U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 24,534 times

Advertisements

hey everyone,

I thought this was a good week to ask....

We've moving to Burlington area shortly w/ 2 little kids, from a non-snow place (but with snow in the mtns, where carrying/using chains are required in winter).

Do most people have at least one AWD vehicle? Or folks manage with FWD and snow tires? If the former, we may try to trade in our old cars for a new used car w/ AWD, (maybe subu or volvo etc) and doing it out here first before we move may make sense.

thanks for your input
a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,780,741 times
If you are going to be living in a suburban or urban neighborhood FWD with snow tires will be fine. If you are going to live in a more rural area with long driveways and dirt roads etc I would recommend an AWD with snow tires.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,528,081 times
I'm a native of South Florida, which is where I learned to drive. In 1988, I moved to a house down 3 miles of dirt road in southern NH, commuted 45 minutes each way to work, and for 18 months commuted twice a week to Cambridge, MA. Since 1996, I've lived in more developed Rutland, VT. For 2 years I commuted about 80 miles to grad school 2-3 weekends per month.

I have never had an all-wheel drive car. I've had several front-wheel drive cars with 4 good snow tires (not just the front 2) and done just fine. Heck, when I met my husband, he was driving around Vermont in a clunky real-wheel drive van and NO snow tires in winter (I couldn't even maneuver that thing around the driveway in winter and don't recommend it).

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

10,305 posts, read 11,212,063 times
I agree.

Depending on your location, if you are relying solely on four good snow tires, you may get one or two days in the winter when you're immobilized. In the areas of the state where most people live, definitely including most of Chittenden County, you should be fine.

Just remember: drive slowly, turn slowly, stop slowly.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 PM

16,945 posts, read 22,255,374 times
If you can get 4wd get it. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I've been driving a 2wd vehicle around all winter and it can get scary sometimes (and it's real fun getting it un-stuck too when it hits a really bad spot...). I've been driving a lot of backroads all winter trapping but even paved highways and roads in town aren't always that great here (Rutland County), esp. around low salt areas. I'm getting a 4wd vehicle as soon as I find a good deal on one I like and get some other things sorted out...

Snow tires are a must in winter. I'd also get chains if you will be driving to any backroads during the winter for anything...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM

819 posts, read 1,269,317 times
I agree with Artic on this one as well........

If you can get AWD or 4wd why not? I mean just because you can get by in 95% of the situations with a FWD car and snow tires isn't a good reason not to get a AWD car when all is equal. I mean, we could also perform brain surgery with a rusty spoon if we wanted to, doesn't mean it is the best option........

Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,234,865 times
One reason not to get AWD if you don't absolutely need it is gas efficiency...the additional weight of the AWD system can reduce a cars mpg ability by 10mpg or more...considering what gas is going for now (and who knows where it's going), this can add up.

But obviously, if you are living off back roads that are not plowed well, etc, go for AWD.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,904,373 times
When I moved up here from NYC over 2 years ago, I had the same question.

But I discovered that I was fine with my FWD car. But I did buy studded snow tires for winter (and also better tires for the warmer months). So far, I have had no problems. Well, I did have to call AAA when I got stuck in a snowbank, but I don't know whether or not AWD would have helped me.

I live in a semi-urban town in southern Vermont, but I do drive on dirt roads on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, I do plan for my next car to be AWD. I'm waiting for a Subaru hybrid!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,669,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
When I moved up here from NYC over 2 years ago, I had the same question.

But I discovered that I was fine with my FWD car. But I did buy studded snow tires for winter (and also better tires for the warmer months). So far, I have had no problems. Well, I did have to call AAA when I got stuck in a snowbank, but I don't know whether or not AWD would have helped me.

I live in a semi-urban town in southern Vermont, but I do drive on dirt roads on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, I do plan for my next car to be AWD. I'm waiting for a Subaru hybrid!
I could get by with snow tires except for my uphill driveway. We have an fwd that gets stuck all the time. Nerve wracking.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

281 posts, read 1,081,186 times
I have an AWD with all-seasons on them.Thought I could get by saving a little money this year since I purchased the all-seasons this summer.Next year I am going back to snow tires on the AWD.Too many close calls without them and they just made me feel a bit safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont