading over with a loader last I heard this morning.

I can't wait to roll into that mess tomorrow night........should be awesome. Love the snow, hate the mix with rain and mud is no good for anyone....

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
Its going to be nasty! Wind and flood watches/warnings have been posted. We've changed over to rain in the champlain valley.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,296,293 times
Right now it's a mix of rain & freezing rain here in the NEK. The roads seem busted up worse than usual this year. A few large Cattle barns collapsed after Monday's snow taking some of the cows with them. Always hate to see that sort of thing happen. The first few weeks of spring won't be very pretty this year, but at least they should be interesting.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM

400 posts, read 724,026 times
I'm praying for it to melt off my roof. I can't get to the top with the snow rake and I've been to tired to tackle the lower part again. Then my boiler died yesterday. I've got a slushy soupy mess of snow and I'm losing driveway territory fast. I tried to clean up the new snowfall with my blower and it clogged with slush.

I laugh at the still have a mailbox comment. Mine was already destroyed once this year and my repair job looks like it might not be able to take the pounding.

I'm basically just holding on by my fingernails until spring here...and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:28 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I'm praying for it to melt off my roof. I can't get to the top with the snow rake and I've been to tired to tackle the lower part again. Then my boiler died yesterday. I've got a slushy soupy mess of snow and I'm losing driveway territory fast. I tried to clean up the new snowfall with my blower and it clogged with slush.

I laugh at the still have a mailbox comment. Mine was already destroyed once this year and my repair job looks like it might not be able to take the pounding.

I'm basically just holding on by my fingernails until spring here...and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it!
true story

We have a covered porch so we have a typical downward sloping roof and then the outward sloping roof over the porch. We get the usual hanging curl of snow and ice when the weather goes above freezing. A few weeks ago I went out and knocked some of the curls off with a heavy broom. All of a sudden I heard a lot of creaking and growning-I should have ran. The entire load of snow came off the roof at one time, and since it went over the relatively flat roof over the porch, it didn't go straight down to the ground but straight out, like a skier going off a ski jump. And I was ten feet in front of it. I tried to run but it knocked me down and covered my entire body except for my head. I felt it move it's way up my body and I realized I could get completely buried. I was lucky. I was toward the side of the front yard. If I was in the center I would have been completely covered, and no one else was home as the snow went beyond me in that part of the yard.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
Wow...crazy story. Glad you made it okay...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Wow...crazy story. Glad you made it okay...
Since we have flatter roofs in the front and back, over the bathroom, I've often used the snow rake while up on a ladder. I'll never do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or